UKC

gunman at large in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 02 Jun 2010

Really. This looks really unpleasant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10214661.stm
Clauso 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Yeah, bad news... It was thought to be a single death at first, but is now being given as 'several'.
 The New NickB 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Seems quite random and all the more scary for West Cumbria residents for it.
Clauso 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Fingers crossed for Ridge of this parish...
 summo 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad: radio2 says the police think he has headed off into Eskdale. Grim stuff.
 Axel Smeets 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Radio 4 reported 11 dead (unconfirmed). This is dreadful. Hungerford and Dunblane memories brought to the fore.
 MHutch 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Folk in Coniston and Ambleside now be asked to get indoors and stay there. They think he may have another car.
Daithi O Murchu 02 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:

hell be dead before bed time
 SCC 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

Very possibly. Hopefully without any more innocent people being hurt.
OP toad 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad: BBC TV just reported "on foot in the boot area" Anyone got friends on Scafell today? - be worth giving them a ring
 David Hooper 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad: Just seen TV
7 shot , 3-4 deaths so far - started in Whitehaven, last heading toward Eskdale in either black or silver car - shooter is 53 year old male - absolutely shocking - spread the word to anyone you know up there -
Kind of more shocking cos its the Lakes rather than some urban place
 Monk 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Bloody hell. That's not the sort of thing you expect to hear about in the UK. Terrible news. Hope they apprehend him pretty sharpish.
 teflonpete 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Hope they apprehend him pretty sharpish.

They probably won't.

If you look at Dunblane and Hungerford, the nutters turned the guns on themselves after a spree.
 another_mark 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Monk:

Sounds like random shootings? Guy on R4 just described seeing 3 dead inc 1 cyclist and a driver.

Also mention of the bus crash last week (one of the funerals today apparently) - no idea if any connection?
 Monk 02 Jun 2010
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Monk)
> [...]
>
> They probably won't.
>
> If you look at Dunblane and Hungerford, the nutters turned the guns on themselves after a spree.

That's an acceptable result too - dead men can't shoot people.
 eivindf 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Monk: But dead men can inspire other men
 SFM 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:

You might want to delete this. Comes across as extremely poor taste.
 SCC 02 Jun 2010
In reply to SFM:

Seconded.
Simon Overton 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:

I agree. If I was him I would head for the fells but making a joke about it is poor taste. Will be hard to find him on the fells also. You can't swoop a helicopter on every tourist. I'm certainly staying indoors.
 Axel Smeets 02 Jun 2010
In reply to SFM:

Agreed.
In reply to toad: I really hope he doesn't kill himself and he is apprehended safely by the police so he can be treated and made to live up to what he's done.
stuartgmilton 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:

Strange chap!?!
 Monk 02 Jun 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to toad) I really hope he doesn't kill himself and he is apprehended safely by the police so he can be treated and made to live up to what he's done.

I've never understood this approach - all that will happen is people will mutter about how useful the death penalty would be. I just hope he stops shooting people, the sooner the better.

Also, I have just remembered it is half term - Eskdale is going to be busy. Very scary.
 JayH 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Blimey. BBC news website cites 2 dead. If it's far more (ie it's possibly random shootings), then that explains why people are being warned to lock themselves indoors, Sellafield is on alert and his car reg number has been published. Scary and shocking indeed
 smollett 02 Jun 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
I don't. I hope he doesn't survive to become a burden on the tax payer for his trial and imprisonment.
 MHutch 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Monk:

They've just had the landlord of the Boot Inn on the phone - loads of punters holed up in the pub, and in the barns near the campsite. Hopefully all the roads are now locked down so even if he does get another vehicle, he's not getting to the bigger towns.
 NickD 02 Jun 2010
In reply to SFM:
> If you are implying that this thread is in some way voyeristic then you are way wide of the mark.

Really? How are we all helping?
Tim Chappell 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:

This is one way of pooling information which may be vitally important for the safety of those in the area-- with whom are my thoughts and prayers right now.
 NickD 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> This is one way of pooling information which may be vitally important for the safety of those in the area-- with whom are my thoughts and prayers right now.

omg theres a gunman on the loose better ask ukc what to do
 SFM 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Tim Chappell:

My point exactly. Except I managed to delete my post!
 smollett 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:
Well it has helped me. I have family in the lakes who hadn't heard what was going on until I told them. This thread was the first I heard of it so yes I am happy it is here. I suggest you make flippant comments in another thread
 SCC 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:
> (In reply to SFM)
> [...]
>
> Really? How are we all helping?

I guess we're not really, but we're not making jokes about it.

And now that the mods have removed your earlier post - neither are you.

Axel Smeets 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
> [...]
>
> omg theres a gunman on the loose better ask ukc what to do

No - what if someone is browsing on here and is alerted to the situation by this thread? Think it through a little.

MHutch 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Axel Smeets:

He's dead.
 Tom Last 02 Jun 2010
In reply to MHutch:
> (In reply to Axel Smeets)
>
> He's dead.

Source?
 Monk 02 Jun 2010
In reply to NickD:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
> [...]
>
> omg theres a gunman on the loose better ask ukc what to do

Considering that we are supposed to be climbers here, and the Lakes is a pretty good climbing destination, it's not actually a bad idea having a thread alerting people to potential danger in the area. I'm sure many people here know others who are in the lakes.

Sure, it could cause unnecessary alarm, but I'd rather be alarmed than shot.
 Tall Clare 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

http://www.cumbria.police.uk/news/latest-news/urgent-public-message-shots-f... - they've found a body believed to be his.
In reply to Southern Man: Reported as such on the Guardian website now.

T.
 MHutch 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Statement from Cumbria police - body found matching his description in woods at Boot. Locals told they can get back to their business, so pretty definite.
 mattrm 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

"1404 BST

Police hunting Derrick Bird, who they suspect went on a shooting rampage which left several people dead, said they believed they had found his body in a wood near Boot, Cumbria. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10216179.stm
softlad 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: westmorland gazette website says a body and a gun have been found in a wooded area near Boot, Eskdale, and that police believe it be the gunman. They are saying that it's safe for folk who are holed up to go about their business now
 NHARRIS 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:
The BBC are report the police may have his body
 teflonpete 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Did he shoot himself?
Sarah G 02 Jun 2010
In reply to teflonpete:
Yes. BBC news is leading on it.
 climbingpixie 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

Really shocking stuff. I have family in Whitehaven and Egremont and spent 9 years living in Frizington. I know my family are all ok but dreading them announcing the names of the dead in case there's anyone who I know on the list. Feeling really shell-shocked about it all - it's not the sort of thing you'd ever expect to happen in a rural backwater like West Cumbria.
Yrmenlaf 02 Jun 2010
In reply to climbingpixie:

Been following this story from work: my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the community.

Y.
 Ridge 02 Jun 2010
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Really shocking stuff. I have family in Whitehaven and Egremont and spent 9 years living in Frizington. I know my family are all ok but dreading them announcing the names of the dead in case there's anyone who I know on the list. Feeling really shell-shocked about it all - it's not the sort of thing you'd ever expect to happen in a rural backwater like West Cumbria.

Yes,it's quite surreal. There's a fair bit of helicopter activity over the back roads, and quite a large police presence in the villages around Ennerdale. In a place where chip pan fires and fisticuffs in Cleator Moor make the headlines it's...well...odd, is probably the best description of how most people are feeling.
OP toad 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Ridge: pleased to see you posting
Franklin the pedantic cat 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad:

pleased to see you posting

Me too.
 HATTSTER 02 Jun 2010
In reply to toad: I drove past where he was parked by the taxi rank about 10-15 mins before it all kicked off, my m8 said he was sat in the car on the corner, parked where he shouldn't have been a few mins later thats how he noticed the car, then they all got locked in the shops as he started shooting.
 climbingpixie 02 Jun 2010
In reply to HATTSTER:

Just talked to my dad. He was walking the dogs down in Seascale about 20 minutes before the gunman came by. There but for the grace of god and all that...
 HATTSTER 02 Jun 2010
> (In reply to HATTSTER)
>
> Just talked to my dad. He was walking the dogs down in Seascale about 20 minutes before the gunman came by. There but for the grace of god and all that...
Good stuff, a few of us had lucky escapes today, and quite a few didnt sadly.
 Ridge 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat and Toad:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> pleased to see you posting

Cheers.

(Never thought anyone would say that!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...