UKC

Lakes Festival of Climbing, 25-27 June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bella 14 Jun 2010
The third annual Lakes Festival of Climbing is from Friday 25 June until Sunday 27 June, in the Duddon Valley. Camping at Turner Hall Farm, or there are other accommodation options down the road at Wallowbarrow Farm or the Newfield Inn.

Pub quiz at the Newfield Inn on Friday night around 9pm. We will have a board up at the campsite for people looking for climbing partners, information on crags in the Duddon and the surrounding area.

Lots of lesser-known crags nearby to climb at, and not too far from Esk Buttress, Dow, or Scafell.

The Newfield Inn will be doing a special climbers' meal on Saturday night until late.

Please bring a nylon brush to help clean up any routes you do over the weekend.

Go to http://www.lakesfestivalofclimbing.co.uk for more information, or post here.
OP Bella 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella: The bird restriction on Stonestar crag in the Duddon is lifted, too, so even more climbing options for the Lakes Festival of Climbing.

Dow, Duddon and Slate guide is out of print, but we will have topos available at the campsite for a donation to Mountain Rescue.
 The New NickB 16 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

I am going to come along to this, looks like a great event.

I will be looking for partners for mountain VSs weather gods permitting.
 sharpie530 16 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

Sounds good, and my local valley! May well have a pedal down!
In reply to Bella: went two years ago, was awesome. good weather, great atmosphere, almost got eaten by Martin K's Huskys!!
Martin Kocsis, BMC 18 Jun 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales: They remember. Frank & Buster will make your aquaintance again, you tasty thing...

Fangs for the reminder!
OP Bella 20 Jun 2010
In reply to The New NickB: Great! The weather has been good for Lakes Fest the last 2 years. Everything is super dry in the lakes now too. Bring a nylon brush to help clean the odd hand hold on some of the routes
OP Bella 20 Jun 2010
In reply to sharpie530: Awesome valley to have as your local!
Nick Colton, BMC 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

Also see this on the BMC website http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=3757
 Tall Clare 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

Just out of interest, how busy is the campsite/pub likely to be?
Martin Kocsis, BMC 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: The campsite is quite extensive, and there are several sections they can open up if demand is high. The last couple of years have seen over 100 people turn up (plus non festival campers) and the site has never been what I would describe as crowded...
 Tall Clare 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Thanks for this. I've stayed at the site several times - my pondering was just because I was thinking of heading over with my boyfriend as he's not stayed there and it's my favourite campsite, but if the pub is likely to be heaving then we'll head elsewhere and go there another weekend. He's not a climber so it wouldn't be a climbing weekend for me.

Sounds like an excellent event though!

Lizzie 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

Are there any nice short climbs with a good base for non climbing 'other halves' to sit and read the papers at?
weather's looking beaut, and really want to come, but can't do great long multi pitches for hours.
any ideas?
thanks
 jl 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Lizzie:

Have a look at cockley crag, a 15 minute drive up the valley, 30 minute walk in but beautiful location and short single pitches. Check out the FRCC web page for new routes since the Dow, Duddon and Slate book was printed.

Jon
In reply to Bella: I am gutted that I ended up in an unfortunate Mountain biking accident and can't make it this weekend! I won't bore/sicken you with the details but I want to come but can't!
 PontiusPirate 21 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

I'm a 'possible' depending on how I 'manage' all the other things I'm meant to be doing this w/e!

Cheers,

James.
 Simmy 22 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

Would love to have gone to this, popped a rib so out of action So taking my daughter to the peak for bouldering instead (me spotting and feeling sad)

Sounds an amazing weekend, how far ahead were the dates set? memo to self pay attention for next year.
 net 22 Jun 2010
In reply to Lizzie: Seathwaite Buttress would be perfect I think:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2153
OP Bella 24 Jun 2010
In reply to Simmy: Dates were set about 8 months ago. There is lots of bouldering in the lakes, though. Eskdale boulders aren't too far from the Duddon valley, and St Bees is ok for a day trip from the campsite too.
OP Bella 24 Jun 2010
In reply to Lizzie: There are plenty of single pitch crags and bouldering nearby. Brandy crag (3 different crags in the Duddon), and eskdale granite crags are nearby. Some of St Bees has recently been re-bolted and it's do-able in a day trip from Seathwaite too. There are a few new crags in the Duddon valley that are all single pitch, bring a nylon brush to help give the handholds a quick clean.
OP Bella 24 Jun 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Lots of mountain biking and walking in the area too. As Martin has already said, the campsite has never felt crowded or full, but the pub on Saturday night is likely to be busy.
OP Bella 25 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella: Supported by Marmot, who are providing prizes for the evening entertainment events.

New festival beer - "After the Floods" available at the Newfield Inn.

Thanks for BMC support too.
 The New NickB 25 Jun 2010
In reply to Bella:

Is anyone looking for a partner for tomorrow, I probably won't get to the pub until 10 ish tonight, so it would be good to establish some plans in advance.
 PontiusPirate 25 Jun 2010
In reply to The New NickB:

Well I'll be arriving hopefully before 9p.m. so I may well be in the same boat as you...

Unfortunately, although I'm free to stay both nights, I'm only free to climb tomorrow (need to be back in West Yorks for Sunday afternoon).

Given the forecast, it'll be interesting to see just how busy this do is!

Cheers,

PP.
 The New NickB 25 Jun 2010
In reply to PontiusPirate:

I am in a similar situation.
OP Bella 25 Jun 2010
In reply to The New NickB: The BMC will have a gazebo at Turner Hall Farm campsite, and there will be a whiteboard to "advertise" for partners. The last couple of years, people have used this or just asked around in the pub the evening before or at the campsite in the morning.

Remember to bring a plastic brush and please try to visit some of the lesser known crags to help keep them clean
In reply to Bella:

If things go well at work - I shoudl be set up at the campsite and in the pub in time for the quiz tonight!

PP.
In reply to Bella:

I've tried several times to get through to the campsite, but no answer, anyone any idea if there's still 'space'? (The 'official' website suggests booking... its a fair way to go to find there's no space...)

PP.
 Ben Callard 25 Jun 2010

I haven't tried but on the website it says its big and can be expanded, so I'm going to play it by ear. I should think it'll be fine.

See you there.
 Offwidth 28 Jun 2010

For future reference the campsite is unlikely to run out of space.

I spent two days on Wallobarrow Crag and found it perfect for some pleasant multipitch star ticking from VD to MVS (and as a holiday from guidebook single pitch grit esoterica). Had almost as much fun in the pub. Thanks again to the organisers, you did a great job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...