UKC

how do you get seagull vomit out of clothes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnl 26 Jul 2010
Last week I was vomited upon, copiously, by a seagull chick (final crux move of Megs got Leukaemia - be warned). After three washes my clothes still stink of fish oil. Any suggestions of how to get rid of the smell before I resort to throwing them away?
In reply to johnl: Best post ever!!!! Haha, this has made my day!!! Lol
 StuDoig 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:
unfortunately after my last run in with a Fulmar I found fire to be the only effective way of getting rid of the smell.....

Stuart
 scott titt 26 Jul 2010
In reply to StuDoig:
The birds nesting by Meg's....are Fulmars. To quote a friend who got Fulmar puked-"You wash your clothes twice-then throw them away"
In reply to johnl:

I think you'd better ask TobyA about his Buffalo top.
 Fiona Reid 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:

One of the local climbers up here had similar happen to him and now wears that item of clothing specifically for climbing at the sea cliffs - he couldn't get rid of the smell either.

deepstar 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl: Talking of strong seaside smells,I once found a pair of Oakley sunglasses at Swanage(they were really trendy ones,sort of Tiger skin pattern)and my Daugther really liked them unfortunately as I had picked them up out of a pile of rotting seaweed they really stank.I tried all sorts of stuff to get the smell off them,bleach,detol,you name it nothing worked so I put them out on the back step hoping that fresh air would eventually do the trick.No such luck,our stupid Border terrier Boo ate them!
 Chris F 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl: Cut around the areas that got vomit on them, then sew patches onto the holes. Only guaranteed way, unless washing them has spread the vomit throughout the entire garment.
 jamestheyip 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:

Both my partner's Goretex jacket and my softshell were puked on by a Fulmar. We washed the jackets and the smell stayed on for another couple of weeks or so before it disappeared. Wasn't that bad.

I didn't use anything special for washing my jacket just a standard cycle (with soup flake/washing powder) with my normal clothes.

I once had to wash a large patch of blood stain off my tent ground sheet (which was used in a rescue). Tried different detergents and it still smelled horribly. Soaked it in a bucket of diluted warm tea at the end and the smell went away immediately. I found dried tea leaves (green tea being the best) also work well for removing smell from climbing shoes. Might worth a try. Adding a slice of lemon into the tea might help too (seriously - lemon works great on removing fishy smell).
Wiley Coyote2 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:

Since the puking is often (always?) chicks in nests the only thing I've found that works is to piss on the disgusting little so and so's once you are above them to see how they like it. It doesn't get rid of the smell but somehow it helps......
 Clarence 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> Since the puking is often (always?) chicks in nests the only thing I've found that works is to piss on the disgusting little so and so's once you are above them...

Just check that they are neither hungry nor in pecking range first.
 CurlyStevo 26 Jul 2010
In reply to jamestheyip:
yeah I got some fulmar vomit on me also and smell went after washing everything, it wasn't that much though and prolly mostly went on my hands.
OP johnl 26 Jul 2010
In reply to jamestheyip: Going to try the tea idea, will report back on its success.
Thanks, John.
 thin bob 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:
Easy.

Scrub them with petrel.......
OP johnl 26 Jul 2010
In reply to thin bob: Don't tell me, I stick them on a Skua and Tern them first.
 thin bob 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl: nice!
 newhey 26 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:

Do you think we are that gull able?

You could always try puffin on them
OP johnl 27 Jul 2010
In reply to jamestheyip: The tea idea worked a treat, top tip mate - thanks.
Er, now, does anybody know how to get tea stains out of clothes?
 sutty 27 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:

Dye them all tea coloured, camouflage innit?
 d_b 27 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:

Easy. Soak em in a bucket of fish oil.
 Reach>Talent 27 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl:
Vanish Oxy-action and a good soak should lift tea stains from clothes.

One tip I was told was that if you get any stains that have a large protein content then don't use a hot wash as you end up cooking the stuff on which makes it virtually impossible to clean. So blood, bird vomit, etc should be given a good soak and a cool wash before you try a hot wash to shift the residual smell!
 IPPurewater 28 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl: Sodium Bicarbonate in solution is good for removing odours.
 MLC 28 Jul 2010
This happened to me last year! Not pleasant!

Put clothes in bucket and add half a tub of bicarbonate of soda and a bottle of white vinegar and top up with boiling water. I weighed my clothes down with a brick left for a day and then washed normally in washing machine. no traces of fulmar insides whatsoever!

Helen
zezpwn44 29 Jul 2010
Luckily for me, I've never experienced the vomit of any seabird. Wow, is it really that bad that you couldn't just wear your clothes anyways? What exactly does it smell like anyways?

My son vomitted on me once, and it came off eventually, but apparently seabird puke is different, haha.
 sutty 29 Jul 2010
In reply to zezpwn44:

If you want to know what it is like, go and do Fulmiator on the IOM. Keep popping your head up near the birds nest till it pukes, and with luck it will go over your head. I mis-timed it and got a load in my hair, on a hot sunny day. A rush was made for a tap to remove the worst on the nearest beach but it was touch and go if the hair all came off the day after.
mhaycock 29 Jul 2010
In reply to johnl: Throw them away!
yogoaqpw 02 Aug 2010
In reply to zezpwn44:
> Luckily for me, I've never experienced the vomit of any seabird. Wow, is it really that bad that you couldn't just wear your clothes anyways? What exactly does it smell like anyways?
>
> My son vomitted on me once, and it came off eventually, but apparently seabird puke is different, haha.

It's abolustely disgusting. It smells like rotten fish and some awful sour smell mixed in, and it smells far too strong for you to be able to continue to wear your clothes after getting vomitted on.
 Wendy14 18 Aug 2010
In reply to johnl: this happened to me a couple of weeks ago, iv just about got rid of the smell but can still see the stain, tryed vanish but no use, any suggestions??? my boyfriend is a little annoyed as it is on his paramo jacket too as i had borrowed it, washed my rab trousers but trying everythin on them first so as not to damage the paramo anymore, any help please??
 Tattysmith 23 Aug 2010
In reply to johnl: Tech Wash?
 pebbles 23 Aug 2010
In reply to johnl: pity we didnt read this post earlier, the fulmar is still there, still chalking up notches on its nest
 Wendy14 15 Sep 2010
In reply to johnl:

tech wash worked on paramo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...