UKC

Advice: Rab Super Dru or Paramo Quito?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marijnpeter 01 Sep 2010
I need advice: I want to buy an allround jacket for amost everything: commuting (daily) (lot of rain!!!, offroad biking(once a week) and climbing/scrambling (2/3 times a year) I've shorted my list to these two: Rab Super Dru or Paramo Quito. I know they're different jackets, but which one should I buy. I live in the Netherlands, Paramo is not sold here so I have to buy online.

Thanks for you're help
Marijn
 gdp 02 Sep 2010
In reply to marijnpeter:
I own a Rab Super Dru. It fits me excellently, was a reasonable price (for a lightweight mounatineering jacket) packs down nice and small and breathes well.
Unfortunately after 12 months use it also leaks like a seive. I tested this by putting about 2cm water in the jacket and leaving it over a jug for a couple of hours. after 1 hr all the water was in the jug. I sent the jacket back to Rab who confirmed the jacket leaked but I could not recieve a new one as, apparently, the jacket that is ideal for guides, had been used too much. (I had used it a fair bit, but I'm not a guide and was living in the Alps for most of the year so didn't have to get the jacket out my 'sac too often, it doesn't rain like in my native Scotland!)
Now I just use the jacket for ski mountaineering when it only has to deal with snow and wind, which it copes with admirably, however it's not quite what I was after when I bought it.
Hope this helps, by contrast my wifes Berghaus paclite is now 6 years old, winter and summer, ski touring and climbing, still keeps the rain out.
 Dribble223 02 Sep 2010
In reply to gdp:

I also have a super dru. After 12 months its falling apart, and leaks like a sieve. The zip's are crap - they leak when they bend. All the pockets on mine fill with water when it rains. The material is so thin that it wears through easily, barely holds the DWR, and wets out super quick. Basically, if you want to use it once only its epic. I keep mine now as a windbreaker, or for summer alpine use where we might get light rain in high winds. Any volume of water will piss through it. If you want a jacket that will last, don't buy it. Buy a mountain equipment Konga.
thegreatape 02 Sep 2010
In reply to marijnpeter: I recently bought a Quito to replace an ancient Velez smock. It is noticeably lighter and thinner, but it's too early to tell if it is noticeably cooler as a result (too warm for it really at this time of year). I've worn it a couple of times in heavy rain and there is no reduction in "waterproofing" compared to the old one. The vents are good, elbow to waist, and the hood fits well. It is however very short at the front, with minimal overlap between the hem of the jacket and trousers, and there is precious little arse coverage. This doesn't bother me but it might for some. If the quality is on a par with the Velez then it will last years without any signs of wear. I was a little sceptical of the durability of the thinner outer material before buying, but couldn't find any negative reports in this respect, so bought one. In contrast, I also have a Rab VR jacket which is the third one Equip sent me as the first two developed faults in 3-4 months. To be fair, they didn't quibble over it, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...