UKC

Giving up climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Walnut 13 Sep 2010
When you get to a certain age,(e.g. 40 ) Do you ever think, "now is the time to hang up them boots?"
 chris wyatt 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: Well I'm 48 and I havent so far. Mind you I have discovered that there is more to life than climbing
 Max factor 13 Sep 2010
In reply to chris wyatt:

i was wondering this. When does accumulated injuries & going backward through the grades = not fun any more?
 Fredt 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Max factor:
> (In reply to chris wyatt)
>
> i was wondering this. When does accumulated injuries & going backward through the grades = not fun any more?

Accumulated injuries & going backward through the grades does not equal not having fun any more.

Climbing is not about grades. You realise that when you get older, and it gets to be a lot more fun then.

davegs 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:
> When you get to a certain age,(e.g. 40 ) Do you ever think, "now is the time to hang up them boots?"

I only started this year and I'm 45, bugger, shall I just give up?
 dale1968 13 Sep 2010
In reply to chris wyatt: only just started Iam 43 so not giving up yet, and took my dad climbing for the first time he's 74 and wants to do more, and climbs better than some teenagers!
 JimR 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Nope..
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

I followed Binky (64) up a six pitch route in Switerland 10 days ago and was heard to mutter on the last tough pitch (for the 1st time ever) - "I'm getting too old for this game"!

Chris (60 in 11 days)

Mind you we did a 9 pitch one a couple of days later and that was BRILLIANT!
In reply to Max factor: I'm 62 and climbing the same standard that I did when I was 20. I just can't climb as many routes in a day as I did then and it hurts more afterwards but it's still fun.

Al
 Bulls Crack 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

My interest began do decline due to vaious facors - marriage problems, children etc and i got to a level where my confidence was falling rapidly which meant I wasn't enjoying itand i contemplated giving up..briefly. However, after focussing on a couple of modest objectives for sport and trad I quite suddenly got my mojo back and am enjoying it as much as ever it seems. it seems that the confidence threshold was the key form me plus, at the end of the day, it's what i do.
 Max factor 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Fredt:

I agree that climbing is not all about grades, but I would like to see a little progression and get some classics ticks before the regression starts!

As for injuries, being in pain after climbing or at work does make me question my motivation for continuing climbing, and I can't help but be worried that if this is me now -what am I storing up for later?
Still can't help myself though.

Tom Hutton 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: I started again at 48 after a 10 year lay off. Now 50 and still improving - albeit from a low base!

Am finding other stuff more painful such as MTBing and backpacking with a big pack where my knees are starting to give me grief.

Have found that I am a bit of chicken these days though so have to work very hard at keeping confidence levels up.
 nniff 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

I'm 48, and still climbing at least as well as when I was 20. However, I was heard to mutter that I was getting too old for it while struggling to do a stupid mantleshelf press on an indoor boulder problem. What I really meant was that I'm old enough to know better than to try stupid moves that are inherently resistant to the low cunning and deviousness that comes with age.
 nniff 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:
And, I recently tried deep water soloing for the first time. When some mug decided to drive his RIB into the cave directly underneath me, I did feel that perhaps I had made an error of judgement. Having subsequently taken a bigger plunge (not through his boat) than I would have done voluntarily, I felt that this whole new dimension to climbing was good thing and helps to keep it fresh.
 jshields 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Max factor:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
>
> I agree that climbing is not all about grades, but I would like to see a little progression and get some classics ticks before the regression starts!

> Thankfully there are classics at all grades. With good locations and good company the grade is irrelevant. Though sometimes your pride takes a bashing!

> As for injuries, being in pain after climbing or at work does make me question my motivation for continuing climbing, and I can't help but be worried that if this is me now -what am I storing up for later?
> Still can't help myself though.

I am resigned to falling to bits when I am older, very happy to live for now - after all you never know how long you have got! So enjoy it while you can.
Jon
 Mick Ward 13 Sep 2010
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Walnut)

> I felt that this whole new dimension to climbing was good thing and helps to keep it fresh.

You're absolutely right - keeping it fresh is the nub of it. I remember Andy Parkin telling me (and this must be 30 years ago!), "Eh, kid, the thing is to keep doing different stuff. That's what keeps it fresh."

Obviously Andy has kept on doing 'different stuff'...

Mick

Rog Wilko 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: Since climbing is undoubtedly the best fun you can have, why'd you want to choose to give up? Speaking as someone who's 65 goin' on 15, my enthusiasm is undiminished. Of course I can't do what I could even 3 years ago, but the awareness of a limited future can stimulate you to take any opportunity. I can't do strenuous routes to the same degree (I doubt I'll do Kipling Groove again), I can't do as many pitches in a day, I'm less keen to do big walk-ins (or, more to the point, walk-ups) and climbing consecutive days can be a bit of a struggle. But I can still manage the odd VS, mixed in with easier routes, and believe it or not pleasure is to be had doing V Diffs and Severes. There are plenty of those I missed on the way up, so can check them out on the way down.
Incidentally, while I don't regard myself as anything special, when I look at some of the youngsters at the crag SMOKING I think, smugly, you won't still be climbing at my age. To my shame, I've even had the thought out-loud once or twice, but I've bound myself to silence on that subject.
In reply to Rog Wilko: Just had a look at your profile. I love your statement "even the attainment of mediocrity would be a triumph" classic.

I was saving via ferrata for my dotage and found myself doing them last year. Take from that what you will.

Al
Wiley Coyote2 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:
I think it was George Melly who said losing his libido felt like being unchained from a mad man. I feel a bit the same about getting over the daft competitive pursuit of ever-harder grades. I find that now I'm pushing 60 I'm no longer climbing as hard but I'm actually enjoying it more than ever - the laughs, the scenery, the places and the people. But the rock is still at the heart of it. A couple of weeks ago I did one of the best pitches I've done in my life and really enjoyed and appreciated it, whereas a few years ago I might have dismissed it as "OK for HVS.
We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
 Simon4 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: When this question is asked, I usually mention the story about Golden Yardstick at Wildcat.

I was on an adjacent route when I saw an elderly, white-haired old lady on the 5a crux, complaining vigorously (but not in very ladylike language) about how her arthritis was preventing her from moving flexibly enough, especially how her arthritic fingers were making getting gear out tricky. Didn't seem to stop her going up it pretty gracefully though.

I subsequently caught up with her partner on a belay and tactfully remarked that it was unusual to see a lady of such apparently venerable years climbing. "She's 75" he responded.

I was impressed.
 phleppy 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: I cant imagine hanging my lovely shoes up at the age of 40 which is ten years away from me, that surely is too young.

Was at shephards crag the other week & there were these friendly older chaps climbing brilliantly, they looked as if they were really enjoying it.
Half the time people do get wrapped up with grades & pushing it, myself included but its all about the fun & amazing places we go to, that is something i shall never tire of!

Adam Lincoln 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Real climbers don't give up.
In reply to Simon4: I once ran into a couple of guys on the Cosmiques Arete who were in their mid seventies and I know a woman who is. I believe, a fair bit older than me, (I'm 62) who climbs F7's.

Al
 tlm 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

The people that I know who have stopped climbing have done so for a variety of reasons:

1. For those who were really heavily into grades in the first place, they've stopped improving.
  2. Taken up a new sport (some of those who stopped improving just moved their interest to a new sport where they COULD improve)
  3. New romantic relationship with someone who isn't into climbing
  4. Lost the relationship with their climbing partner
  5. Chronic injury

I've never noticed anyone give up climbing just because of their age.
 Howard J 13 Sep 2010
In reply to tlm: Well I'm 56 and I'm climbing as well as I did when I was 26 (which is to say, I'm still rubbish!). The point is, I still enjoy it as much as I ever did. For me, climbing's always been about the experience rather than the gymnastics, and you can enjoy that at any grade.
silo 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln: I suppose you think Pete livesey wasn't a real climber.
 muska25101847 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: only time to give it in when you cant do it any more or when the love has gone
 Rog Wilko 13 Sep 2010
In reply to tradlad: But when you've done one or two via ferrata, do you find yourself thinking "Can't wait to do another"? I did a few, but quickly tired of them. Rather do Bowfell Buttress again, any day.
 hilty 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Fredt: thats just a phrase to keep the punters happy
 chriszxr 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: I was at Rivlin at the start of this year i was at the top of blizzard ridge belaying my friend up as a head poped up and said "Not bad Youth e2 at 62"
Made me go back a week later and lead White Out as my first E2
Hope im that good at 62.
 Bob Bennett 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:
What is this thinking,and why? Just keep on doing it-still managing the odd 6B-70 next year and NO intention of giving up!
 Brass Nipples 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:
> When you get to a certain age,(e.g. 40 ) Do you ever think, "now is the time to hang up them boots?"

Why on earth would you want to stop climbing at 40? What possible reason? You'll probably find some of you best and most enjoyable climbing is during your 40,50,60,70, even 80s (didn't Ivan repeat his Bell Vue Bastion route (VS) on Tryan at the age of 78) ...

Quarryboy 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:
Steve McClure first 9a+ at 40 he still says despite he is way past his peak of fitness he is still getting better.

I mean I am only 15 and totally hooked. I cant see myself living to do anything but climbing in the foreseeable future.
 Ropeboy 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Don't know about giving up, but with 2 children (5yrs and 2yrs) finding the time to maintain a good/high standard has been hard and trying to stay motivated has been even harder.

Sometimes I do feel like giving up

J
 Gael Force 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Ropeboy: I have stopped for the moment because I am too busy with kids,although they are teenagers they seem to take up more of my time,or is it becuase I am less selfish now that I have stopped.However I did manage 30 years when I was in the grip of the obsession....
I like running more now and sailing .
I think also it was difficult to keep the large amounts of bottle necessary for hard winter routes,or was that linked to a slightly selfish disregard for my own safety ?
 gd303uk 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: NO,
I enjoy climbing now more than ever.
 David Hooper 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: Mountain biking is tending to take over climbing for me at the moment - could just be the novelty value - or thye fact that I can see a progression of skill and experience - whilst with climbing I have to train really hard to be mediocre.

Mind you - still looking foward to some good cragging and good long mountain routes in Sept and oct.
Lainybudden 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: heard of a guy not so long ago out on a climbing trip to 'celebrate his 80th birthday'

i wanna be like that in 60 years
 Ee 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: i didnt start till 44! is there any hope for me?!
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: I'm currently finding it a bit hard to motivate - the rush from relatively harder climbs doesn't seem quite enough to offset the stress required to achieve them. And I had a bit of a disappointment this summer on easier classics in N Wales.

On the other hand I am being curiously drawn to climbing more on plastic, for stress free exercise ... maybe I'm going senile.
 Mick Ward 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Ropeboy:
> (In reply to Walnut)

> Don't know about giving up, but with 2 children (5yrs and 2yrs) finding the time to maintain a good/high standard has been hard and trying to stay motivated has been even harder.

Don't give up. (If you do, you'll just come back, years later, weak as anything.) Keep going. Maybe drop your standard a little but you can still enjoy it - maybe even more. Climbing standard is far more affected by lifestyle than age. Someone in their thirties, with young kids and a demanding career is more disadvantaged than someone in their fifties or sixties, retired, with fewer demands on their time.

I've been where you are; I know what it's like. In only another 10 years, your kids will be pushing you to climb harder. "Come on dad! You can do it."

As Jim Jewell used to say to Paul Williams on wet days in Wales, "Keep the fire burning..."

Mick
 Rog Wilko 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Ropeboy: I did very little climbing when we had school age children. We didn't feel that pursuing a climbing agenda was good for the children, but we would be doing it for our own selfish reasons. Personally I'm not keen on seeing kids mooching around the bottom of crags while their parents climb. OK if the kids are participating. For many years we pursued orienteering, which is a very child-friendly activity.
The good news, though, is when your kids get to be more independent you can make a comeback. There's still a lot of potential climbing time to come. But if you want to make yourself the best climber you can be it's probably best to avoid having a family.
 SARS 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Well my Dad doesn't climb but he does do a lot of outdoor physical work - cutting firewood, building new extensions for his house etc. Age 70.

If he can do that at 70 - and still have handshake that can crush my hand - then I'm pretty sure I should be able to ponce on up a 7+ sport route in my 70s.

The key is to man up and not become a fat, blubbery desk jockey imho.
 Rog Wilko 14 Sep 2010
Daithi O Murchu 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Ropeboy:
> (In reply to Walnut)
>
> Don't know about giving up, but with 2 children (5yrs and 2yrs) finding the time to maintain a good/high standard has been hard and trying to stay motivated has been even harder.
>
> Sometimes I do feel like giving up
>
> J

oh im glad to see this post, im in the same boat and its depresing me

cheers

SARS 14 Sep 2010
In reply to SARS:

BTW, he had 4 children including me.

Children are not an excuse to become a wet lettuce...
Daithi O Murchu 14 Sep 2010
In reply to SARS:
> (In reply to SARS)
>
wet lettuce...

ouch that hurts , but tis true

tiem to turn myself into a savoy cabage at least then

Dave Garnett 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

We never gave up completely when ours were small but it did limit the choice of crags. In what seems like no time at all my 14-year old is now pushing me hard indoor bouldering, can probably follow just about anything I can lead and will very shortly be dragging me up things I that I can't!

Don't give up, roll with it.
 teflonpete 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

I started at 40. I know I'll never be any good, but it's fun.
 John_Hat 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

I'm 40 in 18 months and no chance whatsoever of giving up.

I'm still getting stronger, my technique is still getting better (albeit from a low base point!), and my grades are still increasing, and there's a whole world of rock out there unclimbed.

If I had a whinge, its that my life is never going to be long enough to climb all the routes I want to fit in...

RockSteady 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

My Dad climbed through his 20s, gave up in his 30s and 40s (to concentrate on a bunch of other hobbies) and took up climbing again when he was about 53.

At 58 he both sport and trad climbs harder than me at 28, with recent F7b and E3 ascents.

I'm banking on hitting my peak in my 40s! I think the perception of climbing as play is a good one, and as someone said above, you only get old when you stop playing...
Walnut 14 Sep 2010
In reply to muska25101847:
> (In reply to Walnut) only time to give it in when you cant do it any more or when the love has gone

Well maybe its time to stop. I ache more than I ever did and I certainly didnt enjoy seconding the E4 5c. ( the last climb I did) I was asking myself why the bloody hell am I doing this?
 Ropeboy 15 Sep 2010
In reply to:

Thanks guys, not planning on giving up just yet!

Just finding it hard to keep the motivation levels high. I still climb several times a week and try and mix it up to keep it interesting. Living on the south side of Sheffield the Works/Edge or the Peak is less than 10 mins away and alternate between Burb N and Stoney (Minus ten mostly)

Broken nights sleep followed by early starts, full days at work, putting the kids to bed and then driving out to the Peak as it's getting dark whilst everyone else has already had a full day and is heading for the pub so I can grind out my circuit gets a bit monotonous.

I had a great weekend, popped by the Stoney Reunion with the kids, rucksack in the boot. The missus picked up the kids and I managed to snag a quick route in the rain. Sunday saw more showery weather so being time poor I headed to Baslow and did half of the Highland circuit (in the new BMC Froggatt guide) at Baslow.

J
 BigHell 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Age "52" injuries are playing their part, both my climbing chums are getting fat as a result there will be very little seen here on UKC from the Big Hell experience. .......Having said this we are orf to Buttermere Oct 1st we will be camped behind the Fish !
 Dark Peak Paul 16 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Don't intend to hang up my boots while I can still walk to a crag. I've never climbed intensively so have never felt 'burnt out'. I also like a lot of variety both in terms of venue and partners and also instruct both indoors and out. In fact, at the tender age of 47, I'm probably enjoying climbing more than I ever have and would hope in 10 years time to be able to write exactly the same.
Removed User 16 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

Yes and no....

I'm 42 now, my interest in climbing has varied widely over the years, several factors being involved - like partners losing their enthusiasm, getting into different activities, where you live etc.

Interest is at a low now (been out on rock just 5 times this year), I put that down to shift work and having a second young daughter rather than to aging.....work and children must be the biggest reasons that most people's leisure pursuits are curtailed I reckon.

So if I can stay in decent shape then retirement should be the golden opportunity...?
 Peakpdr 16 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: Bye Bye
 hutster781 16 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: guess what?? 'THEY' say we're living longer, so now, life BEGINS at 50!
 Quarryboy 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut:

as Eric Cartman says "life goes by pretty fast if you don't stop once in a while and do whatever the hell you want all the time you could miss it"
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserWalnut)
>
> So if I can stay in decent shape then retirement should be the golden opportunity...?

I thought that but I am experiencing considerable difficulty finding people in a similar position, especially locally where I live in Cheltenham.

Al
 Mick Ward 18 Sep 2010
In reply to tradlad:

Al, I did suggest doing stuff around the Bristol area...

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward: You did, I had forgotten. Monday looks OK if you can make it. Is there anything you fancy? Perhaps a bit of Cheddar sport. There is an E1 and an E2 that I've not done at Wintours but that may be just a little too far for you for a day trip. Would you be up for a few days in North Wales again? I've got my mojo back so I'm no longer limited to pootling about on VS's. My plans to go to the Ariege or Val di Mello came to nothing so now I'm looking for a partner for Kalymnos in October if you were interested.

Al
 armus 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: Why give up?

Three older climbers.
They were known by these nicknames:-
First:- Ancient Sid, who was very old, just did v.diff at his age.
Second:- Old Sid, who seems to have been Sid Thompson. He could have been a pest contoller for Maryport council. Climbed VS +
Third:- Young Syd. This was & still is Syd Clark who has recently climbed Ama Dablam when aged 60+.
 pizza 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: i started climbing when i was 38 and i am climber better now thab i ever did i am now 51
 icnoble 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Walnut: I started trad climbing 6 years ago, I am now 55. I also do sport climbing when I am on holiday abroad. The problem my wife and I have we both work full time and only have one full day off a week. So climbing in the uk is limited to decent weather when we are both off work. Hopefully we will both be retired, or semi retired in a few years and hopefully we will be able to do a lot more climbing and become better at it. At the moment we are at Lake garda where there is lots of sports climbing within our capability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...