UKC

Re-proofing a tent groundsheet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Woodman 28 Sep 2010
My 20+ year old Phoenix 'Phreerunner' (remember them?) has started letting water seep up through the groundsheet during heavy rain. On close inspection, it seems the original waterproofing is beginning to de-laminate, otherwise the tent is in excellent condition.

I've seen various products on the market for re-proofing, question is, does anyone have experience of them, and if so, are they any good?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Woody
In reply to Woodman:

I'm also interested in doing the same for one of my tents. Most of the stuff i've seen is of the TX-direct variety which seems to be about replacing the water repellency of the fabric rather than actual replacing the waterproof layer.

The only stuff I've come across that looks like a real waterproof layer is this:
http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?type=Domestic_Solutions/VLP&... I'm not sure if it'd eat straight through a nylon groundsheet though!

Anyone come across anything else?
In reply to Different Steve:

OK, an update on that - just phoned Mr Plasti-dip and he recommended a spray can of plasti-dip (not VLP), although he couldn't 100% guarantee that it wouldn't screw up the groundsheet.

anyway, I've ordered a can and I'll see how it goes!
Woodman 29 Sep 2010

Thanks for that, though I suspect the 'plasti-dip' could be a bit harsh on what is a fairly light ground sheet, however, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Cheers, Woody
 nikinko 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Woodman:

hiya,

as per my message here which you replied to: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=424199&v=1#x6053675

When this started happening the first couple of times I did my groundsheet with Nikwax TX spray, and used a paint brush to ensure good coverage. It's now got beyond that so am looking to replace the groundsheet.

good luck with it.
In reply to nikinko:

It's dead, Dave...

Pretty hard to resurrect a failed PU coating.

One method I've seen used is to dilute silicone sealant (with white spirit), and paint on a thin coating. You'd need to get off all the loose PU first.

Plenty of users of this method on www.backpackinginglight.com MYOG forum. I'm sure Google will yield suitable hits.
 thin bob 06 Oct 2010
In reply to Woodman: bit of a faff, but maybe think of using a tyvek material footprint?
 gethin_allen 06 Oct 2010
In reply to Woodman:
I'm surprised nobody has suggested fabsil, they make a "gold" version that is supposed to be stronger/more resilient than the original stuff.
 Siward 07 Oct 2010
In reply to gethin_allen: I'd suggest replacement as a far better long term solution. There are people out there who would sew a new one in for you.

Alternatively, use a footprint?
 nikinko 07 Oct 2010
In reply to Siward:

trouble with using a footprint, is that I use mine for backpacking, and don't want the additional weight/bulk. also faff of getting it down and pitched on the footprint in bad weather.
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I'm surprised nobody has suggested fabsil,

Fabsil is still only a DWR, and will not restore the waterproofing (i.e. hydrostatic head).
 gethin_allen 07 Oct 2010
In reply to captain paranoia:
fabsil adds a Silicone based coating to the material treated so more than just a product that rejuvenates a DWR.
A good treatment on both sides to be thorough should do the trick.
neilnevill 08 Oct 2010
paint on watered down PVA adhesive? It definately won't damage anything and PVA is a pretty good waterproofer...I'm just wondering how durable it might be and if it could leave the fabric a bit stiff....probably not if well watered down though.

> fabsil adds a Silicone based coating to the material treated so more than just a product that rejuvenates a DWR.

But still only a silicone-based DWR.

It doesn't apply a continuous film layer that will resist a hydrostatic head, which is what you need to make a waterproof groundsheet.

http://www.grangers.co.uk/productview.cfm?id=23

<quote>
Fabsil Gold

* High strength
* Aerosol silicone proofer
* Effective on all fabrics

High strength silicone-based water repellent treatment for all kinds of tent, tarpaulin, canopies and awning fabrics.
</quote>

My emphasis on water-repellent.
In reply to Woodman:

Bullet bitten, and evil-smelling spray has been applied to my old Moss tent groundsheet (very light BTW). I tried it out on a small area and it seemed OK so I've gone for it!

No obvious ill-effects so far...
 nikinko 12 Oct 2010

Hope it works out. Can you let us know how the waterproofing did?

cheers

N
In reply to nikinko:

It seems to have worked well. A spray can of plasti-dip was enough for 1 and a half passes over my old Moss ground sheet (3 man) and it's put about a cling-film thick layer on I reckon. I've dropped water on it and it appears completely waterproof now.

It's bonded really well too - I wiped the groundsheet clean beforehand but there were some grubby patches which have taken the coating just as well as everywhere else.

Also no sign of damage or melting which is what I was really worried about

So the old war-horse is back in action and I've got no excuse to buy a shiny new toy - Damn!

They also sell a paint-on version (in fact i bought a can of it by mistake first) - it'd be messier I'm sure but i wonder if that might give a thicker coating.

Woodman 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Different Steve: Thanks for keeping us posted. There were some good ideas in other posts, though I like your idea of using 'plasti-dip' particularly as it sounds more robust. I'll get some of the smelly ordered right away!
In reply to Woodman:
So... did it work? or is yor groundsheet a melted mess?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...