UKC

Scarpa Freney - Any thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leo Woodfelder 29 Nov 2010
Just went to try on some boots for scottish winter climbing. Tried on some Nepal Extremes and alas my feet are too wide. (They are the shoes everyone had told me to get!)

Tried on some Scarpa Freneys after that which seemed to fit well.

I am just after any anecdotal advice. I have various reviews but never really trust reviews

Main thing I am worried about is warmth. Is it just a case of getting the right socks to go with them?

Cheers guys and girls

Leo
 Hoppo 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown:

I've got some and I love 'em. Fit my feet well, and keep them warm. I wear liner socks and a thick pair of wool socks and they remain snug all day.
In reply to leroybrown: Cheers I am pretty tempted to get them as I have found them at a decent price.
 Danzig 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown: Mine are the duratherm version and i pair them with the smartwool mountaineering thickness & 1000 miler liners and have always been toasty in them, even stood for hours at the belay. Not the stiffest of B3 boots-more a B2/3 imho. Great bit of kit tho.
 Geras 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown:

I have a pair, as for me too the fit of the nepals was just not right . I find them really comfortable and have no problem in the -20 C we found last year in Rjukan. Used liner and 1000 mile sock. Never found stiffness to be an issue.
Robin Ashcroft 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown:

Don't have Freneys, but love my Cerro Torres - now getting on a bit, but still performing superbly and wearing well/

I always go for Scarpa - they fit my wider foot much better than Sportiva. I'd love a pair of Nepal Tops, but I know from having had other Sportiva boots that they just don't work with my feet - and I'm told I've got typically wider British feet!
mrc1508 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown: another vote for freney's. i had problems with nepals and find freneys hold my foot much better. i liked the lightness of them too and it feels more preceise when placing your feet on smaller holds. cant fault them.
In reply to mrc1508: Cheers guys just the sort of info I was looking for!
In reply to leroybrown:

Have a Brand New Pair size 43 for sale if you want them. Never worn (not even inside). Replacement from Scarpa but I had already bought a pair.
 SAF 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown: got some second hand (maybe 6 years old) Freneys off ebay for £45 in mint condition...then spent £17 (eek!!)on a pair of extra thick merino wool socks...my feet are cold in a centrally heated house and i found this combination kept my feet toasty out on the mountains in wales last winter.
 fionn 29 Nov 2010
In reply to leroybrown: My brother is selling a pair for £150 (Size 8 / euro 42). Worn for only one Alpine ascent, so they're in great nick.
In reply to leroybrown: Thanks for all the advice on the shoes, I am going to go and buy them today.
 ERU 06 Dec 2010
In reply to leroybrown:
> (In reply to leroybrown) Thanks for all the advice on the shoes, I am going to go and buy them today.

Were from? Cost? I'm after a pair of size 6 but don't want the XT version as it doesn't seem as good.
Mither Tap 06 Dec 2010
In reply to leroybrown:

A minor thing worth mentioning - you'll almost certainly need some asymetric bars for your crampons to fit these boots.

They are cheap enough (the bars), but not every shop has them in stock.

Josh Maye 06 Dec 2010
In reply to leroybrown: Just a note, scarpa have replaced these boots with jorasses. Although freneys are still on the Market. If they go wrong you may not be able to replace them. I know in the alps ( not sure about over here) that if you require a resole on the freney then it's done with a jorasse sole. Not as stiff and becomes a smaller fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...