UKC

Trousers for Scottish Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juglan 18 Dec 2010
At a loss of what to use. Always used Buffalo Salopettes, very idiotic proof and I thin softshell does wor well on the lower half, even in Scotland, however I find them way too hot and I lose loads of water pointlessly.

What are the strategies everyone uses and what kit in particular?

Thanks
 terrarob 18 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Hiya, i use a pair of Haglofs Col pants, occasionally with long-jons if cold enough (Have used them like this down to -30*C in Norway and was warm enough!). I find them very warm, flexible, and incredible weather proof for a softshell pant!
 Dave Ferguson 18 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna:
Aldi "snowboard salopettes" - £18 and you can crampon through them to your hearts content - just replace them every year - beats overpriced rubbish
 FrankBooth 18 Dec 2010
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
same -the softshell ones they do are pretty good. also have a pair of Decathlon Quechua pants which are a little lighter. I tend to wear waterproofs over them for the climbing bit to be honest
In reply to FrankBooth: I use both Arcteryx gamma sk pants or M.E G2 pants
both softshell stretchy windstopper pants for most of my climbing,and if really cold ill use icebreaker leggins underneath
 Ron Walker 18 Dec 2010

A pair of Ron Hills with Helly Lifas!
To be honest they work just as well as my Paramo Salopettes or really expensive branded soft shells!
 wazzalad20 18 Dec 2010
In reply to Ron Walker: rab fusion pants are class if you try then you wont look back
 CarolineMc 18 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I just used some vouchers to get the Decathlon Quechua Bionnassay £40 soft shells, after various recommendations on here. Used them in scotland last week with and without a thin base layer underneath and they were ace. Good vents in the side for warmer times too. Definitely a good purchase!

Prior to that, and still for colder days, I've got Paramo Aspira trousers which are great for walking, but less movement for climbing. They're still brilliant and I also use them for boarding, but I think from what you've said they'd be too warm for you.

I'd love to justify a nice expensive pair of mountaineering pants but to be honest, with these two pairs on the go, I can't!

C-:
 melville18 18 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: for scotland in winter? brown ones best
 Neil Anderson 19 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: does anyone still make winter climbing salopettes aka the North Face range of a few yrs ago ?
In reply to Ron Walker: Plus they look cool.
waj 19 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Levis are good if the weather's dry, otherwise use a decent pair of waterproof pants.
 Siward 19 Dec 2010
I use Paramo Aspira trousers which I find ideal. If you are used to full weight buffalo then they will feel cooler but are still warm enough to be used as a stand alone trouser in most conditions.
 Nigel Thomson 19 Dec 2010
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Just tried the Decathlon soft shell yesterday and for 40 bangers ye cannae beat them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...