UKC

Logbook suggestion - average leading grade per year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 staceyjg 28 Mar 2011
I know there is periodically a post with new suggestions for logbooks or general website changes, however, I am not sure whether this has been suggested so far.

I log all of my climbs, and I think it's great that I get a graph which shows my average grade and maximum grade per year, however, although that doesn't appear to be changing, I know that my leading grade should have improved, however I dont get the option to view my average and max leading grade per year. I know a way to do this using what is currently provided is to only log lead climbs, but I don't just want to do that.

Is this potentially something easy for UKC website to do, or does someone have any easy suggestions on how I can work this out using the information from my logbook?

My friend has sent me an excel sheet with pivot tables in and all sorts, but I'm still struggling as I'm not that familiar with formulas in excel.
 Puppythedog 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg: I second this one, I've been toying with the idea of not logging my recent top roped climbs on CLeeve Hill becuase it would scew the graphs function and I use it fairly often.
 Chris Sansum 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

It would also be good to see non-grades like MVS and HVD removed from the averaging calculation.
 Chris Sansum 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

The facility to remove solos from the calculation would be good too.
 Hat Dude 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

Mean, Median or Mode?

Seriously though, can't see the point; what happens if for example, you're a solid E1- E2 leader & you happen to visit an area with a stack of classic VS routes; do you not do them cos it'll screw up your average?
 RockSteady 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

Also the calculation would have to just include 'successful' leads - i.e. clean onsight, flash, repeat or redpoint ascent.

As at the moment I think the graphs include unsuccessful attempts.
 Bulls Crack 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to staceyjg)
>
> Mean, Median or Mode?
>
> Seriously though, can't see the point; what happens if for example, you're a solid E1- E2 leader & you happen to visit an area with a stack of classic VS routes; do you not do them cos it'll screw up your average?

I suspect that is exactly what the non-problem is

Bit sad isn't it?
 Chris Sansum 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Not really, the stats page is quite interesting if you're logging lots of climbs and are curious to see whether you are improving in any way (although the information would be of less enjoyable to look at if you're not improving!).

You're not going to avoid doing an interesting but lower grade route because it is going to lower your stats - the whole point of the graphs is that you can see a large amount of information about the climbs you've done over a year summarised at a glance rather than trawling through your logbook. It is satisfying if you've put a lot of work in and can see an improvement in some area, eg number of climbs/top grade/average grade/climbing style etc.

Not for everyone, but I find it useful to have a quick way of seeing how I'm progressing.
OP staceyjg 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

Maybe some sort of drop down menu so that you can select what you would like to see in your graph (trad, sport, year, onsite, dnf etc), I imagine that once you have the correct varibles in place, with the given information, this shouldnt be too hard to do, but after previously doing programming at uni, I do know for a fact, that I don't have the correct kind of mind to do this sort of thing.... (I tried last night with excel, it just got me shouting at the screen)
OP staceyjg 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Chris Sansum:

The problem is, that I know my leading grade is progressing, however, my technical grade has not really changed that much, so I am interested to know what my average leading grade is from when I started logging climbs in 2007.
Boar of Badenoch 29 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

There is no reason why you can't download the spreadsheet of your logbook and write a macro on excel to do any calculation you want. Tell you what though, UKC should really have a "moving together" option...
OP staceyjg 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Boar of Badenoch:
> (In reply to staceyjg)
>
> There is no reason why you can't download the spreadsheet of your logbook and write a macro on excel to do any calculation you want. Tell you what though, UKC should really have a "moving together" option...

See OP or couldnt you be bothered to read it properly, I have tried that and I'm not an excel expert and I am struggling.... as already stated, but thanks for your opinion!

James Moyle 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Hat Dude)
> [...]
>
> I suspect that is exactly what the non-problem is
>
> Bit sad isn't it?

I see what your saying but for max grade, it is the opposite i.e. your lead grade has been gradually improving over the years from HS to El, but each year you top rope an E2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...