UKC

Doubled half rope moving together in alps - success?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 11 May 2011
Has anybody had success moving together over low-angled rocky terrain with double ropes?

In general, a single half rope is great for low grade Alps routes. Use it single when on the glacier, and when you get to any rocky pitchy bits you just double it up and go with the 25-30m length.

In theory you also double it up for rocky ridge traverses if you need to move together.

But I’ve tried this several times while moving together on low angled stuff, and have always ended up with the ropes twisting together and snagging on every rock spike along the way.

Has anybody got any tips on doing this successfully without all the snagging dramas? It might save me having to buy a new lightweight single just for one trip.
 MG 11 May 2011
In reply to BruceM: Using a single strand is the norm
 Petarghh 11 May 2011
In reply to BruceM: if its easy and a fall is not expected then dont double it, if the very worst happens and you fall it will hold fine, just less durable over sharp edges than a full weight rope,

Using 1x1/2 rope is my personal norm for routes to AD where long abseils are not needed.
 vincentvega 11 May 2011
In reply to BruceM:

A single rope can be used in lots of circumstances, even when pitching if you extend certain runners correctly. Double ropes are often over used.

Wouldnt even bother moving together with double ropes, reciepe for disaster.

As you say, get a lightweight single, unless your planning on routes which require multiple abseil descents or hard alpine routes. You can always carry pull cord.

Allan
OP BruceM 12 May 2011
In reply to BruceM:
Thanks. Yes, it seems we all agree that you can't move together easily with doubles.
 Ben Briggs 12 May 2011
In reply to BruceM: Just use one and keep the other one in your bag for when you reach more technical ground. If you dont need to rappel for the decent just use a single.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...