UKC

Ambleside gastro pub recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon59 18 May 2011
Im in Ambleside for a week and would be grateful for any recommendations for a pub that sells good food within the local area.
 andy 18 May 2011
In reply to jon59: Drunken Duck at Outgate. Very gastro-ey, very nice. Queens at Troutbeck - less Gastro-ey, also very nice. Brown Horse at Winster - also very nice.
 Harry Ellis 18 May 2011
In reply to jon59: Drunken Duck at Barngates nr Hawkshead is very good (but neither cheap or generous with portions).
Queens Head Troutbeck is better for a bit less money and very nice food.
 gcandlin 18 May 2011
In reply to jon59: Get yourself down the Golden Rule and get a scotch egg!
 BelleVedere 18 May 2011
In reply to jon59:

I've always found the portions at the drunken duck OK. It's my fave place to treat myself to coffe or lunch at the end of a bike ride*

*yes that's extravagant - but if you don't look after yourself who will
 Chris the Tall 18 May 2011
In reply to es:
Food at the Drunken Duck is excellant, but I'll second those who say the portions are a little on the small side - particularly if you're a veggie.

I complained about the portion size last time I was there and they admitted that they assume veggies are women who want smaller portions ! But they did apologise and do me a second larger portion free of charge. I still had room for a pudding, but then I had been out cycling all day.

Nice place to stay as well.

To the OP: In Ambleside itself several of the pubs do hearty pub grub - my favourite has always been the Unicorn - but nothing gastro. I would however highly recommend Lucy 4 or Zefferellis if you want something a little more upmarket.
 andy 18 May 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Has Lucy4 changed since they went bust?
 Chris the Tall 18 May 2011
In reply to andy:
Didn't know they'd gone bust - but then again not been there since last July. And I do remember my wife reckoned it wasn't quite as good as previous visits
 andy 18 May 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: The Lucy's "empire" went tits up earlier this year. Think the grocers closed and someone else took over the cafe/restaurants.
 graeme jackson 18 May 2011
In reply to jon59: Does it have to be a pub? the Thai/asian on the high street is excellent but you have to book as it's very popular.
J1234 18 May 2011
In reply to jon59:
Whats that Log cabin place like, been passing it for years but never tried it.
Zeffs is good, and the Unicorn is OK but generally I find Ambleside dissapointing for food and rarely eat there.
How about this,spend abot £4 on some wine glasses and plates in a charity shop unless you have a picnic set and spend £30 in Booths on a Gourmet picnic with Fine Beer or Wine, Some good bread, a Roast Chicken, salad, crisps and Brie de Meaux or whatever you fancy and eat it on top of Wansfell watching the sun go down, it`s only a short stiff walk to the top, then back down to finish off in the Golden Rule
 stonemaster 18 May 2011
In reply to sjc: You bar-steward.... Never thought of that! Sounds so darn good I have to do it now.
OP jon59 19 May 2011
In reply to jon59: thanks for all the replies Ithink I might dable on the suggestions thanks
softlad 19 May 2011
In reply to andy: not too sure about that: from what I know (from Lucy herself), she wound down the grocer's, gave up the lease on that, but still has Lucy's on a Plate, Lucy4s and LucyCooks (in Staveley), which are all still operating.

We had a meal at Lucy's on a Plate a couple of weeks ago (and the food, service and ambience were all very good). Lucy was still very much on the scene, running the place. I guess it could be that she's sought some outside finance / backers, who've kept her in there in a management capacity. That's not how she tells it though.

It's still my top pick for food in Ambleside
 andy 19 May 2011
In reply to softlad: http://tinyur...

Well it was either an imposter, or she's a big fat fibber (and her creditors might have something to say about it too, specially as it coild include the local milkman/butcher etc).
softlad 19 May 2011
In reply to andy: fair enough - Lucy (and it was definitely her!) was obviously spinning it for all it's worth, perhaps to save face.
 andy 19 May 2011
In reply to softlad: There's a forum for Ambleside and it suggests on there she's basically walked away from a lot of debts and also that she still has some involvement - which is a shame for those that were owed money, although it looks like not many jobs have been lost.

I'm glad it's still there whoever runs it - always been good when we've been.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...