UKC

Clarion call cornice warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tebs 25 May 2011
Now missing the 2nd bolt as the hanger unscrewed yesterday evening. Dangerous runout between bolt 1 and 3 as a consequence...
 mark20 25 May 2011
In reply to Bart Shaw: It was rotating last weekend but I didn't have a nut key to tighten it up so only did it by hand. Great route though
 RupertD 25 May 2011
In reply to Bart Shaw:

Could you not have screwed it up rather than taking it off?
OP tebs 25 May 2011
In reply to RupertD: It fell off I'm afraid, hanger fell down the rope to the 1st quickdraw. Only found the nut on the ground once we'd stripped the route. Going on instinct, I'd be wary of screwing it up by hand, but I've done very little sport climbing and would appreciate a steer from those who know their stuff. I certainly wouldn't want to leave a potentially unsafe bolt in the route. Definately glad it didn't happen falling onto that bolt.

What should we have done? Asked climbers on a neighbouring route to swing over and replace it? I guess we should have checked each bolt when we first started to work the route... Using a nutkey as Mark says seems like a good improvisation, but how are hangers screwed on standardly?

In reply to Bart Shaw:

If you're going to be sport climbing regularly, it's worth leaving a spanner in the top pocket of your rucksack. Bolt hangers often work a little loose...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...