UKC

crags in the north west by public transport?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OliBangbala 31 May 2011
Hello,

I live in Manchester and do not have a car, i was wondering if anyone knows of any north west crags that are fairly easy to come by via public transport? (ive heard possibly stanage?)

I haven't started leading trad yet so sport and bouldering are the flavour of the day

thanks

Oli
 two06 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: You could get to Bangor by train, then bus to Llanberis etc. May be a bit further than you were thinking but defo doable.
 stewart murray 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: You can get to Stanage by rail - get train to Hathersage and it's about a 30 minute walk from there. Possibly also the Roaches - public transport to Leek.
 goldmember 31 May 2011
In reply to jdawg_85: or too holyhead
 sutty 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/#main

Put location in there and distance you want to travel and it will show you places to go.
I put 10 miles and Manchester and found several urban bouldering places, and then at 20 miles you have hundreds of crags to go at, many on bus or train routes.
 EeeByGum 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: Blimey - no idea why people are suggesting North Wales. It is probably just as quick to get to Chamonix by that measure!

You can get the bus from town out to the Chew Valley which gives you access to Dovestones, Wimberry, Standing Stones, Robs Rocks and much more.

The Eastern Edges are very easy with a train trip to Hathersage or Grindleford which gives you Stanage, Froggatt, Burbage and Millstone Edge to name but a few.

If the train to Hathersage is a bit dear, you can cut your losses and get off at Edale which gives you access to the Kinder plateau and if Edale is too dear, you can get off at New Mills and head to the Tor there.

You can also get the train to Walley Bridge and cycle / long walk up to Windgather or to Dove Holes for Castle Naze. The train to Buxton also gives you Harpur Hill.

Failing all that, once you get out into the sticks it generally isn't to hard to cadge a lift as long as you aren't covered in mud or soaked to the bone.

In other words - save your pennies before you start heading to Wales or the Lakes.
Wonko The Sane 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: I'm surprised no one has mentioned New Mills
 Eagle River 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala:

You can get to the Wilton Quarries easily by bus. The 535 runs from Bolton town centre up Belmont Road, you get off by the Wilton Arms and the quarries are right next to the road.
 Eagle River 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala:

Sorry, just re-read your original post asking for sport or bouldering, Wiltons are trad although I understand there is some bouldering in Wilton 1?

James Oswald 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala
Stanage - Hathersage
Burbage, Millstone Lawrencefield - bus to Sheffield - 272 to Foxhouse
Froggatt, Curbar - Grindleford

These may help too.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=450519
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=0&na...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=449181&v=1#x6290600

James Oswald 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala:
Just so you know - Windgather is near Whaleybridge not Walley bridge.
 andy 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: Trowbarrow/Woodwell - train to Lancaster then another to Silverdale.
 Al Evans 31 May 2011
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to OliBangbala) Trowbarrow/Woodwell - train to Lancaster then another to Silverdale.

Wow thats brilliant, does the Silverdale station still operate?
J1234 31 May 2011
In reply to andy:
I think the Manchester Airport to Barrow train maybe a better option, could be wrong though.
 jadias 31 May 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> Wow thats brilliant, does the Silverdale station still operate?

It was running a couple of months ago, but I was told that was only due to engineering works and it would shortly be closed again.

I'm in the same position, trying to find trad (or, at a push, bouldering) within easy public transport reach of Lancaster...
 andy 31 May 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> Wow thats brilliant, does the Silverdale station still operate?

As far as I know - I've not heard it's closing.
 andy 31 May 2011
In reply to andy: A cursory Google produces nothing about Silverdale station closing so I assume it's still going strong - it was always unmanned anyway, so can't see why they'd close it.

And indeed there are direct Airport trains to Barrow (which may or may not stop at Silverdale) - I'm just used to changing at Lancaster or Carnforth.
 Enty 31 May 2011
In reply to andy:

We used to go to Trowbarrow on the train.

E
 Alan Weir 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: There is some Bouldering on the Cow and Calf on ilkley Moor. You can get the train from Manchester, via Leeds.

Caley cragg has a lot of bouldering at various levels, and is on the X84 bus route from Leeds to Otley.

Both places also have some good easy trad climbing.
 Leo Woodfelder 31 May 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: http://mumc.me.uk/members-info/local-crags/ Check this list out! I have found it really useful. If you are ever looking for a partner I am in the same boat and get out plenty! Would be happy to take you out on the trad as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...