UKC

Rockfax North Wales Climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
petejh 07 Jun 2011

http://blog.rockfax.com/news/2011/06/

Looking forward to another top-quality production from rockfax, to a much-neglected area, but I can't believe their missing out Clwyd Limestone from the coverage - come on chaps please include coverage of Clwyd in North Wales Rock - it's great climbing and it's in North Wales! Why is it always neglected?
In reply to petejh:

No Clwyd at the moment sue to space but we might review that as we get near publication.

Don't understand your neglected point Pete - http://www.rockfax.com/publications/books/item.php?id=101

A good book which has sold well and been well received. Next edition is on the way in a couple of years.

Alan
 snoop6060 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:

This gonna be pretty much the same coverage as the Ground up one then?

Also, what happended to the new north wales limestone guide?

North wales must have more guidebooks than any other area its size!
 Bulls Crack 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:
>
> http://blog.rockfax.com/news/2011/06/
>
> Looking forward to another top-quality production from rockfax, to a much-neglected area,

LOL as they say
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060:
>
> North wales must have more guidebooks than any other area its size!

... other than the Peak District of course.

Chris
 davegs 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:

Hope the route descriptions are better than the North Wales Classics guide.
petejh 07 Jun 2011
In reply to davegs:
Hope the route descriptions are better than the North Wales Classics guide.

I'm sure they will be, Jack's known for his attention to detai.
 Adam1973 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Whilst I’m sure that you’ll produce a good looking guide, is there any actual customer requirement for another selective guide to this area? There is already a very good modern guide by Ground Up, and as a wild guess I’d guess that a minimum of 95% of your guide will be a direct copy of the same crags & routes.

Obviously Rockfax’s decision is a commercial one in which you feel there’ll be a worthwhile profit, but surely all you’re going to do is bully in to Grounds Ups current share of the market. There’s also a good selective guide to the Lake district, but it’s now looking slightly dated with its use of crag diagrams as opposed to photos. Wouldn’t this be a better target, or will this be the next announcement?

Adam
 Mike Goldthorp 07 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to petejh)
>
> This gonna be pretty much the same coverage as the Ground up one then?

Yeah sounds like it, sounds pretty redundant to me.

> Also, what happended to the new north wales limestone guide?

Rockfax have stepped aside to allow the independent one to be made by North Wales Bolt (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=433625) fund by local activists which are much more in the know about the area, looks like its going to be a great guide http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=433625

Wonder when it will be on the shelves...

Two posts removed.

Please be careful about the language you use to describe landowners who we need to negotiate with to secure access to crags. They read this stuff and abusing them on public forums isn't going to help.

Alan
 Simmy 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:

Thread Hijack where you guys updating the Costa Blanca guide or am I dreaming this?
petejh 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Goldthorp:
Wonder when it will be on the shelves...

As do I Mr Goldthorp. It's looking really good and about 60% complete now -that's fully definitive coverage from the Anglesy sport crags in the East to Dyserth in the West. It's basically me entering all the info, making the topos and doing the design and layout for nothing in my spare time so it will take it's course, but I'm lucky to have the support of a lot of very knowledgeable and psyched limestone locals. I think it'll be a pretty special guide once complete.
Tom - I intend including a selected Craig y Forwyn (the unbanned bit and a brief overview of the best banned routes) - the definitive guide for this cliff is available as a free download from the climbers club website and, seeing as nothing's changed at Craig y Forwen since the descriptions were written in the 80's, it's bang up to date!

I'm always in need of more photos of NW Limestone to choose from so if anybody's got decent action shots then please send them to me.
 Jack Geldard 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:

> It's looking really good and about 60% complete now

Sounds good Pete, looking forward to seeing it - we may even end up publishing about the same time - but I suspect you'll have yours out first.

If we do publish the same time-ish - maybe we could do a joint book signing evening! Ooh us literary types eh.

Pie and peas?

Jack

petejh 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

At the Fat Cat?
 goldmember 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh: Will it cover, newer slate stuff?
petejh 07 Jun 2011
In reply to goldmember: No - that's Si's area, should be out very soon. Unless some new coastal slate routes crop up between now and then.
In reply to petejh:
> (In reply to goldmember) Unless some new coastal slate routes crop up between now and then.

They'd better not! I've been waiting for that guide for years...

goldmember 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:
> (In reply to goldmember) No - that's Si's area.

Whos that? Ground up do a good slate section on slate, but now of the new stuff
 Jack Geldard 07 Jun 2011
In reply to goldmember: The forthcoming Rockfax will cover:

Areas Included - Llandudno Ormes, A55 Crags, Ogwen (Idwal, Tryfan), Carneddau, Llanberis Pass, Snowdon (Cloggy), Llanberis Slate Quarries, Anglesey (Gogarth), Betws-y-Coed, Gwynant Valley, Moelwyns, Cwm Silyn, Tremadog, Lleyn Penninsula, Mid-wales (Cader Idris)

Which will definitely include classic and good new slate routes. Not comprehensive, but a good deep selection, including much of the new stuff.

Ground Up are publishing a slate guide book that will give definitive coverage to the quarries.

Cheers,

Jack
 ksjs 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Guess you realise Pete wasn't being entirely serious. Have to agree with him, just what is the point of this new publication?
 davegs 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:
> (In reply to davegs)
> Hope the route descriptions are better than the North Wales Classics guide.
>
> I'm sure they will be, Jack's known for his attention to detai.

It's his name on the front cover http://bit.ly/bw7HPa

goldmember 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: sounds great mate, hope you have a good time 'researching' for the guide.

Between yourselves, ground up and the climbing club, north wales is pretty well covered!
 Coel Hellier 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

I'm sure this guide will be excellent, as all Rockfax guides are. However, a West Country Climbs format, while great for slate, Tremadog, A55 sport, etc, is not what you want for abbing into Gogarth or the Lleyn or lugging up to Cloggy. How about a bundle of Pokketz-format guides for such venues with a large-format guide for everything else? (Though I don't claim to know about the economics of multiple bindings.)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Simmy:
>
>
> Thread Hijack where you guys updating the Costa Blanca guide or am I dreaming this?

I photographed most of it earlier this year. We hope to publish sometime in 2012

Chris
 The Ivanator 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Coel Hellier: Very True. Was using the West Country guide last week in Cornwall, on the multi pitch routes at Bosi and Chair Ladder it was like a block of lead attached to my harness. It is my favourite guide for home browsing though!
cogoen 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:
Eh?? 'from the Anglesy sport crags in the East to Dyserth in the West.' I'm getting worried about this production now! Seems to be same attention to detail as North Wales Classics.

andyathome 07 Jun 2011
In reply to petejh:
The basic question. Is there actually a need for this guide. Selected routes in North Wales? 'A much neglected area'. C'mon!
 Bulls Crack 08 Jun 2011
In reply to andyathome:
> (In reply to petejh)
> The basic question. Is there actually a need for this guide. Selected routes in North Wales? 'A much neglected area'. C'mon!

I think there must be judging by the amount of requests on here - despite the vast literature both hardcopy and online - for best ofs, top tens etc etc!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...