UKC

OI NEWS: RECALL for Replacement: Petzl GriGri 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 20 Jun 2011
The new Petzl Grigri 2, for use with 8.9mm to 11mm ropes, progressive descent control, 20% lighter, 25% smaller., 3 kbPetzl has discovered that exerting excessive force on the fully extended handle of the GriGri 2 can cause internal damage, such that the handle may become stuck in the open position.

If you are in the UK or Ireland you are asked to stop using the GriGri 2 and to send it, for replacement to Lyon Equipment Ltd...

Full details at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3831
 Jonathan T 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: That's a surprising defect for such a new product.
 Maken 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: other than hearing about this, i had been totally over the moon about this new grigri
 neilfish 20 Jun 2011

to clarify, from the petzl website, it affects GriGri 2s with the first five digits of the serial number between 10326 and 11136.

Mine is, unfortunately, one of the affected
 Maken 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: me to
 TobyA 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Jack/Mick etc. Deleting the original thread is a shame because the link to the Spanish site that seemed to have found a different problem of the rope getting trapped also seems rather important.

Can anyone re-find that link?
 jon 20 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Interestingly Toby, when lowering Enty a few weeks back with his GG2, I noticed that when I pulled the lever right back, the pull required reduced dramatically at a certain point. Then the lever went a fraction further back, the and the normal lowering 'feel' resumed. I can't explain it any better than that I'm afraid. I mentioned it to Enty and he said "Yes, it does a little something, doesn't it.' It'd be interesting to know if his is one of the batch...
 jaxxman 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

I've had the GriGri 2 since it was launched, though i only started using it this weekend sport climbing in Portland.. Mine is unfortunately an early batch (serial No. 11021), hence it has to be replaced (just my bloody luck).

Hopefully a replacement will arrive very quickly.
 Scarab 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Argh, shouldve stuck to my own mantra to never buy the first version of anything, there is always kinks to be discovered only after mass usage, whether its gadget or a bit of climbing gear.

First the nomics then this
 jack1996 20 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: read this then got mine packaged and down to the post office with in half an hour of reading this! hopefully a quick return will be my luck! thanks for the post ukc!
 Michael Ryan 20 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Here Toby

Unblocking a rope that is jammed behind the cam

In certain specific cases (for example, assisting the climber in regaining a high point after a fall, GRIGRI fixed on a carabiner attached to two points, rope climbing, etc.), the rope can become jammed behind the cam.

Don’t worry: this jamming does not damage the rope. Our internal testing shows that even with the smallest diameters, the rope remains intact, even if the climber falls. Note also that even with the rope in this position, the cam functions normally and the climber’s fall will be arrested.

Unjamming the rope is simple. Always hold the braking side of the rope when performing this action. If the rope is not under tension, push on the side of the device to reposition the climber side of the rope in the cam groove. If the rope is already under tension, simply pull on the braking side of the rope.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/grigri-experience#GE-coincement
 Tris.w 20 Jun 2011

Recall for replacement: GRIGRI 2 | Petzl
petzl.com
Concerns all GRIGRI 2’s (D14 2O, D14 2G, D14 2B ) with the first five digits of the serial number between

10326 and 11136!!!! not 11137. mine is below 1137 but higher than 10326 so im sending it back.
 TobyA 21 Jun 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Interesting. The translation of the original Spanish article is here: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.campobase.es%2Fn...
 alan1234 21 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

If Petzl has already corrected the fault with later models, does this mean they have known about it for a while and if so why only recall now?

Seems a lot of companies like to wait until a reasonable number of people find out about the faults, which is probably why things like the Petzl Elios and Wild Country Syncro haven't been recalled despite the manufactures admitting to me they have a batch of faulty ones.
 TobyA 21 Jun 2011
In reply to alan1234:
> which is probably why things like the Petzl Elios and Wild Country Syncro haven't been recalled despite the manufactures admitting to me they have a batch of faulty ones.

What happened with those products?
 alan1234 21 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Gear loops fall off the Syncro thanks to bad stitching (WC said it was just a few but I've spoken to quite a few who have heard of it), and the swivel adjuster was weakly attached to the helmet and can just fall off.

Oh, and I forgot the WC alpine shield, which has been crumbling away in the shops before it even gets to the customers.

Theres also the Black Diamond pick issue where they have a tendency to snap because they have used a bad alloy for the task.

Worrying isn't it!
 alan1234 21 Jun 2011
In reply to alan1234:

Does anyone else know of other products that are faulty but haven't been recalled?
 TobyA 21 Jun 2011
In reply to alan1234:

> Gear loops fall off the Syncro thanks to bad stitching (WC said it was just a few but I've spoken to quite a few who have heard of it),

Perhaps they only recall "safety critical" issues? There was similar silly 'fault' on another WC harness I bought: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1538

Chi Cheng 21 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Grigri 2 sent back this morning.

Hope I get my replacement soon.
 alan1234 22 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

I'd argue the alpine shield definately issue is, although I haven't experienced it personally. Also gear loops failing half way up a big climb is certainly serious (one of mine fell off just while walking between climbs with just a rack of wires weighing it down)!

Another issue I've had is the WC syncro I had before that one, is after only an afternoons climbing at Harrisons the thing started falling apart.
 stevebarratt 22 Jun 2011
In reply to alan1234:

The bd pick issue isn't quite as simple as you make out. The alloy chosen is no error or mistake, unless you're referring to a specific batch failure that i'm unaware of. There's plenty about this elsewhere on the net but generally bd pick alloy is good for UK climbers' uses.
 Chi Cheng 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Chi Cheng:

Update: got my replacement grigri2 today with my re-embersment for p+p.
 Charlie_Zero 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Chi Cheng:

Lucky you! I'm still awaiting the prepaid return envelope I requested on Tuesday morning!
 Charlie_Zero 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero:

Mine has gone to the distributor for replacement. Have any UKC users got the new ones back yet? How long did it take? Do the new handles look or feel any different?
 starbug 29 Jun 2011

Got both mine replaced quickly.
Requested envelope for return and received it the next day with enough P&P on it to send the Gri Gri back recorded delivery.
Sent the Gri Gri back and got a new one within 4 days. Lyon were very helpful and efficient in my case.
Recalls are always difficult but the way they are handling it makes a big difference.
 Scarab 01 Jul 2011
Thumbs up for Lyon!

Prestamped enveloped arrived at work, sent it off and got a new one right away!!
felixyoung 01 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: A jiffy bag inside another jiffy bag, i initialy thought it was some kind of magic trick.
 Enty 11 Jul 2011
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Interestingly Toby, when lowering Enty a few weeks back with his GG2, I noticed that when I pulled the lever right back, the pull required reduced dramatically at a certain point. Then the lever went a fraction further back, the and the normal lowering 'feel' resumed. I can't explain it any better than that I'm afraid. I mentioned it to Enty and he said "Yes, it does a little something, doesn't it.' It'd be interesting to know if his is one of the batch...

Bought an old Grigri from the classifieds and started using it again after 6 months using the new one - it's a revelation.

E

Enty 11 Jul 2011
In reply to jon:

And mine is one of the dodgy ones.

E
 TobyA 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

> Bought an old Grigri from the classifieds and started using it again after 6 months using the new one - it's a revelation.

In a good or bad way?

Chi Cheng 16 Jul 2011

Yes lowering feels different.

You pull the leaver back and it stops and then a tiny bit more pressure it unlocks the rope to a nice lowering speed and the leaver lock again.

A little more pressure on the leaver will unlock the rope an lower a climber a lot faster.

But the mid stopping point is a nice addition that was not on my original grigri2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...