UKC

Good songs for climbing film soundtracks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PebblePusher 28 Jun 2011
Hello all,

I have been playing around with some video recently of me and my mates climbing in and around the peak. I have just started editing the clips into a few short films (using iMovie because I'm too cheap to buy a proper piece of software!) and was wondering... What do people think makes a good climbing film song and does anyone have any suggestions?

I find that the right Hip Hop tunes work really well because of the 'bounce' in the music and, on the same basis, some breakbeat type dance music can work. I have played around with a few tunes from The Roots and my favourite so far (one that will make the cut) is "Elevation" from Zion 1.

Unfortunately we haven't tackled any mountains yet, this is all either grit crag climbing or Matlock based sport climbing so the really dramatic & atmospheric tunes a la "Welcome Home" by Radical Face probably wouldn't work.

I must point out this is not Hard Grit, the films are of trad up to HVS and sport up to 6c (hopefully have a 7a to add to it soon but not exactly holding my breath!!)

Thanks in advance for any & all replies!

Chris

The Pylon King 28 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher:

Just be sparing with it and only put it on sections that really need it. People just seem to just plaster their videos with beats and actually having
some of the original soundtrack (off of the camera) is really important. Remember - its not a music video!
OP PebblePusher 28 Jun 2011
In reply to Pylon King:

Good advice, I hadn't thought about that properly really. Have had a play with lowering the volume on the music to hear grunts and groans and then having it drop back in once the climber has got past that particular crux. It's a cool effect but is hard to make it seem smoothe and not like someone just turned the track off!

Will have a more extensive practice of this technique I think.

Chris
 Kelcat 28 Jun 2011
Classic - I Wanna go Higher by the Stereo MC's
In reply to Kelcat:

Nice! That's going on the list!
 Jerry67 28 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Tom Petty "Freefalling".
In reply to Jerry67:

Nice thought but would need to man up and take some actual falls to use that tune to it's full potential I think! Another to keep in mind tho.
 Jackwd 28 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Anything by Pretty Lights, Squarepusher, Animal Collective or Bonobo...
In reply to Jackwd:

Will have a look through their stuff, any songs in particular?

Cheers
 Jon Stewart 28 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: I think the Defunkles tune in Set in Stone works really well. But maybe that's cause it's the only climbing film I like.

Any kind of aggressive metal or hectic 140bpm techno as an accompaniment to climbing (especially bouldering) makes me want to kick the TV in. Lame trip-hop is pretty bad too. I guess instrumental electronic music probably works best - I guess the stuff in Hard Grit was cutting edge at the time. I guess the equivalent now is stuff like Mount Kimbie, Flying Lotus?

Would this work?

youtube.com/watch?v=o4XTwwUOcHo&

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I agree on the aggresive metal front, I may like the music but it just doesn't go with the atmosphere generated from climbing. Well not at my level of climbing anyway!

I am at work at the moment but will have a look at your link when I get home later.

Thanks.

How about ideas for dramatic opening tunes and chilled closing tunes?

Cheers
 Leo Woodfelder 28 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Why not try something original and unknown?

Here's a track I made the other day, quite chilled out hiphop with a slightly contrasting bassline.

http://soundcloud.com/leowoodhead/contrast-75-bpm

I know lots of producers so if you are ever after any tunes let me know. If you have a particular genre in mind I'm sure I can throw some tracks your way!
In reply to leroybrown:

Ha, perfect! Would love to throw some original samples in there, they will probably outshine any of the skill shown on the videos but hey ho! I don't need to be the star!

How would I go about downloading the tune so that I can add it to my films? I can't check the link right now as I am at work but I will have a look as soon as I get home. I am looking for any tunes that are fairly upbeat to go with the climbing mid-film, a dramatic (almost heavy) tune for the opening and a really chilled tune for the finishing clipcredits.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what you've got, abviously a mention in the final credits goes without saying. Not that it'll get any further than Vimeo!!

Chris
In reply to PebblePusher: Hey dude, if you feel you can use the track let me know and I can send it over to you on sendspace.

In reply to leroybrown:

Wicked, I'll have a listen tonight and let you know, is it best to ask you on here or shall I PM you?

Cheers
In reply to PebblePusher: Either way dude, it's all the same to me.
 Darron 28 Jun 2011

Ones I've used (admitedly for slides not video) include
Psycho Killer by Talking Heads
Salisbury Hill, peter gabriel
In reply to leroybrown:

Just had a listen to that tune mate, will definitely be able to use that somewhere, can u send me a copy?

Cheers

Sky Scraper - David Lee Roth
In reply to PebblePusher: PM me your email address and I will send it over

Well, if you have some sustained jamming cracks in your video, Jamming by Bob Marley and the Wailers could not be better: "We're jamming, we're jamming, we hope you like jamming too..."
 jcharles 28 Jun 2011

Brainbug by Nightmare. You'll find it on youtube. Should fit in somewhere, and it's not a tune everyone is familiar with.
andyathome 28 Jun 2011
In reply to jcharles:
'Meet on the Ledge' - Fairport Convention
 Ava Adore 28 Jun 2011

The Foo's Pretender - friend used this for a Font video recently which is awesome! OK, so the climbing isn't necessarily awesome but the video is!
 Conor1 28 Jun 2011
I always thought sections of that song 'over and over' by hot chip would really well with a sped-up layback sequence or jamming crack.
OP PebblePusher 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Conor1:

Yeah nice! Good call, that'll get used!

Cheers
 Garbhanach 29 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Have to say I am not a fan of rap style lyrics though it's your video so go with what you like, Boney M Brown Girl in the Rain might go down as a laugh
pottsy 30 Jun 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: primal scream, loaded
 Fraser 30 Jun 2011

'Can't stop now' by Keane?
 Jackwd 16 Jul 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: justice - genesis
 The Pylon King 16 Jul 2011

anything by Throbbing Gristle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...