UKC

Android phones?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 05 Jul 2011
Morning, all.

My mate is trying to talk me into an Android phone - either Samsung Galaxy or Galaxy 2 or HTC Desire or Wildfire.

Anyone got any recommendations/opinions on these?

Thanks,
Wonko The Sane 05 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: I have the HTC Desire HD and it's brilliant. Can't speak highly enough of it. Appears to have none of the glitches and problems people get with I Phones, it has seperate memory, replaceable battery, streaming video, the apps are great. It's miles better in pretty much every way except perhaps the IPhone looks a little sexier (but has half the performance)
 rallymania 05 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:

have had the galaxy s2 for about a month now, it's brilliant, all the above poster said about the htc, but newer and therefore faster again
 beardy mike 05 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: I have a motorola defy - Gorilla tough screen so you don't break it, water resistant and shock resistant - does everything you need it to. If you hate apple, Android works. Well. Infact I hear my missus constantly bitching about how i-phone predictive text is a load of cack, the battery lasts about 2 minutes and it's just not as intuitive as they make out (from personal experience)... if you get on fine with PC's then you've get on fine with Android.
 Andy Hardy 05 Jul 2011
I got a wildfire from Tesco's for £50 earlier this year. At that sort of money you can't go wrong. It seems to do everyting I need (i.e phone text and email) pretty well and the battery life seems reasonable - 2 days(ish) between charges.
 Clarence 05 Jul 2011

I have a Tesco HTC Wildfire for £20/month and once I sorted out what needs to be on all the time I can get the battery life up to about 5 days between charges. I'm more than happy with it and its well within my price range. The only thing to be wary of is that a few apps will not run on the Wildfire due to the screen being a lower resolution than the Desire or similar top-end models. It does everything I want it to though.
 TobyA 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Clarence:
> I have a Tesco HTC Wildfire for £20/month and once I sorted out what needs to be on all the time I can get the battery life up to about 5 days between charges.

Wow. I have the Desire, it does maybe 24 hours if you don't use it for much, but start surfing the net, send emails, making some calls etc. and I reckon its more like 12 hours. Its swapping from wireless to network for internet use is also a bit buggy, but otherwise it's great. Just a shame about the battery. I bought a spare battery for not much off Amazon and that will do me for a weekend camping overnight where I actually use the phone a bit during the day i.e. GPS tracking app, surfing UKC from my sleeping bag etc!
 SonyaD 05 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: Bought a Samsung Galaxy S (um, 19000 I think, rather than the 2) Been fab so far, easy to use, I like the map thing on it and I've already used it as a Sat Nav in my car. Only thing I'm not sure about is that I wanted to be able to download OS maps onto it (we have Memory Maps on pc) but I don't have a scooby how to do it. Anyone know?
 David Barlow 05 Jul 2011
Another vote for the Samsung Galaxy.
 Nick Harvey 05 Jul 2011
Whilst all these phones are probably very good, a phone will only get newer versions of the OS for so long, so i would get the newest version possible. The S2 will probably be supported for another year or two. My Desire has probably has the last update it will ever get. Perhaps relevant if signing up to a 24 month contract.
OP LastBoyScout 05 Jul 2011

Thanks, all.

HTC battery life does sound rubbish - other thing is my mate is already a guru with the Galaxy and is staying with me this week and can get me started.

I'm only really put off by the size of these things - I'm used to a diddy (in comparison) Nokia 5800!

Going to pop into the O2 shop at lunchtime and see what gives...
 SGD 05 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: As with all smart phones you can do a fair bit to improve the battery life on a HTC depending on where you are and what you are doing. i.e when I'm away from a charger I will.

turn down the screen brightness
turn off vibrate
use an app killer to close down apps running in the background,
turn off the auto location finder,
Turn the phone off when I have no signal.

every little helps
 Martin W 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout) Bought a Samsung Galaxy S ... I wanted to be able to download OS maps onto it (we have Memory Maps on pc) but I don't have a scooby how to do it. Anyone know?

According to this thread http://tinyurl.com/3pha83f on the Memory Map UK forums, an Android version of Memory Map is due out this summer.

There is an app called Viewranger but you'd have to buy your OS maps all over again from them.
 stevev 05 Jul 2011
> There is an app called Viewranger but you'd have to buy your OS maps all over again from them.

try searching for MMTracker in the android market place. Uses memory map maps and the basic version is free. The paid version has more features and is cheap.

iksander 05 Jul 2011
In reply to mike kann: Another vote for Motorola Defy. Not sure if doing the Android 2.2 update was a good idea though...
In reply to stevev & Sonya:

Yes - just load the mm files onto your SD card (make sure you've got a big enough card).

Got the free version and it's pretty good - bit painful around scrolling but it is free after all.
 Mikkel 05 Jul 2011
In reply to stevev:

Not to mention that Memory Map is working on an Android version of their software.
 Martin W 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to stevev)
>
> Not to mention that Memory Map is working on an Android version of their software.

It had already been mentioned!
 Martin W 05 Jul 2011
In reply to iksander:
> (In reply to mike kann) Another vote for Motorola Defy. Not sure if doing the Android 2.2 update was a good idea though...

I bought mine off eBay a week or so back and the upgrade to 2.2 (unbranded version) was one of the first things I did. What has made you unhappy about it?
 Mikkel 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Martin W:

just going blind it seems
 chris j 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Nick Harvey:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout)
> Whilst all these phones are probably very good, a phone will only get newer versions of the OS for so long, so i would get the newest version possible.

But as long as the phone does what you want, would most people care whether they're running Android 2.1, 2.3 or whatever newer version? I'm happy enough with my Defy running 2.1, is my phone experience going to be that much better that I should worry because it will probably never get an update to 2.3 or higher?
In reply to LastBoyScout: I had set my mind to getting a Motorola Defy in a few weeks when my current contract expires but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse sh*t at the moment especially on O2 so I may need to re-think. The HTC Desire is looking favourite at the mo so if anyone can add any more comments I would be grateful.

Al
Wonko The Sane 05 Jul 2011
In reply to SGD:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout) As with all smart phones you can do a fair bit to improve the battery life on a HTC depending on where you are and what you are doing. i.e when I'm away from a charger I will.
>
> turn down the screen brightness
> turn off vibrate
> use an app killer to close down apps running in the background,
> turn off the auto location finder,
> Turn the phone off when I have no signal.
>
> every little helps

The only time I ever suffer 'power issues' is when I'm doing something outdoorsy for a couple of days. In these instances I just carry a spare battery, and anyway have the phone off.

You don't need an app killer for the Desire HD, simply do a soft restart on the phone every few days.
I have push mail and I still find I have enough battery to see me through the day and I have a charger in the car, one in the office..... If you're buying a £400 phone is £10 on two chargers such a massive deal?
 Nick Harvey 05 Jul 2011
In reply to chris j:
Depends how much of a geek you are i guess! The last update to my Desire brought wifi tethering which is handy, and Android still isn't as stable as iOS, so if they improve that, you would want it.
 jockster 05 Jul 2011
Got a Samsung Galaxy - can't fault it. Essential to get 'JuiceDefender' as it almost consistently doubles the battery life.
OP LastBoyScout 05 Jul 2011
In reply to jockster:

Good tip - thanks.
 Stefan Kruger 05 Jul 2011

In my day job, I develop smartphone apps, and I currently have an HTC Desire, a Samsung Galaxy S and an iPhone. I also had the first Android phone, the G1, but that's now well and truly retired.

The Desire is a way better phone than the Galaxy S, which feels plasticky and looks like a cheap knock-off of the iPhone.

Without wishing to sound like a fan boi, but as someone who's been using heavily both the iphone and the desire daily over the last year, whilst the desire is a great phone, the iphone is just so much better in every conceivable regard. Well, every conceivable regard but one (notifications).

In my humble opinion, anyway.
 iforwms 05 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: got a samsung galaxy s2, best phone I've had to date.
Cats 06 Jul 2011

Why is your mate trying to get you onto Android? Do you need a new phone? If so make a list of the features you need and the ones you want, see what matches the list and buy it. Don't get suckered into 'open source is good proprietory is bad' when what is good is a phone that meets your needs and what is bad is a phone that doesn't, or that costs a lot more than another one that does. Function rules OK.
 Fluvial 06 Jul 2011

The iphone 5 will be out towards the end of the year - you should be able to get cheaper deals on the 3 and 4 - from what I am told, as I have yet to venture into the smartphone market the 3 is the best one, but I know people will disagree.
I bought my missus the HTC desire smartphone unfortunately she wasn't smart enough to get it out of the box. (Bom bom)
OP LastBoyScout 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Cats:

You make some good points.

However, my aging and battered Nokia 5800, while brilliant at doing most things I want, is now 2.5 years old and isn't brilliant for mobile internet access. I'll still keep it as my spare phone, though.

Cost-wise, as I'm long overdue an upgrade, I can get any of the smart phones on a tariff that is about what I'm already paying on average and without any fee for the handset - with the included internet access and unlimited texts, it might even work out cheaper.
 Reach>Talent 06 Jul 2011
In reply to fozmeister:
The iphone 5 will be out towards the end of the year - you should be able to get cheaper deals on the 3 and 4 - from what I am told, as I have yet to venture into the smartphone market the 3 is the best one, but I know people will disagree.

The next iPhone release will be around september this year, as I understand it it will be called the iPhone5 but is basically an iPhone4S so an incremental upgrade rather than a total re-vamp.
joey82 06 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Clarence)
> [...]
>
> Wow. I have the Desire, it does maybe 24 hours if you don't use it for much, but start surfing the net, send emails, making some calls etc. and I reckon its more like 12 hours.

It's always been the case with smart phones, use them like a phone and the battery lasts, use them like a laptop and the battery last about as long as a laptop.
joey82 06 Jul 2011
Unrelated to iOS v android etc etc, i highly recommend tesco mobile, after being with most network providers i was extremely impress with tesco's coverage and customer service, was tempted to go with orange to save a few £'s a months and i've been regretting it ever since.
In reply to joey82: To the best of my knowledge Tesco do not have a Network to provide improved coverage. They will probably use either Vodaphone or O2 etc. When I was involved in Telecoms we always considered Orange as having the poorest network for coverage.

Al
Wonko The Sane 06 Jul 2011
In reply to fozmeister:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout)
>
> The iphone 5 will be out towards the end of the year - you should be able to get cheaper deals on the 3 and 4 - from what I am told, as I have yet to venture into the smartphone market the 3 is the best one, but I know people will disagree.
> I bought my missus the HTC desire smartphone unfortunately she wasn't smart enough to get it out of the box. (Bom bom)

Someone on here posted this on here the other day.
It's funny cos it's so true!!

youtube.com/watch?v=7xo3hFEWScA&
joey82 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
Yes i expect so, O2 iirc, it was more the fact that they answered the phone when you rang rather then being on hold (the record is 45mins so far with orange), and call centres in the UK. The signal with orange really is crap, and i couldn't get anything from vodaphone in my house, (i'm in a city not out in the sticks, and the coverage maps show a good connection, but i think it must be stone walls/old house). The only thing letting down O2 was again v.poor customer service, never tried 3, some friends loved them, some didn't
 DreadyCraig 06 Jul 2011
I upgraded from a 5800, I ended up hating it as it kept locking up. I went for a HTC Incredible S (because of the fab name). It is small enough to be pocketable but the screen is big enough for web surfing etc. I think it's an amazing bit of kit. Highly recommended, It was only available from Carphone warehouse (and thier sister website mobiles.co.uk).
Battery life is just good enough to last a day of normal/heavy usage, I just charge it every night when i'm in bed.
needvert 06 Jul 2011

My HTC Desire is awesome. When it came out it was general opinion it was the best.

But things change fast. My Desire doesn't leave me wanting in any way, aside from battery life.

But, battery life for everything sucks. The days of recharging once a week seem over.
 Martin W 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> (In reply to joey82) To the best of my knowledge Tesco do not have a Network to provide improved coverage. They will probably use either Vodaphone or O2 etc.

Tesco use O2. Virgin use T-Mobile. If you want to know which physical network(s) your virtual network operator uses, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_MVNO#United_Kingdom
 Andes 06 Jul 2011
Mine's great, I often travel to remote areas, with my Motorola I can carry a spare battery (unlike with I-phone I think) so playing music, taking pictures etc is no problem for up to two weeks with careful battery management. Easier, cheaper, lighter than carrying all that solar charging kit around with you.
joey82 06 Jul 2011
In reply to needvert:
In terms of battery i've always found BB to be brilliant, the media player and internet browers aren't as good as android/iOS, but for staying connected, twitbook, email etc it's brilliant, even with heavy use tend to get 3+ days, compared to iphone i had for a while which would struggle to make it through 1.
joey82 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Martin W:
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_MVNO#United_Kingdom

Just looking at the list some operators use very different frequencies, is that why some are better at giving coverage indoors, despite having strong signal outside?
 Toerag 06 Jul 2011
In reply to joey82:
> Just looking at the list some operators use very different frequencies, is that why some are better at giving coverage indoors, despite having strong signal outside?

It depends on the frequency their network uses - lower frequency (900) goes through walls much better than higher frequency (1800).
joey82 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Toerag:
Thanks something to consider when i change.
OP LastBoyScout 06 Jul 2011
In reply to:

Well, after having a bit of a mooch around, I decided I liked the look and feel of the HTC Sensation, but based on battery life and comments about the Sense interface, I've gone for the Galaxy S2.

After some haggling, O2 pricematched Phones 4 U and waived the £100 handset fee, so I'm on a tariff about the same as what I was paying anyway.

Looking forward to a much better texting interface and mapping capabilities, for a start.
 DreadyCraig 06 Jul 2011
Whatever you do, don't download angry birds, it's soooooo addictive!
Wonko The Sane 06 Jul 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: I've completed it and have withdrawal!
 Glansa 06 Jul 2011

With regard to battery life my iphone4 generally outlasts friends/co-workers Desire batteries (with wifi and bluetooth always on and GPS allowed to work whenever an app wants it too, what's the point of getting a smartphone if you turn off all the features?!).

As for not being able to carry spares/replace the battery there are loads of battery cases around that add relatively little bulk and weight to the iphone (especially if you usually have it in a case anyway) that can triple the time between charges if you need it. Also with battery cases I've found that not needing to turn the phone off/take it apart etc. when the battery gets low is just less hassle than it used to be when my previous (5 years of) HTC.

Nick
 iksander 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to iksander)
> [...]
>
> I bought mine off eBay a week or so back and the upgrade to 2.2 (unbranded version) was one of the first things I did. What has made you unhappy about it?

It slowed down a lot after the upgrade and more apps needed a force quit. However this seems to have improved over the last week or so. The reason I wanted 2.2 was so that I could overlay my work calendar with my google calendar
 Toerag 13 Jul 2011
In reply to iksander:
> (In reply to Martin W)
> [...]
>
> It slowed down a lot after the upgrade and more apps needed a force quit. However this seems to have improved over the last week or so. The reason I wanted 2.2 was so that I could overlay my work calendar with my google calendar

Work colleagues did theirs last weeek and now cannot access their work email even with assistance from our IT dept. I'm sticking to 2.1 for now!
 Fraser 13 Jul 2011

Got an HTC Wildfire with Virgin (£15/mo.) a few months back - first toe dipped into the Android market. Been very happy with it to date. The only downside I can see with it is the poor-ish screen resolution, meaning you have to zoom in further when viewing text etc to get it properly legible. Nowhere near as good as an iPhone or similar.

But overall, for me at least, it's been a good, entry-level smart phone. Battery life is fair, giving me roughly two days pretty low useage between charges but it doeas charge quickly, either by mains or USB connection.
 John_Hat 13 Jul 2011
In reply to joey82:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> [...]
>
> It's always been the case with smart phones, use them like a phone and the battery lasts, use them like a laptop and the battery last about as long as a laptop.

Agree with this. I use my HTC Desire as a phone, and will normally get 3 days out of the battery, sometimes more.

Turning off a lot of the auto-sync data/postion/GPS etc stuff helps a lot.
 JimboWizbo 13 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: I have a HTC Sensation. Wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...