UKC

Thor Hushovd - 112kmh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 16 Jul 2011
An incredible 112kmh on the descent of the Aubisque yesterday.

What's your best? Mine's 102kmh coming off the Ventoux.

E
Dirk Didler 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 195mph(on the speedo so it could have been out)blackbird xxx on the dolphinton straight outside embra,does this count?
Removed User 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: About 98kmh, Burlington Slate down to Grizebeck, feckin terrifying!
marmot hunter 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Removed User:
Only 85kph (Princetown to Devil's Bridge) not too impressive.
 existing debt 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

about 94/95 Kmh, Pork hill heading to Tavi, I reckon with a good wind behind you 100kmh is do-able, Ive been waiting for the perfect north easterly wind for a while so i can crack my 100kmh cherry.

Paul
 EddInaBox 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

I was quite chuffed when I got over 40mph coming off the Hammersmith flyover once.
 Tobias at Home 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 114kph on skis but only 83kph on a bike - limited by my generally cowardly nature...
 sutty 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

62mph down Bray hill in IOM, only did it the once as too bumpy staying on own side of road. Probably well over 50 in races though.
Tim Chappell 16 Jul 2011
In reply to sutty:

Never been over 65kph.
One misplaced pebble, one pothole you fail to spot, bang, you're dead.
In reply to Enty:

About 75kph coming down Llanberis Pass, overtaking cars was fun until a BMW decided to pull out of one of the now closed parking spots!!!

ALC
In reply to Enty:

54 mph on my own.

58 mph on a triplet (we never got the chance to go down any 'proper' steep hills on it!)
 Timmd 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Think i've only done 35 mph at the most. I don't know because I don't have a speedo, but I regularly make one of those speed signs which give up an uphappy face if you're doing more than 30 show an uphappy face.

I'm too cowardly to do more than what feels like between 30 and 40.

It hurt enough falling off at about 25, lots of multicoloured bruising.

Cheers
Tim
 TobyA 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: According to my GPS I hit 72.5 km/h on my hybrid going down a hill earlier this year. I was quite amazed it could go that fast. There aren't many big hills in S. Finland, this was probably only 500 mtrs of downhill.
 BelleVedere 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

45mph coming down Dummail raise. there was a kick ass tailwind that day
 VS4b 16 Jul 2011
In reply to es:

48.7mph down leckhampton hill in cheltenham
 Blinder 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 92 kmh while in tri bars I was very very scared.
Removed User 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> I'm too cowardly to do more than what feels like between 30 and 40.
>
> It hurt enough falling off at about 25, lots of multicoloured bruising.
>
Must admit as I get older the "bottle" is going a bit. The state of your average Cumbrian road doesn't help, had a number of very sketchy moments a couple of weeks ago descending from Corney fell to Duddon bridge.

Most disappointing downhill was from Hartside pass, too shallow for real scary stuff.
 Green Porridge 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

A measly 80kph down one of our local hills here. Unfortunately, there are none round here where you can go any faster. What I am always amazed about is how they can descend in this position:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_le8ref54Fn1qbxnpgo1_1280.jpg...

without crashing! I guess the key to going fast is not having any nasty winds, knowing the road, and being confident.

Tim
 220bpm 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 72mph on a snowboard and 55mph on a bike. Speed rules!
Removed User 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Green Porridge: The "hang over the front of the bars" technique is far more scary!
 handjammer 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 59mph on my mountain bike near Louth, Lincs (Maybe Tathwell or Rutland Hill? - a few years ago now), and 58mph on my road bike somewhere in Yorkshire. A lot more frightening on 20mm road tyres I have to say!
 Frank4short 16 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA: Hit about 85kmph on my old road bike once. Probably could have gone faster except I bottled it seeing as the road wasn't great & the wheels weren't exactly the stiffest.

If i were to guess i'd say i've probably done well in excess of 100kmph on skis though unfortunately i'm not in a position to confirm that.
Removed User 16 Jul 2011
 existing debt 16 Jul 2011

I try not to think about coming off the bike, those thoughts are unhealthy.

When i first starting riding my road bike i came to the conclusion that coming off at 30mph would probably hurt just as much as 50 mph, so no need to limit yourself, some hills in Devon and cornwall are more dangerous if your on the brakes, let go, tuck in and enjoy!

Paul
coaster 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: Armand De Las Cuevas was reported to have reached 122kph in the early 90's. I think it was in the Giro where he was up against the great spaniard and 5 time winner of the TDF Miguel Indurain.
 Graham T 16 Jul 2011
In reply to coaster:
Which of the lunatics was it back in the 70s that experimented with aero positions on descents.
His eventual position being the superman position over the bars, holding on with one hand and the other stretched out in front of him.
cling2 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

54mph on a fire road in Wales giggling like a loon, the club mate who shot passed me like i was on stabilisers was giggling much more manically.

Thors day out was marvelous. Planned and won in exceptional style.
 Padraig 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
> An incredible 112kmh on the descent of the Aubisque yesterday.

I'm not sure but I reckon this kinda speed is not outta the ordinary for these guys??

I managed 107kmh down the Bouglie on Arran! Was kinda enjoying it until a sheep wandered onto road 200 mtrs away! Luckily, by the time I got there it was on other side of road! I slowed down after that.
In reply to Tobias at Home:

You've definitely gone faster than that as I clocked 120kph following you...
 tim000 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: i managed about 20mph last jan. only i was on my back with the bike on top of me. does this count.(bl***8y ice)
 TobyA 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: Just back in from a ride, managed 50.4 kmph coming down a steep and a slightly muddy bridle path off Abberley Hill that I've never ridden before. Quite exciting on the Decathlon Rockrider I a third own with my dad allowing me to ride when I'm in England. Doing that speed I noticed a) the tyres are a bit more squirrelly than on my Kona back home and b) the cable disc brakes aren't as good as the hydraulic disc brakes on my Kona back home. Exciting times! The suspension is actually better though - top Decathlon value!
 Toby S 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

50mph/80kph along the last wee stretch between Garve and Contin, managed to drop a Mercedes because he couldn't keep up on the bends, the look on his face was priceless! In fairness he was a tourist and wasn't really going that fast to start with.
 sutty 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby S:

They mentioned on the heroes programme the other day that some of the drivers and camera crew get scared following the bikes on some of the twisty descents.
 Graham T 16 Jul 2011
In reply to sutty:
Went to a talk with Phil Ligett where he introduced that film (got the dvd now too), he said that some sections are terrifying, and that they as commentators have to drive most of the next stage after they finish commentating that day. Imagine driving that lot in the dark.
The footage in chasing legends when the team cars are almost getting airborne following the riders makes you blink too
 The New NickB 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

Measure in mph, I am a coward and start backing off at 50 mph, complete terror at this stage.
 James Moyle 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: Managed 44.3mph (averaged over one minute) this week on a £70 mountain bike from JJB Sports. If only I could get it past 15 mph on the flat!
 Tobias at Home 16 Jul 2011
In reply to featuresforfeet:
> (In reply to Tobias at Home)
>
> You've definitely gone faster than that as I clocked 120kph following you...

true, but I don't have a certificate for that time!
 stonewall 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

but what's your best time going up from the line just outside bedoin to the top?
Tim Chappell 16 Jul 2011
In reply to stonewall:

I think my proudest speed achievement is when I get it just right hitting the roundabout dip in Lochee (Dundee cyclists will know where I mean) and get to power out of the roundabout, UP the hill, at 45 kph all the way to the top of the hill at the next roundabout
 BelleVedere 17 Jul 2011
In reply to 220bpm:

actually speed terrifys me - i'm a total wuss when it comes to coming down things fast
 sleavesley 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 88kph Harley Bank outside Much Wenlock, getting shocked looks from car driver looking in mirror - if it was mph I would of gone back in time with my flux capacitor fitted!
Regularly achieve 70-75kph on the hills in Shropshire although moving to Wrexham so will have to see what I do on and around the Horseshoe Pass.
 Mooncat 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

74mph can't remember the road but it was near the Stelvio. I had the top speed on my computer for years but was gutted when the battery ran out and lost it.

Fastest in this country was 63mph off Holme Moss.
 sutty 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat:

Damn that is fast, going down to that hairpin on a steepening road. Would have worried about brake fade there.
 Brass Nipples 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> 74mph can't remember the road but it was near the Stelvio. I had the top speed on my computer for years but was gutted when the battery ran out and lost it.
>
> Fastest in this country was 63mph off Holme Moss.

Riding Holme Moss on the Tour of the Peak sportive in August - see what I can manage

sutty 17 Jul 2011
In reply to PaleMan:

It is a lot smoother now, and the hairpin is now a fast flowing bend compared with when Mooncat and I used to ride down it.
OP Enty 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> 74mph can't remember the road but it was near the Stelvio. I had the top speed on my computer for years but was gutted when the battery ran out and lost it.
>

We have a winner!! My old Cannondale was humming at 102 - nice one.

E

Mooncat 17 Jul 2011
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Mooncat)
>
> Damn that is fast, going down to that hairpin on a steepening road. Would have worried about brake fade there.

Brakes were fine it was the skipping around on the bumps that was scary, must be 20 years since I've been down there might have a ride out there next weekend.

Mooncat 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

102 on Ventoux is shifting, but Italy's where it's at for steepness. Did a circuit in the dales a couple of weeks back, not sure whether it's Yorkshire tightness not wanting to use too much tarmac but they tend to go straight over rather than around lumps there, f*ck me everything's steep.
 sutty 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat:

Descent of this road is interesting, limit myself to 70mph on it most times in spite of its straighteness due to humps;
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1755406
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1343437
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1343457
 andy 18 Jul 2011
In reply to sutty: Coming off Fleet Moss can be bloody terrifying - lumps and bumps but also big crosswinds quite often.
 Toby_W 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

I've hit 80kph on Dartmoor where other people have also mentioned, that was scary as we held that speed for quite a while it seemed.

Fasted ever was 88kph on the flat behind a lorry on the dual carriage way between Bristol and Bath (A4). Caught it perfectly off the roundabout and just got sucked up, the scary part was finally dropping back through the turbulance.

Cheers

Toby
 Scomuir 18 Jul 2011
I'd have thought that the cycling achievement would be second to actually making it out of Lochee unscathed?
 sutty 18 Jul 2011
In reply to andy:

The road by Fylingdales is similar, but does not have as many bumps in it, though more traffic on it.
 R8JimBob88 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

53mph/85kph for me down towards goyt valley.
Removed User 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

About 48 mph coming down Wessenden Head Road by West Nab. Section after the cattle grid thankfully...
 a crap climber 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

42mph down Walna Scar road towards Seathwaite. I was on my downhill bike, it only has a 38t chainring and I couldn't pedal any faster. One day I might put a bigger chainring on and see if I can add a bit.
 m1ke_smith 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Removed User:

My fastest was 48.6mph on the Cormet De Roseland (heading down towards Bourg St Maurice).

I was on a fully panniered touring bike.. That was as fast as my legs/gears would carry me!

Brilliant fun!
 Tobias at Home 18 Jul 2011
In reply to m1ke_smith:
> (In reply to Hardonicus)
>
> My fastest was 48.6mph on the Cormet De Roseland (heading down towards Bourg St Maurice).
>
> I was on a fully panniered touring bike.. That was as fast as my legs/gears would carry me!
>
> Brilliant fun!

that's where I hit my maximum but on the other side, heading to Beaufort.
 Jimbo C 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

48mph/ 77kph down the hill West of Oughtibridge (few miles North of Sheffield). It was on my mountain bike and I couldn't pedal any faster. You had to be quite brave because it's a narrow and bumpy road with a blind bend just before the steepest section.
 chris.mac 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
about 65kph - wind resistance + bounce for 2 seconds 21/11/1993
0kph for the next 11 days - spinal bed
slow crawl - 3 months

now always take a rope !
dwyerj 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: 98.8 kph pusjing a 55/11 with 175 cranks coming of Saddleworth on the A635 but had to slow down for cars on the blind left hander at the bottom
Removed User 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

75kph on my laden touring bike heading down into St Affrique in Tarn.

The fastest I can think of was on a mountain bike on the Bealach na Ba road under the Sword of Gideon buttress. I don't know what speed I was doing but it felt much, much faster than the 50mph I'd clocked on Cairn o'Mount a week before.
needvert 24 Jul 2011
Christ....I get scared above 35kmph!

I do like breaking the speed limit though.
(Wonder how many cyclists get speeding tickets)
In reply to needvert:

I don't think you can be since the law hasn't caught up with technology so there is no requirement to fit a speedometer. You can be prosecuted for "furious pedalling"!

My brother and his mates got pulled up for overtaking a police car when going downhill in a 30mph limit. They were only about fourteen years old at the time so got a safety lecture.

ALC
 Mooncat 24 Jul 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber:

You can be prosecuted for "furious pedalling"!
>

The charge would be riding furiously, it goes back to the riding round on a horse days.

Tobias at Home 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat: i'd be proud of that and would have the summons framed and put on my wall...
In reply to Mooncat:

I think you'd be locked up pedalling on a horse!

ALC
 Henry Iddon 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

Recall doing 60 -65 mph in Tour of Lancs one year. The whole peloton lined out. Think it was the dual carriage way out of Rawtenstall towards Clitheroe / M65?

Mind some fast descents in the Ras at slower speeds but shocking roads were more terrifying - recall a high speed nightmare in torrential rain into Cahirciveen.
 rallymania 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
60mph on a mtb with offroad tyres down the ski access road from cairngorm

we over took the pepsi truck at 45mph, and i overtook my mate at just on 60mph (on both our speedos)
the hairpin bend at the lower carpark at about 45mph was also fun
tyres were warm at the bottom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...