UKC

Peak midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CathS 27 Jul 2011
Anyone out in the Peak today?

Were midges a problem?

Thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon, but not if it's going to be unbearable!
 LakesWinter 27 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS: They were pretty bad yesterday evening, you need somewhere in the breeze, try laddow or ramshaw if the wind is still easterly
 jimjimjim 27 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS: i know that sometimes midges can be bad in the peak but i can honestly say I've only ever been midged off a crag once in over ten years of regular peak cragging . always go climbing if you get the chance no matter how bad someone says the biting burgers might be. if you do get got head for the limestone. have fun.
 The Reaper 27 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS:

Despite a windless muggy evening at Burbage just now, I can't say I noticed them.
 a crap climber 27 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS:
Just got back from Cadshaw rocks and they were terrible!
 EeeByGum 28 Jul 2011
In reply to jimjimjim: You must be very lucky. There is a point where you can feel the blighters crawling all over you that gets me running for cover.
 Jon Read 28 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS:
They were (at times) excruciating at the Roaches last night, but it was a muggy, still and warm evening.
 Alex@home 28 Jul 2011
In reply to Jon Read:

was ok at castle naze last night until about 9 when they suddenly seemed to come out. until then the flying ants were far more annoying
 Neil Henson 28 Jul 2011
In reply to MattG: There were quite a few at Ramshaw last night too!
 Jimbo C 28 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS:

I would expect lots of midges today with it being still and warm, but you never know. A few weeks ago we got midged off Stanage and went down the road to Burbage and found no midges out.
 nickcanute 28 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS: if its got to be grit try the amber valley crags, turning stone etc, matlock quarries, new mills, or get onto the limestone (but not harpur hill)
 Lukem6 28 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS: I'm curious and i'm also new to limestone... why less midges on the limestone
 Jonny2vests 29 Jul 2011
In reply to lm610:
> (In reply to CathS) I'm curious and i'm also new to limestone... why less midges on the limestone

I've often wondered why midges are grit snobs. I think it must be due to the moorland vegetation (ferns, bracken, heather) that are predominant at grit crags.
 Lukem6 29 Jul 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: makes sense. grits snobs, there's a lot of them these days. But that means I get a lonely limestone crag like stoney to myself. yippee!
 David Peters 29 Jul 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: >I've often wondered why midges are grit snobs.

Obviously never been to Kilnsey on a still summer evening
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jul 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:

That, or the standing water where they lay their eggs any where the larvae develop.

Chris
 Helnorris 29 Jul 2011
In reply to CathS: Not there myself but have spokent my otherhalf who said they were quite a few lol.
 Leo Woodfelder 29 Jul 2011
In reply to jimjimjim: I have had to retreat from a crag once in 3 years climbing. It was unbearable, we were up a tintwistle and got savaged. I was in shorts and tshirt and got absolutely savaged. They cahsed me all the way up the route. My belayer prob got it worse though. He was fully covered apart from his face which they went to town on. His whole face was completely covered in bites! It wasn't pretty!

Jonny2vests 29 Jul 2011
In reply to David Peters:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) >I've often wondered why midges are grit snobs.
>
> Obviously never been to Kilnsey on a still summer evening

No I haven't. An interesting anomaly. They hate Stoney, something about polish blah blah.
 Lukem6 29 Jul 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: polish what have they ever done to us. If only the world was covered in friction so the polish and midges could never fear a smooth surface.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...