UKC

NEWS: Wide Boys Hit America: Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Sep 2011
If seen do not approach. They are arm-barred and dangerous..., 4 kbPete Whittaker and Tom Randall have been training hard in a dank cellar in Sheffield for several months and are now jetting off to America to find and climb some very wide cracks.

"The part of the trip I'm most apprehensive about is trying Lucille in Vedauwoo (it's such a hugely significant route) or realising that I've actually booked our flights for the wrong country and we're off to Yemen." commented Tom.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64040

diff 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Hi Morgan, Thanks for the link and subtle feedback on the web design
 Morgan Woods 12 Sep 2011
In reply to diff:

ok - my apologies....i do love the content and what Pete and Tom are doing but white text on a black background is an internet pet hate of mine....you could even say it's a bete noir.
 Reach>Talent 12 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Brilliant, any beta on how to persuade the other half that turning your basement into a torture chamber is a good idea?
 tom290483 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Brilliant, any beta on how to persuade the other half that turning your basement into a torture chamber is a good idea?

if she's a bit kinky i'm sure it could be quite easy
 Jonny2vests 12 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Go Team Esoterica.
 franksnb 13 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News: i hate the term but I am utterly psyched for these guys. I hope they have an awesome time, I cannot wait for the DVD!
GeoffM 14 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Ryan Pasquill , Pete Hurley and gang have also set off for
the states . Looks like a strong team
 Morgan Woods 14 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Speaking of nasty american cracks here is a great vid from back in the day featuring Tony Yaniro on Paisano Overhang at Suicide:

youtube.com/watch?v=fu7gp-aKsbo&
 Wild Country 14 Sep 2011
In reply to GeoffM: Yes that's a strong team and Caff's with them too...
 Hannes 14 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News: Its an impressive photo of the 14 cams for gnarly offwidths
GeoffM 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Richie Patterson, Wild Country:

Bars Boulders and Crags beware!! Can't wait for the tales
 poeticshambles 14 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News: Hey, can anyone tell me who makes those huge cams in the photo of the lads?

Thanks.
 Reach>Talent 14 Sep 2011
In reply to poeticshambles:
They are size 5 and 6 technical friends and no one makes them anymore as wild country seem to have discontinued them. The only comparable sized cams you'll find in the uk are the largest camalots which retail for £85-100 each
 halo 15 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:
> Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall have been training hard in a dank cellar in Sheffield for several months and are now jetting off to America to find and climb some very wide cracks.
>
> "The part of the trip I'm most apprehensive about is trying Lucille in Vedauwoo (it's such a hugely significant route) or realising that I've actually booked our flights for the wrong country and we're off to Yemen." commented Tom.
>
> Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64040

What exactly have they been training on in the dank cellar, one would hope the training involved would be jamming techniques outdoors. Best of luck to them.

Reach>Talent 16 Sep 2011
In reply to halo:
Given that they've both soloed what is probably the hardest off-width in the peak I suspect there is a lack of suitable outdoor training available
 Jon Read 16 Sep 2011
In reply to halo:
That cellar isn't like normal ones....
 ro8x 16 Sep 2011
In reply to halo:

I've seen the cellar. It's not pretty. Full of vile offwidths.

MKEAN has a good point: if you've done the hardest already on solo, what else is there to do?
 ro8x 18 Sep 2011
 jas wood 18 Sep 2011
In reply to ro8x: wonder if they go and look at dean potters crack house ?
 ro8x 21 Sep 2011
 Chris the Tall 21 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Is it a good idea to give these disreputable perverts the oxygen of publicity ?

Every time I see a pic of Randall with his feet above his head it just makes me sick...it,s just plain wrong I tell you.

God put our feet down there for reason !
 Alex Ekins 24 Sep 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Vomit away, here's another pic of some Randall wrong way up weirdness - http://alexekins.co.uk/wide-boyz-in-vedauwoo-part-three/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...