UKC

Esoteric Climbing Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 antoniusblock 14 Sep 2011
There are a fair few routes of the esoteric nature out there, with either strange moves or odd locations, and having climbed a few I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I will start with two of the more mainstream offerings:

Kinky Boots - Baggy Point: The fall over starting move - not for the faint hearted

BAW's Crawl - Stanage: Upside down caving
 remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock: The Bantham Hand is classic Esoterica.
 Reach>Talent 14 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock:
Are off-width perverts allowed to participate in this thread or do you just want routes that are actually fun?
 deepstar 14 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock: "Brackets" at Sandford Quarry,very strange protection but great fun.
 JJL 14 Sep 2011

Waterfall - Chasm
Underground - Crypt
Disposable - Wreckers or Breakaway or Bike
Unsuitable medium - Skeleton or White Fright
Wet - Benny at spring high tide on a stormy day
Bizarre - BAW's
Aid point - Looning the tube or Out of my tree (or similar one on grit that I can't remember)
Arrest/altercation - anything at Alton Towers; (previously) Doug
Rope tricks - Stoer or Napes

The thing is, when I look back so many of the great days are on off-beat routes. Love 'em
 Microwired22 14 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock: The Elephants arse @ Holyhead Mountain.
 porridgefan 14 Sep 2011

Anyone tried Labyrinth?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=133814
 jimjimjim 14 Sep 2011
In reply Baw's crawl made me laugh out loud as i squirmed my way up it and kinky boots had a nut off me when i fumbled with my wires it dropped into the sea. great routes but not that esoteric if you ask me. Have you seen the esoterica list in 'On Peak Rock' ? Some of those are quite different. I've done most of them apart from the e4...great fun.
 Jon Stewart 14 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock: Surely Preposterous Tails is the classic of this genre?
 Goucho 14 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock: Dover Ellis Chimney at Burbage - solid E13.
 Reach>Talent 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
He did say esoteric rather than 'dangerous sandbag', that said I'm keen to have a look at it
 mlmatt 15 Sep 2011

You should look up the "esoterica" section in an old copy of On Peak Rock. I've been trying to work through them and have started with Mam Tor Gully. It's definatly up there as an esoteric route!!! But that'll give you a good start for things around the Peak District.

As a bonus On Peak Rock, as a section on pinnicals and "rock bits", which seem to be somethine like caving/rock climbing. I don't know if this woudl interest you?
OP antoniusblock 15 Sep 2011
In reply to mlmatt: Yeah, anything that is a bit weird or fun. I have spotted the BMC esoteric ticklist, was thinking of doing as much of that as possible.

In reply to everyone else: Thanks for the suggestions, they look like great fun - will have to go and try some of them out.
In reply to JJL:

>
> The thing is, when I look back so many of the great days are on off-beat routes. Love 'em

Of the few i have done, they have been "type two fun" and i fancy a bit more of them - its always fun later on in the pub!

cheese@4p 15 Sep 2011
Posibly the most esoteric: GG Rider in Gaping Ghyll?
 Howard J 15 Sep 2011

Sea Tube at Rusty Point

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=63186
In reply to porridgefan:
> (In reply to antoniusblock)
>
> Anyone tried Labyrinth?

Ask Adam Lincoln!

jcm
 Jimbo C 15 Sep 2011

Not exactly esoterica but routes with unusual/ memorable parts:

Cleft Wing at Stanage - fall over and catch the jugs (or a big stretch if you're tall like me). Also, just above is the weirdness of the 5.9 Finish (and it's not far from BAW's either)

Barry Mannilow at Burbage N. - the airy finish padding up a narrow nose of rock is rather unique (for Burbage) and being the only route on that tiny buttress makes it feel a bit of a gem.
 Yanchik 15 Sep 2011

Another vote for Skeleton Ridge - "unsuitable medium" indeed ? Bah humbug. Get it before it's gone !

Y
 Ramblin dave 15 Sep 2011
Anything at Finedon Slabs.

That shipwreck that's got routes on it.
 Rampikino 15 Sep 2011

Labyrinth is very much an esoteric route. Did this back in 2008 and found it one of the most incredible experiences on rock - not so much the climbing in itself, but the shape of the rock, the atmosphere etc.

Whip Me! Whip Me! in Lancs is one that needs a certain amount of masochism to attempt. Not for the purists.

For those "in the know" how about TIBIA at Whanganui Bay in New Zealand - unusual for a very particular and slightly disturbing reason.
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> That shipwreck that's got routes on it.

You mean stuff like "The Incredible Hulk"?

Bingers 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> Anything at Finedon Slabs.

Thats where I learnt to climb.

I used to cycle other from Wellingborough every Friday evening with my Scout friends. Memories.
 Tom Last 15 Sep 2011

Captain Webb - Luxulyan Valley.

Really, don't even think about it!
 David Pye 16 Sep 2011
In reply to antoniusblock: Try Bridge of Khazad Doom at Baggy. Dead easy but a ludicrous top pitch across a set of jammed boulders.
scattercat 17 Sep 2011
Raven Rock Gully @ the Roaches (Nice and gloomy)
Telescope tunnel @ Birchen (Tight)

Neither hard routes but both fun
 Tom Valentine 17 Sep 2011

Looning the Tube. Unforgettable.

And what happened to Tubing the Loon?
 Cheese Monkey 18 Sep 2011
In reply to porridgefan:
>
> Anyone tried Labyrinth?
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=133814

Very odd route, much fun though! Remember looking in with wide eyes. Id love to go back with a hose to clean it off. All the crap made it far too slippy to do it when I was there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...