UKC

Vertical world - Dundee. Bouldering review please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
i.munro 25 Oct 2011
Anybody care to offer some thoughts. pros -cons?

Ta
 Fraser 26 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:

Went there once. It seemed very limited and didn't even try any of the bouldering. The routes were well set though.

My suggestion would be to drive to TCA Glasgow - you won't regret it.
i.munro 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Fraser:

That might be tempting but I'm going to be at a meeting in Dundee without a car.
 oliverk 26 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:

Imo it's worth bringing the bouldering kit and giving it a try. I used to boulder there regularly at lunchtimes when I was at work. Non members get an hour for £4 at lunchtime if I remember correctly.

Its not massively extensive, but a good range of angles and problems seemed quite well set to me.
 rusty_nails 26 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:

There is a good bouldering community (and facility) at AVW, but it's bloody expensive for the size of the place.
i.munro 26 Oct 2011
In reply to rusty_nails:

Sounds worth a look then. Just one thing, I frequently find bouldering walls down south too hot/humid to be used. Surely I'm not going to have this problem in god's own country am I?
 Rachel_Conlan 26 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:
I climb at AV a couple of times a week. There's a good spread of bouldering grades. It's not the biggest of walls, but it's pretty dense, and the routes are very well set and very frequently changed. The regulars are a lovely bunch. Definitely worth going to, although it does tend to get a wee bit greasy in damp weather. Although that might be the excuse we use for under-performing from time to time as much as it is an objective problem It isn't really an issue at this time of year anyway.
i.munro 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Rachel_Conlan:

Thanks. Sounds like it's worth a go.

Paul035 26 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:

May be worth taking a harness too. They have 2 lines (6-8 routes) with a belay machine inertia wheel I'm-not-quite-sure-how-it-works-but-it-does thing for doing some top roping without a partner if you find the bouldering area limited.
Paul035 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Paul035:

And if you are in there through the day the heat will not be a problem!!!!
 pebblespanker 27 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:

Visited a few times over the winters past I'd agree around problems and the grades, certainly worth a trip if you are in the city but if you are in the area with transport there are better options Alien in Edinburgh is rated highly and the the new Glasgow TCA sounds awesome though have no first hand reports

Deffo don't worry about its being too warm lol
 sheppy 28 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro:
Well worth a visit. Good setting and plenty to go at. Comments about being small are being addressed at the moment with a huge new bouldering facility being built downstairs.
Grading is a bit tougher than Ratho, Glasgow or Transition Extreme but don't let that put you off! All in all a good friendly crowd.
 SonyaD 28 Oct 2011
In reply to i.munro: Definitely pop in if you are in the area anyway. I'm biased as it's my local wall but I find that even though it's a small area, it packs a lot in! If you're in during the afternoon it will be really quiet as well. I can spend a couple of hours bouldering and try some hard things as well as doing 4x4's, finishing off on the campus board (with feet on cos I'm crap :oD ) and I'll leave with my arms and hands utterly trashed. There's a good variety of problems and some of them are NAILS.
i.munro 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Thanks for all the replies. Managed to get down there for a brief session & really enjoyed it.
The bouldering area is a little cramped but the setting was good. Thanks also to the guys there who showed me some problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...