UKC

Guidebook for Cogne ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 01 Dec 2011
Whats the best guidebook for the Cogne area ice routes and is there one in English ?
In reply to nk:
I think the only one easily available in the UK is Cascades autour du Mont Blanc Volume 2 - which is in French.
 smithaldo 01 Dec 2011
In reply to nk: 500 best ice falls in the alps will keep you busy for a weeks worth of climbing, (hard on the ego re grades though!) it has the classics but no more, but on a plus has loads and loads and loads of other areas too so as a first ice guide book to have handy in the loo before you trip it is very good.

expensive though
as stephen says, autour du mont blanc is the main one available
there are probs some italian guides to the area, but you dont often (ever) see them in england.
OP Nadir khan 01 Dec 2011
In reply to smithaldo: Thanks guys , already have the best alpine ice guide , and have ordered the autour mont blanc ii for more detail . we're heading out in jan so hopefully will have some good pics of the trip
 Hay 02 Dec 2011
In reply to nk:
There is a map available that shows lots of routes that are not in the Cascades book. I picked one up from here:
http://www.nigritelles.com/nitalian.html
 Doug 02 Dec 2011
In reply to Hay: Probably the same as one I picked up in the tourist info office in the centre of Cogne
 nightmonkeyuk 02 Dec 2011
In reply to Doug:
sorry to hijack - but what does it tend to be like early feb round there, particularly Valeille Rive Droite?
 The Grist 02 Dec 2011
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: I have been early feb maybe 4 or 5 times and conditions are generally superb at that time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...