UKC

Cam reslinging: will wild country resling other brands of cam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 13 Dec 2011
...or if not, is there anywhere in the uk that will? Cams are <5 years old.
OP Stone Muppet 13 Dec 2011
Er, actually I mean less than 10 years old doh
 Monk 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet:

I know that both DMM and WC will resling their own cams here in the UK. BD can be sent off to the states for reslinging. Other than that, I am not aware of any other services.
 mlmatt 13 Dec 2011

Yes, it's called 5.5mm Dyneema cord tied with a triple fishermans knot.

It has the bonus of giving your cams the "retro" look too (if you're into that sort of thing).

On a serious note I don't think that WC will do other companies cams, probably for legal reasons. I also don't know if there is company in the UKC that'll provide a reslinging service. You could always phone or e-mail WC for a more definitive answer:

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/about-us/customer-services/
Tried the dyneema, it's rubbish. Before anyone else posts such techniques I have read the threads on doing the job myself and decided I'd rather have proper sewn slings if possible.

I did email WC, a while back, they didn't reply hence this thread.
 Monk 13 Dec 2011

What brand is the cam?

I also don't like the bulk of knotted cord so another option (which I did with my Rockcentrics) is to cut the slings off, sell them on at a cheap rate to someone who doesn't mind cord and replace with new ones.
In reply to Monk: Various brands, though most are the budget variety rock&run used to make.
 Monk 13 Dec 2011

Tricky. I don't think that any of the big manufacturers will touch anyone else's gear. It's annoying as, as far as I can make out, the R+R cams are the pre-cam stop era WC tech friends and were probably made in DMM's factory. It might be worth asking DMM, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
I dropped them an email, let's see what they say.
 54ms 13 Dec 2011
It's a pain that's it hard to do in the UK. Looking at climbing.com, in the states there are third parties that will do it for you.

Much as I like Black Diamond, I think that any future cams I buy will be British for this reason.
 Ben1983 13 Dec 2011
I had to retire a whole rack of HB cams for this reason. I could have tied them all off with Dyneema, but at some point I heard that this would actually make the gear quite weak. I have no clue as to the truth of that, but it would have meant that I doubted every placement - not good! Sadly, there just isn`t a good solution, and I loved the HB quadcams.
 petellis 13 Dec 2011

I've had a R&R single stem cam (old spec WC Friend type) re-slung by wild country. They run the same batch code system as on WC branded stuff so they will know the age.
 Wild Country 18 Dec 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet: If these are R+R Friends and are less than 10 years old we should be able to resling them for you. Go to this page and read about what you have to do....
http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/about-us/customer-services/friend-repairs/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...