UKC

Parkrun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 31 Dec 2011
Just done my first Parkrun
The first time running for many months, but I need to get fit as I have entered the fleet half marathon again.
Due to a running late (no pun intended) I didn't have time to walk the mile from where I had parked for my warm up so I had to run to the start, got there just as the horn sounded, am knackered now. Can't wait to see my time.
Anyone else do Parkrun, what times do you do?
 rossowen 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: Park Run - check. First one for a while and it was muddy. Did about 24 mins which is ok for me.
 nniff 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Gave it a miss this morning - still feeling a bit off from the cold which prevented last Saturday's run too.

Usually finish in 23:something

PB is 22:57

Banstead Woods is my local
 dread-i 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
Just did my first one as well. Went out too fast, but found a pace and really enjoyed it. I usually do long distance at an easy pace, so a bit of competition was welcome.

Here's a url, just in case people think we are all running around the same park
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
OP DreadyCraig 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I was running at Frimley Lodge.
32 mins. bit slow, but not bad considering. Something to improve on.
 steelbru 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I was volunteering today, as I'm injured at the moment, PB is 19:37
They're a great event.
 hokkyokusei 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I just started doing Bradford Parkrun. My best time is 24:38, though only ~26 today.
 Liam M 31 Dec 2011
In reply to hokkyokusei: I also did Bradford this morning, though stopped due to gut issues. I normally run Roundhay Park, though have also done Leeds Hyde Park, Pontefract, Worcester, Leamington Spa, Pennington Flash and should be doing a special New Year one at Huddersfield tomorrow.

I really like them and run them most Saturdays if I've nothing else on. I've a pb from last summer of 20.13 from Worcester, though have a habit of getting out of race mode with them and volunteering instead - I should race them hard more often as they're really good speed work, especially Roundhay which is basically a set of longish hill reps.
 The New NickB 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I do Heaton Park and South Manchester every so often, PB at South Manchester is 19:04, a little slower at Heaton Park.
 Uluru 31 Dec 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: I do the local one in Bristol. 2.5km straight up the hill in Ashton Court then downhill all the way back. It definitely wakes you up on a Saturday morning.

My best time is just under 24 and a half minutes. I'm aiming on improving this in 2012.
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I have only done two, and will only do them infrequently due to other priorities (interests and commitments), however l do really enjoy them. I like the community spirit, but also the fact that it is local and doesn't dig into the weekend too much. It is never going to be convenient for everyone. Relatively short distance 'sprints' does however have both pros and cons for longer races, such as half marathons. Answering your question, my last run l achieved just shy of 22mins (Swindon).
 Phil1919 07 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig: What exactly are they?
 Darkskys 07 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig: This look like a great idea...cheers for the link
 Fiona Reid 07 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I did my first on Christmas Eve. I hill walk/ bike a lot but had never run any further than after a bus prior to doing the Parkrun.

The first couple of km were fine, the 3rd got a bit harder but I thought I was going to die/puke during the last km. Still I managed to run the entire thing finishing in 26.59. My legs seized up minutes after stopping and I couldn't walk properly for 4 days so I'm not sure whether I should have another go!
 Liam M 07 Jan 2012
In reply to Fiona Reid: If you enjoyed it, give it another go, but possibly have a look at some beginner running programs to work out how to build up and not trash yourself as much in future events.

I did the trial event for Harrogate parkrun this morning. With York starting next week there are a huge number of events close to me now.
 Fiona Reid 09 Jan 2012
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to Fiona Reid) If you enjoyed it, give it another go, but possibly have a look at some beginner running programs to work out how to build up and not trash yourself as much in future events.

Thanks

My brother is quite a decent runner (sub 20m 5k) and gave me a long lecture as to my stupidity, lack of preparation, stretching etc. I mostly did the run to prove to him that despite me just bimbling up hills/ cycling I wasn't quite as unfit as he thought I was - I succeeded.

Despite feeling like I was going to die, I did actually quite enjoy it so might have another go at some point.
 The New NickB 09 Jan 2012
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Unless you have underlying health issues, you are unlikely to do much harm to yourself running a 5k. I rarely stretch and have run 18:29 for 5k.

One of the tricks of racing rather than just running, is working out how much it should hurt, the answer to that question is quite a lot.
Wonko The Sane 14 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig: I thought about giving the Hampstead one a go this weekend, though I'd be Damn slow. Got put off though seeing the winner on the new years eve one did it in 18.25!!! Mind you he is a pro, and actually the following week a bloke did it in 17 something, so guessing he was knackered from the night before or something.
OP DreadyCraig 14 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:
Well my second parkrun and have got a bit faster to 29.55
I know I can go faster than this but am too worried about burning myself out. Maybe I just need to face the pain and go for it
jjmacewan 14 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Nice one. I'm sure you'll get a lot faster, just keep at it and don't worry about burning out, the pain is only temporary as someone once said!

I've done a couple at Falkirk, 20.14 my pb, as I reckon I'm a stone over 'racing weight' I know I could and should be doing faster. Just need to stop being a greedy b*****d!
 Liam M 14 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> (In reply to DreadyCraig)
> Well my second parkrun and have got a bit faster to 29.55
> I know I can go faster than this but am too worried about burning myself out. Maybe I just need to face the pain and go for it

5k is a nasty distance for the reason that as soon as you become comfortable with reasonable distance, anything so short feels like a painfully fast sprint. Not unsurprisingly most people rely on the tactic go out hard and try to hold on and not completely blow up!
OP DreadyCraig 28 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:
26.03 today, a new PB!
 Mark Torrance 28 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Congratulations! 5k is a scary distance (in my limited experience).
 hokkyokusei 28 Jan 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Well done. I'm still crook from my hernia op so was marshalling today. Big turnout at Bradford today - 135.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...