UKC

Its Back! Fantasy Cycling 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Swirly 06 Jan 2012
Starting with the TDU.

http://fantasy.road.cc
In reply to Swirly:

Sneck Lifters ride again
 Graham T 07 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly:
Have made a UKC league
Ref No is 75423
 BelleVedere 07 Jan 2012
In reply to Graham T:

I'm in!

will try to stay focused this year (and might even manage to be in electronic contact)
 Graham T 07 Jan 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

I'm expecting to be determindly mid table again this year
 jayme 07 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly: I hope to achieve mid table mediocraty by the Giro and then fall into a relegation dog fight by the end of the Vuelta.
 Graham T 08 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly:
Bump for anyone else interested
fxceltic 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly: in
OP Swirly 16 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly: bump as it starts tonight.
In reply to Swirly:

The usual suspects are battling for the podium already.
fxceltic 18 Jan 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: yes indeed... after a tight start between us I have drawn clear on stage 2.
In reply to fxceltic:

Slight miscalculation there -- I didn't expect the true sprinters to be to the fore. The solo stage winner and the peloton finishing as a bunch did not upset the GC as much as I'd hoped.
 balmybaldwin 18 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly:

Any TV coverage you know of?
 alan wilson 18 Jan 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: I am offshore and Sky Sports had a half hour show on at 1830 tonight, it may be repeated at other times of course.
fxceltic 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: brilliant day for you yesterday!
In reply to fxceltic:

You're not doing to bad yourself. Here's hoping it's not a fluke.
Gotta watch that Strathlubnaig team -- things are tight at the top.

Will stage 4 end in a bunch gallop, or will it shake up the GC?

Stage 5 will almost certainly not be another stage for the Sprinters.

Have fun.
fxceltic 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: hhmm, when i logged on and saw my score i was delighted and then saw i'd dropped to 3rd, couldnt believe it!

Ive gone for bunch sprint in stage 4, but hedged towards tomorrow as well.
strathlubnaig 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Swirly: After having my 4 star riders come in the top 5 yesterday I will leave things as they are for now, couple minor domestique changes only. I was surprised.
fxceltic 20 Jan 2012
In reply to strathlubnaig: very average day for me yesterday, but still moved up a spot, behind our new surprise leader...

Couple of misjudgements, I removed Benatti for yesterdays stage, annoying in the extreme.
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to strathlubnaig) very average day for me yesterday, but still moved up a spot, behind our new surprise leader...
>

I slipped up a bit as well -- but where did he come from?
 TDembrey 20 Jan 2012
In reply to fxceltic: That would be me.

Got very lucky on day 2 with Clarke. Had Friere from day 1, wasn't expecting him to come good yesterday.

Not sure how Im going to fare on this stage.
In reply to TDembrey:

Well done Todd.

Congrats also to FX & TA on your podium places at the TDU

6 stages down and only another 92 to go!

Roll on Paris - Nice.
 Rich Kay 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Thanks,Tony's involvement in the team seems to be working!
In reply to Swirly:

Due to popular demand, two events have been added during February to stop people suffering from withdrawal symptoms before the European season kicks off with Paris-Nice at the beginning of March.

Tour of Qatar - 5-10 Feb
Tour of Oman - 14-19 Feb

For those who took part last year but have not joined the UKC league this time round, the user interface is much friendlier, and with more info available.
RhysB 07 Feb 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: For those that are interested they have now added an overall league for ukc as well, so you can can see how you are you are doing in total as well as just the current tour
 Graham T 07 Feb 2012
In reply to RhysB:

Holiday screwed up my tour of qatar selections have only managed to get 7 team members so far.
fxceltic 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Graham T: Im currently ballsing up my selections for the TOQ, having taken cav out due to his illness, couldnt get him back in, missed out yesterday on his win, then got him in today by taking out cancellara, and fabian then steams home in 3rd with cav missing the break.

brilliant.
OP Swirly 08 Feb 2012
In reply to fxceltic: mu ToQ was buggered by my initial team not saving. Kind of gave up after that.
In reply to fxceltic:
My stage scores are up and down like the proverbial whore's drawers.

I've not selected Farrar once - but am pleased to have Boonen on my team. Shame about Adam Blythe puncturing in the last couple of km -- he could certainly have helped my cause.

There's always tomorrow -- Hey-ho!

If you didn't see it it's too late now! - Stage over. All of the stages seem to be finishing a bit quicker than the TV schedule.
 link 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Swirly:

Disastrous first stage in Oman for me
In reply to link:

I slipped up as well -- though I think I've fared a bit better on stage 2
fxceltic 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: oi starkness, have you been copying my team??

all change this year inm the UKC league, entertaining stuff so far, not sure whats wrong with Cav in the Tour of Oman though, can he still be suffering from his fall at the weekend?
In reply to fxceltic:
Fxsake -- I never look at anyone elses team.

Sky seem to have an issue with Cav's leadout train -- not enough horsepower to control things at the front and as a result Cav has to fight for position at every sprint. Cav got 'hampered' by a Katusha rider and had to unclip to avoid crashing on Stage 1 --and todays stage didn't suit him the last few km were a steady drag, so doubtless he's saving himself for another day. The big question is do I keep him in or do I drop him.
fxceltic 15 Feb 2012
> (In reply to fxceltic)
> Fxsake -- I never look at anyone elses team.
>
> Sky seem to have an issue with Cav's leadout train -- not enough horsepower to control things at the front and as a result Cav has to fight for position at every sprint. Cav got 'hampered' by a Katusha rider and had to unclip to avoid crashing on Stage 1 --and todays stage didn't suit him the last few km were a steady drag, so doubtless he's saving himself for another day. The big question is do I keep him in or do I drop him.

Was just kidding about your team, though they were virtually identical!

wondering about same thing re cav fopr tomorrow

In reply to fxceltic:

Unfortunately I never got to visit Oman (properly) during my time in the middle east so am not familiar with the terrain for the finishes. However any finishes near dams in wadi's generally involve a bit of uphill! Today's finish was on the way to a well known climbing venue that plenty of my mates have visited.

The profiles on the ASO site seem a little misleading when you compare them to readings on Google Earth.
RhysB 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: mm very poor form so far, think i will keep faith in the team tomorrow, hoping for another sprint stage at that cav might get a bit of luck.

I loading my team with sprinters for the first 3 stages with plans to change out four tomorrow, it seems to have not worked so far though
fxceltic 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: did you keep Cav in? last few Ks and Sky are catching the breakers, Suttons going to lead out Cav.
fxceltic 16 Feb 2012
In reply to fxceltic: kittel wins, tedious
fxceltic 16 Feb 2012
In reply to fxceltic: still 173 points on the day, not bad, though I suspect some people will have got better
fxceltic 16 Feb 2012
In reply to fxceltic: sure enough top score on the day was over 210, though I think I have now taken the UKC overall lead due to a terrible day for templeton and an average one for starkers.

Back where I belong.
 link 16 Feb 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

160 for me. Helps a bit but this is still a dreadful tour. Moved up to 5th in the UKC league overall though
fxceltic 16 Feb 2012
In reply to link: Im consistently disadvantaged by refusing to pick tyler farrar in favour of Cav, annoying.

not sure how the team will fare tomorrow, it seems a rolling stage...
 AlisonSmiles 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Swirly:

I joined up yesterday; I like that it lets you start in the middle of a tour!
fxceltic 05 Mar 2012
In reply to AlisonSmiles: disastrous day yesterday, managed to get Martin and Wiggins in, but paid a massive price as the weather closed in and Martin laboured to a zero point score. Porte and Phinney also underperformed.

Doubley annoying as I ummed and ahhed for days beforehand making numerous changes. My original team had Gretsch, leipheimer and Taaramae in, but I took them all out for "guaranteed" top 2 with Wiggins and Martin.

Having gambled heavily on scoring weel in the TT and failing, I am now going to have a fairly crappy day in the predicted sprint today.
In reply to fxceltic:

From our points score - I guess we picked the same TT 'Bankers' yesterday. Disaterville.

Leipheimer was supposed to have been ill coming off Langkawi so I didn't pick him either, and Larsson was right off my radar.

Hopefully my sprinters will perform today.
 link 05 Mar 2012

I took a gamble on Larsson and it payed off. Also had Wiggins, Martin and Porte and was expecting the latter two to do much better. Got Boonen & Haussler in for todays stage
fxceltic 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly: starkers, we appear to have an identical team, great minds and all that...

a better day today, lets see what tomorrow brings.
 Rich Kay 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly:
Got rid of Leipheimer and Larson from my starting lineup about 2 hours before the start on Sunday......gutted.
Boonen scored a few for me today,but I'm still miles off the pace.
strathlubnaig 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly: Good Lord, I seem to have made some flukey selections !
In reply to strathlubnaig:

And I slipped up spectacularly on a couple of stages.
fxceltic 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Westra bailed you out mate...

big day today
In reply to fxceltic:

It certainly was
strathlubnaig 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Aye, nae bad at a'
fxceltic 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: ive had a mare, to be fair.

I put in lulu sanchez for stage 5, he bombed so i took him out for stage 6, when he stormed off into the sunset for the win, great...

then I think for stage 7 I'll stick in taaramae and de gendt to be ready for the timetrial in stage 8, then think better to put them in on sunday instead as they will be bound to be resting on stage 7 with their sights on the timetrial stage win, much more likely...
They then proceed to storm off together for 1st and 2nd on stage 7

I would, I think its fair to say, have struggled to have any worse luck over those 2 stages.

Its totally screwed me in the overall for the season! Going to struggle to haul you back now, though its possible to drag points back in the classics as they can be a bit random.
In reply to fxceltic:

It's a long season and there's a lot of points to play for in the classics -- but they are a bit of a lottery. The early season races give a few hints as to form -- but no-one is the stand out favourite for Milan San Remo. It's a long race and if some of the 'all rounders' set a hard pace, I see Cav struggling over the Cipressa and Poggio. If he gets over the final sharp climbs in the leading group he'd be hard to bet against -- but you've got to watch for the likes of Cancellara taking a flyer off the front with 5k to go!.
fxceltic 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: a very magnanimous response!
 JLS 12 Mar 2012

Looks like the bookies fancy Cav. I'd have though Boonen would have been shorter that 18/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/milan---san-remo
In reply to JLS:

The bookies odds mostly reflect the amount of money bet- and how much they stand to lose if one of the favourites wins. It's probably easier picking the Derby winner!
fxceltic 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly: have the teams for milan - san remo been announced yet?
fxceltic 15 Mar 2012
In reply to fxceltic: currently tying myself up in knots over selection for saturday.

To Cav or not to Cav? Aaaargh.
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to fxceltic) currently tying myself up in knots over selection for saturday.
>
> To Cav or not to Cav?

That is the 50 point question.

It's all about whether he can get over the Cipressa and Poggio in the lead group -- it's going to be a fascinating finale. Will Spartacus be able to take off on his own? Who knows?

Have fun.
fxceltic 16 Mar 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Ive made something like 25 transfers already, its essential that I get it right and you get it wrong.

Youre sounding increasingly smug since last week!!
strathlubnaig 16 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly: This really is a hard race to predict, I have swapped my MSR team numerous times already, need to make a proper decision soon. The Cav thing really is the question. Toss a coin.
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)

> Youre sounding increasingly smug since last week!!

No more than usual for a Skoda Octavia driver.

In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness) ...... its essential that I get it right and you get it wrong.
>
My thoughts exactly -- ;-p
fxceltic 17 Mar 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: who did you go with?

i dropped cav, thank god
 Alan Taylor 17 Mar 2012
In reply to fxceltic: I kept him
fxceltic 17 Mar 2012
In reply to Alan Taylor: I had 3 of the top 10 in the end, only boonen missed out for my star riders.
In reply to fxceltic:
Kept Cav and Eddie Boss - transferred Gerrans out 2 days ago and didn't keep a Greenedge domestique! I'd also variously picked and transferred out 2 of the of the riders who were in the long break. Glad I stuck with Sagan and Friere -- at least I didn't get nil points. Hey Ho!
 Graham T 17 Mar 2012
Well that sucked, thought about gerrans the decided not to.
5 points from that one
strathlubnaig 18 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly: That sucked right enough, finally went with the sheep mentality and put cavendish in, took out sagan. Dang. Got #2 and #7 only.
fxceltic 26 Mar 2012
In reply to Swirly: a sweet victory over the weekend for me...
In reply to fxceltic:

The boy done good -- I only managed 1st 4th 5th 13th and a team counter. Should have gone for Sagan instead of Spartacus.

Roll on Flanders
 Rich Kay 06 Apr 2012
Who would you choose as your final star rider on sunday,Hushovd or Pozzato?
In reply to Swirly:

My team selection for the Amstel Gold was as potent as Amstel Light (aka 'Lovemaking in a Canoe' beer and that's f'king close to water) -- however it was not too disastrous as many other UKC contenders seemed to have been drinking the stuff.

Here's hoping I guess right for the 'Fleche' and La Doyenne this week.

Still there's only a couple of weeks to go until the Giro and a chance to start picking up some steady points again.
In reply to Swirly:

Fleche Wallone today -- good luck everyone.

I made the mistake of picking my team on Monday, and am now down to 7 riders and no available transfers due to late withdrawals by Sammy Sanchez and a domestique.

Here's hoping my other selections do better than they did on Sunday in the Amstel!
 Rich Kay 22 Apr 2012
Top of the UKC Spring Classics League?!
Bring on the Giro
In reply to Swirly:

Despite my fairly disastrous performance in the classics, by some perverse twist of fate, i've actually consolidated my lead in the overall.

Bring on the Giro!
fxceltic 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: hmm a patchy set of classics from me, compounded by a 2 week trip to the US where I had minimal internet access.

Some 200+ points down on the overall and struggling to get that back now I think...

I left Jrod in for the LBL against my better judgement having almost switched him for Nibali, and he didnt fail to disapoint in LBL once again.
Also, having ignored Gilbert for the whole season so far but watched him gradually improve, I switched out Sanchez for him, only for his recent better form to evaporate and Sanchez to pull in a top 10. Great.

playing for individual competition honours now I reckon.
In reply to Swirly:
OK then -- who's going premium ?

There's another 53 stages available
Amgen Tour of California
Tour de Suisse
Tour de Pologne
Eneco Tour
USA Pro Cycling Challenge
GP Cycliste Quebec/Montréal
Tour of Britain
Tour of Beijing

The snag is you have to pay for it -- £10 (or £7 if you sign up before 5th May)

Can anyone else be arsed with the extra races -- or is this a must for the seriously addicted with too much time on their hands for their own good!
fxceltic 05 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: im tempted but i cant justify the time, especially where there is overlap in races

how have you fared today? Ive got 7 of the top 9 (so far but it doesnt look liken that will change now)

my other 2 were not picked for todays stage really so should give me an advantage tomorrow

In reply to fxceltic:

Bloody well done.

I could only manage 1,2,3,5 so got a decent few points myself.

Just made my 2 transfers for tomorrow, so barring crashes or big splits due to crosswinds should pick up a few more points in the next couple of days.
fxceltic 06 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: I've had to go premium or else you can't win the prizes!
fxceltic 09 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: some surprising results today...

didnt see Astana or Katusha doing that well, so I was sheep like and went mainly with garmin, greenedge, BMC and Sky

annoying.
fxceltic 10 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: another great finish today, well done cav
 link 10 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

I was hoping for more from Farrar, I picked him over Goss...oops. Still, got results from Cav!
fxceltic 10 May 2012
In reply to link: I had goss, cav, hunter and farrar, so was only let down by tyler in the end
fxceltic 10 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: 142 points on the day, not too bad
 Rich Kay 10 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
Getting it all wrong at the minute,'roll on' the lumpy stuff.
fxceltic 11 May 2012
In reply to Templeton Adams: todays a hard stage to call. Having been set up for yesterdays sprint I have had to hedge my bets a bit with my two transfers.

Medium mountain stages are always a difficult one to predict.
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to Templeton Adams) I have had to hedge my bets a bit with my two transfers.

You and me both!

> Medium mountain stages are always a difficult one to predict.

I think we'll all need a spot of luck.

fxceltic 11 May 2012
> (In reply to fxceltic)
> [...]
>
> You and me both!
>
> [...]
>
> I think we'll all need a spot of luck.

Ha, who did you go with in the end? i took out Farrar for Lastras Garcia and Phinney for Cataldo

the obvious choice was Pozatto I think, but for some reason i cant explain I didnt go for him.

fxceltic 11 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: true to form Lastras has gone in the break, hes now a good bet for the stage if the group stays away

no challengers for the overall in the break either really so good chance it will stay away
In reply to fxceltic:

Took out Cav and replaced him with Goss as I reckon Gossy has a better chance of getting over todays climbs should it end in a sprint. Dropped one of my domestiques and brought in Van De Velde as I hope he'll move up GC a few spots as sprinters drop down the GC. I'm saving a few transfer points for later in the week.
fxceltic 11 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: gaps down to 6 mins about halfway thru the stage, hard to know if it will stay away now.

should ok in either case as I still have plenty of sprinters in, including cav, gossy and hunter
fxceltic 11 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: Lastras has fallen, aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!
fxceltic 11 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: hes abandoned with suspected broken collar bone, tedious, hes a classy attacking rider apart from the fact hes in my team.

should see a bunch sprint now.
In reply to fxceltic:

That went well for the Sneck Lifters today

NOT!
fxceltic 11 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: indeed, absolutely effing horrific.
strathlubnaig 11 May 2012
In reply to Swirly: This is not going so well. Thankfully I had Pozatto and Hejsedal today.
I loathe sky, and normally avoid them all, but cavendouche was going well, so in he went then he crashed argh.... never again.
I will stick with Goss and such for sprints.
Really cannot make my mind up on this tour at all.
OP Swirly 12 May 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: complete reshuffle after that disaster.
OP Swirly 19 May 2012
In reply to Swirly: so last night I dropped Amador and Hejsedal.
In reply to Swirly:

Dauphine Prologue - not a spoiler, honest, -- but Sneck Lifters had 1,2,5,6 and possibly a couple of more in the top 20.
fxceltic 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: well done on the prologue results, but youre in trouble now...
In reply to fxceltic:

In deep doodoos indeedy -- though hopefully I've stopped the rot.

Sods law now dictates that Eddie Boss will win todays stage from a 10 man breakaway and take yellow, other riders in the break will fill the top 10 on GC, and Cadel will puncture twice in the last 10km as the bunch is going 'full bore' !
OP Swirly 06 Jun 2012
> Cadel will puncture twice in the last 10km as the bunch is going 'full bore' !

I hope for that in every race.

I did a team for this one but haven't bothered changing it. I kind of gave up in a fit of pique after the second stage of the TDU when my changes didn't register. This was probably user error looking back!

Still doing the grand tours though.

fxceltic 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Ive kept eddy in for today, him and degenkolb my hopes for the stage

I "should" also be reasonably set for the time trial too, though Im sure Ive said that before and been hopelessly wrong...

Cant get Cadel in though, possibly an issue as hes clearly going well at the minute.
OP Swirly 06 Jun 2012

> Sods law now dictates that Eddie Boss will win todays stage

In reply to Swirly:

Fortunately I didn't need Eddie Boss, as my other sprint choices picked up good points.

Can I do as well in the time trial without Tony Martin? I expect the GC will have a fairly vigorous shake up.
fxceltic 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: well done yesterday you picked up a good smattering of high finishers!

I on the other hand got totally bummed by Degenkolbs puncture 2ks from the finish...

My TT line up is good though I think, a lot hinges on one particular selection that could make or break my CdD. I ummed and ahhed for ages before dropping EBH for today to get Tony Martin in, cos EBH came 3rd in this distance TT in last years race.

You are definitely right about a big GC shakeup today though.

theres 15 points between us in the overall, mentally small gap when you consider weve got nearly 5500 points!
In reply to fxceltic:
>
> theres 15 points between us in the overall, mentally small gap when you consider weve got nearly 5500 points!

It only goes to prove we're just as 'mental' as each other -- or just a 'sad'

No Martin for me -- but in case he wins I've got a backup OPQ domestique for team points.

fxceltic 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Ive got Martin, wiggins, froome, brajkovic, durbridge, then the 4 DS I couldnt do much about, one of whom I wanted to keep as hes a good climber, bearing in mind whats coming up...

my vote goes for "sad" by the way.
In reply to fxceltic:

At least I'll be able to watch it live with English commentary today as Eurosport is only devoting one channel to screetchy women thumping a yellow ball in Paris this arvo -- unless Lady Starkness has got other plans .....

Unless the weather takes a real turn for the worse it looks as though I could be riding our club 10 tonight, as the predicted monsoon and tempest has not reached central lancashire - YET. -- I can but live in hope as a really slow time is on the cards if the weather stays as it is - damp and breezy.
fxceltic 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Swirly: what a stage! incredible scenes.
fxceltic 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: how was the club 10?

who'd you stick in today?
In reply to fxceltic:

I wimped out -- only 8 people were daft enough to turn out in the wind and rain. If I'd ridden I'd have done about as well as my selections in todays stage -- the only thing I did right was swapping Froome in for Millar. Durbridge was a DNS, so that's limited my options for todays transfer window.

To be honest I was surprised that Martin and Rogers got over todays HC climb in the main group -- I was expecting them to drop down GC a bit -- hopefully they'll fare less well tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to do better with my Tour de Suisse selections.
 Graham Mck 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Swirly: Is this league still up and running for TdF? Do I have to pay and go premium to join? Not logged in for a couple of months and the UKC league does not appear to have any members!
In reply to Graham Mck:
TDF is free, so you should be OK. I can only see myself in the overall league at the moment, but most of the usual UKC suspects are in there.

I'm not visible in UKC or my other leagues but expect to see them soon.

Allez Allez Allez!
fxceltic 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Graham Mck: dont think you can win the main prize without going premium though, just the daily stage prizes.
 Graham Mck 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: Cheers. Suspect we will only see UKC league once it gets underway.

Now team? Wiggo check, Cav check Hesjedal check, Cancellara....oh sod it ran out of credit :0
fxceltic 27 Jun 2012
In reply to Swirly: So, my team is set, lets go! hoping for a big first day in the prologue, been unsure how to set up, go for a big day or try to get back to back decent days?

tough call.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...