UKC

Easy Lake District scramble for a newbie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 15 Jan 2012
As above.....what is a good easy grade one scramble to take a newbie out on in the Lake District?

Took the missus up to Langdale on Saturday and even though she did not do a scramble she loved the day out and wants to try an easy scramble.

Any suggestions.....preferably not with a huge walk in.

Cheers,

AT
 Kelcat 15 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Jacks Rake, job done
 Brass Nipples 15 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Intake ridge
 Ramblin dave 15 Jan 2012
In reply to Kelcat:
> (In reply to An Triubhas) Jacks Rake, job done

This.

It's worth it for the look on their face when you get to Stickle Tarn, point at Pavey Ark and say "right, next we're going up the middle of that..."
 Mr-Cowdrey 15 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: i second jacks rake brilliant little scrammble, amazing views (on a good day) and a nice amount of exposure. I'd also recommend Sharp Edge on Blencathra Intake ridge is a grade 3, but a nice one at that. Pinnacle ridge on the other hand is possibly one of the best scrammbles i have done. Again, goes at grade 3. Something to consider for future trips
OP AdCo82 15 Jan 2012
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Would like somewhere different than Langdale so she can see somewhere different than that area of the Lakes.

Definately need to stay away from grade 3 for now. I am after a grade I route that will ease her in without too much exposure.

Ta!!!!!
 Mr-Cowdrey 15 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: i dare say it, but... Striding edge and swiral edge on Helvelyn will be a good introduction. Or if you are confident and safe, make up your own scramble off the beaten track try around the coniston area. Park at the walna scar car park, and make your way up and over the bell, and then continue along the top path to a slate slag heap, follow this round untill you come across an old quarry buikding and follow the pipe line up to low water beck. Finish the day off by summiting the old man then decend via Dow crag just a suggestion.
 GrahamD 16 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Jacks Rake, but if you have someone who is not confident - watch out for the ice at the top ! Otherwise the traverse of Crinkle Crags is an easy scramble (but also a bit of a walk)
 Skyfall 16 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

How about Sharp Edge on Blencathra. Much shorther walk than the other well known scrambles of Jack's Rake and Striding Edge.

Failing that, why not do a very easy climb (barely more than a scramble) such as Middlefell Buttress (just start around on the left not the right), which shouldn't be too scary roped up properly.
 dan bulman 16 Jan 2012
try halls fell ridge on blencathra. you can see it from the main road, ends right on the summit and most of its avoidable. grade 1. you could look down sharp edge for next time out.
some tricky routes mentioned above, your right to be cautious as it can easily put people off doing things out their comfort zone. my brother crapped himself on jacks rake, and it out him off for ages.
 Rog Wilko 16 Jan 2012
In reply to dan bulman: I agree with you, Dan. Jack's Rake has one particularly dangerous and frightening point on it if you've very little experience, and same with Sharp Edge - if it's not bone dry it's tricky. You want the novice to be saying "I'd love to do that again tomorrow" rather than "I never want to be that scared again".
 Skyfall 16 Jan 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I agree except that, with the exception of Halls Fell Ridge (barely a scramble really!), all of the classic Lakes scrambles have hairy sections particularly when icy. I was sort of assuming the OP would be doing this in good conditions, not wet or icy which would push up the grade of any scramble or climb!
 Wesley Orvis 16 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Long Crag is great, it's just out of the village of Coniston on what would be the lower slopes of Wetherlam, it's the first crag on the right just as you head up the coppermines valley, done it 3 times and never seen anybody else on it once, not as commiting as Jacks Rake or Sharp Edge and much more escapeable if they don't like it, especially for a first timer
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
>
> Long Crag is great, it's just out of the village of Coniston on what would be the lower slopes of Wetherlam, it's the first crag on the right just as you head up the coppermines valley, done it 3 times and never seen anybody else on it once, not as commiting as Jacks Rake or Sharp Edge and much more escapeable if they don't like it, especially for a first timer

Agreed, but make sure you get the correct route. There are three scrambles on Long Crag, two of which are grade 2's with some exposure. The one you want is the Long Crag Buttress, nice easy but still good grade 1 scrambling with a non serious feel.
 tmawer 21 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Not really sure about the grading, but roadside and not Langdale, is The Ridge at Raven Crag Yewdale, Coniston. Could tie in with an explore of Cathedral Quarry and Hodge Close for some variety.
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Winter scrambles are not really for beginners. Rock stays damp, its a lot colder and ice and verglas is not uncommon. To deal with this just take a safety rope and a few runners for belays.
 Ramblin dave 21 Jan 2012
In reply to tmawer: The Ciccerone guide gave it grade 2, although it was about the first scramble I did above grade 1 and I would have believed it was grade 1. Nice scramble, anyway.
 Ramblin dave 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: Rereading the first post, it's not "easy grade one", though...
 Kelcat 21 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: for what the OP is after I think Sharp Edge is a bad recommendation, you're likely at this time of year to end up with a seriously frightened beginner who doesn't want to come out to play again!
If you're looking to avoid Great Langdale then I'd put in another vote for Hallsfell or maybe Weatherlam - Swirl Howe. A lot of people are sniffy about Striding Edge, but ultimatly its relatively safe, spectacular views &, importantly, it has a reputation to the uninitiated that will leave them with a real sense of achievement.
 LakesWinter 21 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: That Long Crag buttress in Coniston, the grade 1, is a good one. Also the Bell in Coniston is another pleasant grade 1. I'd stay off anything on slippery slate at this time of year. Also the exit of striding edge is covered in steep snow and probably will be until spring now
 Tiberius 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Kelcat:

> (In reply to An Triubhas) Jacks Rake, job done

It's certainly spectacular (Jakes Rake, not Jacks).

But the op did say preferably WITHOUT a big walk in...hardly applies here

Still, well worth it.
Etak 21 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: The bell is good and a very short walk in. Above coniston village having a total brain misfire about the place to park...... Fun scramble and easy to escape if needed
 Kelcat 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Tiberius: ermm pretty sure its still Jacks Rake, but I'm sure you've an explanation as to why I'd be wrong?
Can't speak for the OP or others but I'd consider the 60mins to it fairly easy walk in, my 9 yr old god daughter sang all the way there
 LakesWinter 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Etak: Park up the Walna Scar road for the Bell, easy, flat approach from there.

To the people above, it's Jack's Rake. Named after first ascencionist, Jack of Langdale, not 'Jake,' just coz it rhymes with 'rake'
 Stone Idle 24 Jan 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Hmm - the lovely Ms Idle has done both Jacks Rake and Sharp Edge - and needed a rope on both (and a good pull on the Rake as her little legs struggled with a biggish step at the start of the last bit, poised above a fair drop. Both are ok for beginners, but go suitably equipped or prepare for an epic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...