UKC

SCNL- its not in!- anybody had better luck?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 21 Jan 2012
walked up to scnl earlier today but all the buttresses are black, the turf wasn't frozen and there was water dripping in the gullys!!. saw a number of teams starting up chimney route and scabbard chimney that most certainly were not in acceptable winter nick!!. the temperature was much higher than forecast, has anyone had any better luck further east ?
 Milesy 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

Thanks for that. Don't feel so bad sitting here now. Looks like some high pressure and frost coming maybe this week. How is twisting filling up?
OP GraMc 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Milesy: I didnt have a proper look, but there were people climbing it, so presumably given a freeze it should be ok
 CurlyStevo 21 Jan 2012
glencoe can be very maritime, which can be in its favour for consolidation, looks to me that conditions are on the cusp of getting very good!
 Pids 21 Jan 2012
cheers, forecast for tomorrow not much better either, although less winds
hmm, worth it just in case or was it well black ?

Sorry but that's utter rubbish, we did twisting and dorsal arete and they were both in great winter nick. Buttresses are fairly black but turf was very much frozen where we were.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Somerset swede basher:
the aws is showing lower than -3 today on aonach mor so I thought the report odd.
OP GraMc 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Somerset swede basher: sorry yeh i should have mentioned that we did dorsal, which was in good nick however the steeper mixed routes very much were not, and SC gully was a pile of mush, the turf up high where it was exposed to the wind was frozen, but at the base of central buttress it defenatly wasn't, each to their own i suppose, overall it didn't feel like full winter conditions tho!
 Jamie B 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> Sorry but that's utter rubbish, we did twisting and dorsal arete and they were both in great winter nick. Buttresses are fairly black but turf was very much frozen where we were.

When was that? A lot can change in a day...

Jamie B 21 Jan 2012

> I should have mentioned that we did dorsal, which was in good nick however the steeper mixed routes very much were not, and SC gully was a pile of mush

No real surprises there; as always some things are in and some things aren't. Doesn't mean that you can write off the whole crag!
 pete123 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Ginger McGrath: At least you got a route in, we went up Snechda for a peek and it was also all black and not in Full Winter nick, Nothing steep anyway.
At least we have TCA.
OP GraMc 21 Jan 2012
In reply to pete123: yeh who needs rime when you have that much plastic eh..... did you get a look in to lochain at all?
OP GraMc 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: very true, that was me just having a rant after doing that slog of walk in and not finding much in nick, I should have made less generalized comments about the rest of the snow routes.
 pete123 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Ginger McGrath: Lochan was looking pretty black from the walk in and out. Soz not the info you wanted!!!!! I know.
 richardshoes 21 Jan 2012
We soloed Boomerang and a line on the front face. There was light wind slab, but nothing too disconcerting.
 Rick Ashton 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Ginger McGrath: I did savage slit today and it was comin into decent nick. Looked black from afar but horing up nicely, especially as the day went on. Number 3 buttress looked nice on the way down when we had finished. I can say it is certainly winter nick up there today. And if anyone got on and climbed I'm sure they'd agree
 Garbh Coire 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Rick Ashton: Lol. I was there today. 'Coming into' being the operative words... Each to there own of course!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...