UKC

A very scary climbing rope offer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mloskot 14 Feb 2012
Hi,

I have come across a very suspicious and dangerous offer of climbing rope in a non-climbing online shop and I thought I'll post about it to make beginners aware of that.

Here is screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/6874983309/

and the rope offered in the shop:

http://reeves-electronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product...
 Roberttaylor 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: What a bargain, I'll take three!
 Tommyads 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:
Thanks for letting me know, I need a new rope. Hope they can deliver it in time for the weekend!
 Simon Caldwell 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

What did they say when you contacted them about it?
 wilkie14c 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:
Is it an 8.5mm length of 10mm rope or a 10mm length of 8.5mm rope?
 mhawk 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: Have you tried leaving a review?
OP mloskot 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Toreador: I haven't contacted them. Why should I?
OP mloskot 14 Feb 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: No idea. It is also possible, it's 5mm thick 30m long rope (see desc).
 funsized 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

This seems ridiculously sketchy, I forwarded the link to the BMC.
 Steve John B 14 Feb 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Neither!

Main Feature:
5mm 30m climbing rope or packing rope for outdoors
 JH74 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

The site design looks really similar to a scam electronics one I saw and reported a few months ago.

The normal way for these guys to operate is to take you to a payment page and then be unable to process your details. Next thing you know there's strange stuff appearing on your credit card bill.

Could be wrong..

OP mloskot 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Tommyads: You're welcome mate. Shall I say, happy falls? I doubt, but in case you are going to go for it, don't forget to write review for UKC afterwards.
OP mloskot 14 Feb 2012
In reply to funsized: Thanks!

Folks, I really aimed to raise attention having beginners in mind.
It should be obvious for anyone with basic experience in climbing, this is not a climbing gear offer. So, save jokes.
 Monk 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

When I go to that page, my AV software highlights a risk and blocks a .jpg link. Looks dodgy to me.
 jkarran 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

> (In reply to Toreador) I haven't contacted them. Why should I?

For the same reason you saw fit to save and publish a screenshot then start a thread about it?

jk
 Simon Caldwell 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

> I haven't contacted them. Why should I?

because it would have been much quicker than taking the screenshot and starting this thread, and unless they chose to ignore you, much more effective in protecting people.
OP mloskot 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Toreador: Point taken. I've e-mailed the following message to support@reeves-electronics.co.uk

=======================================================================
Hi,

I have come across this offer in your shop:

8.5mm - 10mm Climbing and Packing Rope

http://reeves-electronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product...

Unless this is a genuine climbing rope with all necessary certificates
(CE, UIAA) attached, please, stop selling it as a climbing rope.

Someone can get killed.

FYI, I have raised attention of this suspicious offer in UK Climbing forum:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=494634
=======================================================================
Jimmybarr 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

"Optimally suitable for sportsclimbing, gym climbing, classical alpinism suitable for training/workout climbing, toprope climbing and packing"

Scary!
 Dauphin 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Jimmybarr:
> (In reply to mloskot)
>
> "Optimally suitable for sportsclimbing, gym climbing, classical alpinism suitable for training/workout climbing, toprope climbing and packing"
>
> Scary!

Also makes a great tow rope for the outrage bus.

D
 mypyrex 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: Also curious as to why an electronics retailer would be selling "climbing" rope.

mypyrex 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: With being melodramatic, could this not be reported to Trading Standards? I post this as a serious question.
 winhill 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

He's drop shipping, you can buy from the chinese for $7.12 (bit less in larger quantities).

Probably just uploaded the description off their website, he'll have no idea what it is, may hardly know it's on his site.
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to mloskot)
>
> He's drop shipping, you can buy from the chinese for $7.12 (bit less in larger quantities).
>
> Probably just uploaded the description off their website, he'll have no idea what it is, may hardly know it's on his site.

Doesn't make it any less illegal.
 Alan Breck 14 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: Scary stuff. Almost & I emphasise almost worth buying to see what it actually is. Can anyone sell any old rope as climbing rope or does it depend on what the end user uses it for. I.e. The retailer cannot control its use?
In reply to mloskot:

I wouldn't buy it; have you seen how frayed the ends are...?
 jimtitt 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Alan Breck:

All ropes sold in the EU as "climbing ropes" must conform to EN892 and bear this mark and the CE symbol to show conformity. Your local trading standards officer is responsible for enforcement.
OP mloskot 15 Feb 2012
FYI, I haven't received any response from Reeves Electronics.
Despite of the fact the company seem a real entity, as they put real address on their website.
 Chris Harris 15 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:
> FYI, I haven't received any response from Reeves Electronics.
> Despite of the fact the company seem a real entity, as they put real address on their website.

Google maps shows it to be a bog standard housing estate address, certainly not commercial premises.

ianstevens 15 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: All dodgy companies do that (not that this one necessarily is, but lets be honest, it probably is) to make themselves look more legit. Doesn't necessarily mean the company is set up there, has ever seen it or even been remotely near.
 mypyrex 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Chris Harris: Agreed. Just had a look on streetview.
In reply to mloskot:

I've emailed the company to find out if the rope meets EN892. If it doesn't, I'll contact my trading standards office.
 staceyjg 15 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

it now says 8.5mm climbing rope, no sign of 5mm. I tried posting a review, it goes off for review before appearing..... I doubt it will appear.
jim hughes 15 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: it only weighs 250gr, fast and light!
 PeterJuggler 15 Feb 2012
In reply to staceyjg: It still says 8.5mm at the top and 5mm in the description as it always did.
 Neil Williams 15 Feb 2012
In reply to PeterJuggler:

If it's down as 5mm I wonder if it's actually accessory cord of some sort...

Neil
 deepsoup 15 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:
Not really *that* scary is it? If it was more plausible it would be.
But this is so obviously not a proper climbing rope I just can't see anyone buying it and trying to use it unless they're so daft they'd just find some other way to hurt themselves anyway.
 PeterJuggler 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Neil Williams: I think the 5mm is just an error. They probably missed off the '8.'.
OP mloskot 15 Feb 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to mloskot)
> Not really *that* scary is it? If it was more plausible it would be.
> But this is so obviously not a proper climbing rope (...)

I have seen and heard variety of things at climbing walls, so I no longer
believe in omnipresent "obvious" knowledge and common sense.

Mind the gap.
 deepsoup 15 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:
> I no longer believe in omnipresent "obvious" knowledge and common sense.

I never did, but I do believe in the inalienable right of idiots to kill themselves. Nowt wrong with a little splash of bleach in the gene pool now and then.
OP mloskot 15 Feb 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to mloskot)
> [...]
>
> I never did, but I do believe in the inalienable right of
> idiots to kill themselves. Nowt wrong with a little splash of
> bleach in the gene pool now and then.

I do agree. Darwin's natural selection mechanism kicks in in such situations well.

But, I believe this is a bit different. I'd compare it to the situation when I collect my car from garage and I am told "mate, your breaks are sound like new". I take off and suddenly I end up on a big tree despite my foot is on break pedal and hits the floor.
 rallymania 16 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

well if you break your brakes you'll fill your breeks?

(ahem)
 lowersharpnose 16 Feb 2012
In reply to JH74:

I agree that it looks like a scam site.

http://whois.domaintools.com/reeves-electronics.co.uk

51 nethercote avenue is residential.

Streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=High+Line+Park,+529+West+20th+Street,+Suite+8...
 peetay 16 Feb 2012
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to mloskot)
>
> I wouldn't buy it; have you seen how frayed the ends are...?

I quite like the colour.
Parrys_apprentice 16 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

"someone can get killed"

great email.
 Jack_F 16 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot: Its probably not as bad as one of the ropes I'm using atm .
In reply to mloskot: Anyone bought one yet? I am tempted.
 Neil Williams 17 Feb 2012
In reply to BlakeyDerbyshire:

I'm slightly tempted as well. No use for climbing, but you can always find a non-climbing use for old/knackered/not-actually climbing ropes.

Neil
 Neil Williams 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:

(but I wouldn't want to encourage them to sell something as "climbing rope" that isn't, per the rest of the discussion)
 Tricky Dicky 20 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

His phone number (according to google) is 020 8123 1719
 Martyn Trev 20 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

Do they do BMC discount?
 aimaz 21 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

http://www.facebook.com/reeveselectronics?sk=wall

You can follow them on facebook.

I like how the second result on google for reeves electronics is a yahoo answers page saying not to trust them.
 Slaney 27 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

that's ok then, only non-climbers will buy it
 LaylayPants 27 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:
If anyone is unsure about buying a rope, I would recommend buying from either a climbing wall, or from a uk based site that is long established for the sale of such products!
I have heard in the past about ropes from places overseas such as Japan and china and they are NOT I repeat NOT REPUTABLE! If its not endorsed by a well known site AND from a well known brand such as boreal or mammut, dmm etc. then DO NOT BUY IT FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN a 'WHAT NOT TO BUY' experience for others!
As an SPA quailed instructor, and a member of a mountain rescue team, quality beats cost hands down, please be safe!
Remember, there is fake stuff out there! And it WILL kill, harsh I know but that's the facts fake tested ropes, grigri's, quickdraws etc.
Stay safe my friends, climbing is for life not a cheap trick x x x
 Oceanrower 27 Feb 2012
In reply to LaylayPants: Message recieved but NO NEED TO SHOUT!
 JoshOvki 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Oceanrower: a

WHAT WAS THAT?!
 Oceanrower 27 Feb 2012
In reply to LaylayPants: O, and or the record, DMM DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE ROPES!
 JoshOvki 27 Feb 2012
In reply to LaylayPants:

Do Boreal make safety critical kit? What about not so well known brands such as Climbing Technology and Zero-G, is there kit okay?
 joshedwr 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Oceanrower: well they sell some of their own brand ropes

http://dmmclimbing.com/products/ropes/
 Oceanrower 27 Feb 2012
In reply to joshedwr: That they do. Though they are manufactured by Beal.
 petestack 28 Feb 2012
In reply to LaylayPants:
> If anyone is unsure about buying a rope, I would recommend buying from either a climbing wall, or from a uk based site that is long established for the sale of such products!

How about a normal climbing shop (without a wall), or are they too risky?

> As an SPA quailed instructor

You know there are lots of quailed folk on this board?

gearslave 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Oceanrower: Ahem - NOT manufactured by Beal..
 Oceanrower 28 Feb 2012
In reply to gearslave: No? My mistake then.

DMM, working with Beal ropes, have developed a range of DMM ropes for the UK market. These aren't rebranded Beal ropes - Beal ropes are distributed in the UK by Lyon Equipment - but are a new range being built to DMM's own specifications. The DMM ropes aim to balance the durability needed to cope with tough British rock and weather conditions while still retaining ease of handling and, importantly, low impact forces so that you get a soft catch if you fall off. The prices look competitive.

From here.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2882
 The Norris 28 Feb 2012
In reply to mloskot:

Looks like this advert has been pulled, so success to UKC!
In reply to LaylayPants:
> (In reply to mloskot)

> As an SPA quailed instructor,

quailed in a spa?
Grumble 28 Feb 2012
In reply to gearslave: Edelrid?
gearslave 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Grumble: Yeah, Edelrid. Beal was the original plan, but met with a few difficulties I believe! Shame the catalogues got printed before that happened though!
 Ash_Johnson 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Oceanrower:
> (In reply to LaylayPants) O, and or the record, DMM DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE ROPES!

Quoted from Laylaypants:

'brand such as boreal or mammut, dmm etc.'

'Brands', not rope manufacturers. I notice a consistent pattern of people using the first opportunity to miss quote or point out mistakes in other members posts rather than sticking to the subject.

Oh and for the record. It's FOR the record, not or the record =]
 Oceanrower 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Ash_Johnson:
> (In reply to Oceanrower)
> [...]
>
> 'Brands', not rope manufacturers. I notice a consistent pattern of people using the first opportunity to miss quote or point out mistakes in other members posts rather than sticking to the subject.
>
> Oh and for the record. It's FOR the record, not or the record =]

Oh dear, another one shouting. Ok, I missed a letter off a word. Easily done on mobile keypads.

I would, however, like to know who this "miss quote" is. Is she related to misquote by any chance?

Simon Caldwell 01 Mar 2012
In reply to snaresman:
> Looks like this advert has been pulled, so success to UKC!

Looks more like the whole site has been pulled...
 Ash_Johnson 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Oceanrower:

Appologies for my dyslexia. You are still wrong though =] not so nice when someone does it to you is it? Stop being such a keyboard warrior and then maybe you will be a bit happier in your life. Take care.
 Oceanrower 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Ash_Johnson: It's fine by me. If you can't take it don't give it! Oh, and thank you for your concern but my life is surprisingly happy at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...