UKC

Memory Map on iPhone problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Walker 16 Feb 2012
If you use this it may be worth checking that it is fully functional or that you can still access your paid for maps. See http://www.facebook.com/lovememorymap/posts/10150660485477474
The Memory Map app has been removed from iTunes for the past few weeks....
 Glansa 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

I don't understand how the issues Memory Map have had getting their app redesigned to meet Apple's new in-app purchase rules would affect anyone's ability to use maps they have paid for. If someone has deleted maps from the device and then upgrades to the new version they may have to reload maps through their computer rather than straight onto the phone but they'll still be abel to get them.

It's annoying that it's been off the app store for a while but that would only affect new users or people who have deleted the app for some reason and when it is back on sale they will be able to install/reinstall it.

Or have I missed something?
OP Ron Walker 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Nick B, Another One:

Unfortunately up in hills fighting 100 plus mph winds on the Cairngorm plateau and away from a PC is not the place to find out that it's not working fully, or that some maps can't be accessed. Once Memory Map realised there was a problem with their iPhone app they should have issued a warning on their website and on their facebook page.
While I carry several spare maps and compasses I know lots of folk foolishly rely on GPS technology and having a wireless internet connection everywhere!!!!
IMHO think MM have been pretty negligent with this...
 Andy Hudson 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
I have this app (on the iphone) and whilst no problems in accessing it i did find that the load maps via wifi function disappeared and i had to do it via itunes. This may have changed now the problems appear to have been sorted.
 Glansa 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

What problem/s is/are there with the app? What parts of it are said to not be fully working? I agree their customer service has been it's usual combination of 3 months late in issuing any information at all and then issuing out of date information when they do issue statements but I haven't heard of any actual "problems" with the software and it does seem that they have repeatedly submitted update to Apple that have been turned down and been delayed for rather unclear reasons, this fits perfectly with the stories I've heard from other developers who deal with app store approvals.

The only issue that I've heard of is that due to contract changes they've pulled it from sale until Apple say the updated version meets their new contract terms and that anyone installing the new version may find they have to use a different method to load maps onto it (i.e. USB cable from PC rather than over wifi, which to be honest is a far quicker method, of course I only found this out after loading about 10Gb of maps on over wifi!).

Unless someone has some information about actual problems with the software rather than them having to take it off sale for 3 months to rewrite it to meet new contract terms then claiming negligence seems a little hysterical to be honest.

The idea of public wifi on the plateau is a good one though, I'd even pay a moderate parking charge if they put that in...
 johnnyslowfeet 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: For those interested 'outdoor gb with national parks' app gives you os maps of all the national parks for £5
In reply to Nick B,

Basically from what I understand and following an update on the app last year it failed to recognise some of the existing maps without buying them again or buying the new app.

This is not something you want to find out while climbing abroad in the Alps or in a middle of a blizzard on the Cairngorm plateau....

Prior to updating there was no mention that this would happen. More recently following the Apple OS update a similar problem has occurred with the maps disappearing completely or having to repurchase them.

Unfortunately after an incident the other day, I followed MM's advice and removed the whole application to reinstall it from iTunes to see if it would work. However I now find that the app is no longer available on iTunes and that several other users have had exactly the same problem!!

From the horses mouth so to speak, see the following MM reply on Facebook - pity they never mentioned it on there website or reply via their email contact form:

"Unfortunately when an iOS update is released by Apple, it sometimes will remove the Memory-Map mapping from the iOS device. The reason for this is that Apple will only allow the Memory-Map app access to certain storage locations on the iOS device, which are sometimes cleared when an iOS update is applied. I am afraid there is no way around this for us.
You can recover your mapping, and the way to do this depends on how the maps were supplied in the first place.
If you have disk based mapping, you can re-transfer it via the iTunes File Transfer interface. Instructions for this are available here: http://www.memory-map.co.uk/kb/questions.php?questionid=44
If you downloaded Digital Map Shop mapping direct onto the iOS device, you can bulk re-download the mapping. Instructions for this are here: http://www.memory-map.co.uk/kb/questions.php?questionid=93"
In reply to johnnyslowfeet:
> (In reply to Ron Walker) For those interested 'outdoor gb with national parks' app gives you os maps of all the national parks for £5

Thanks, but unfortunately I've already bought several copies of the digital maps of the Munros and National Parks from Anquet, Memory Map and Mapwise.
I also have the OS paper ones too, so not in the market to pay for any more maps if I can avoid it!!
What's the link btw?
It just annoys me that some of the software and hardware companies put profits and marketing well before life and safety...
 Glansa 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

Right, now I see the problem. So there are 2 issues for them, the Apple updates wiping their app's stored data (maps) and having to pull the app from the store due to Apple changing the requirements. Hmm, anyone spotting a theme here?

It would seem fair to assume that they can't tell in advance if any particular iOS update will wipe a particular user's maps before it happens. I've done every iOS update pretty much as soon as they've been released for about 3 years, always had MM on the phone and never lost anything so it seems to be, while maybe not truly random, at least an irregular problem depending on specifics of individual device's installation. But I absolutely agree that the chance that it could happen clearly needs to receive widest possible attention. I would also suggest that it shows Apple to be one of/the negligent party as they are the ones causing the problem making them both incompetent and total arses, but most people already knew that! How can you run a platform like that and get away with it?

The advice on the website of wipe and re-install was meant to have been removed or reworded while the app was not in the store as obviously you can't reinstall if you can't download the app but MM's customer service moves slower than continental drift!

Apple + Memory Map = A perfect storm of idiots?

Shame, I really like MM and my iPhone...
 johnnyslowfeet 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: Wasn't trying to highjack your thread, I just saw iPhone and map and thought it was too good an offer to not tell people about so decided to shoehorn it in on the presumption iPhone users would be reading it. I'll go back to just reading threads now!!

The MM app interface on the iPhone is good to use when it actually works compared their MM Adventurer 2800 OS which I'd originally bought...

Pity about the iPhones battery life in the cold and the Adventure 2800 useless OS interface in stormy weather!!!!
 Glansa 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

I used to use the Windows Mobile version until a couple of years ago and it too was awful (although that was true of the whole HTC/Windows experience).

Battery life is a bit poor in winter, but I can get 3 days (well, a 2 night trip so maybe 2.5 days really) out of it with some fiddling with settings and just basic phone and GPS turned on as well as keeping it in the sleeping bag at night. That said, in summer, using a battery case thing ("Mooncharge" or something, surprisingly lightweight and although a bit bulkier still easily pocket-sized and with a novelty solar panel on the back) I've done a full week and had charge to spare, even listening to podcasts and things at night.

It has it's moments though, it was both nice and deeply weird when I stumbled across a hint of a 3G signal when camping between Rannoch and Corrour stations and ended up doing bedtime on skype with my 2.5year old from my Akto.
You got 3G in Rannoch - you barely get that in Inverness!!!! In fact you barely get a basic mobile signal on the A9 up north never mind anywhere else!
 Glansa 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: To say I was surprised was an understatement, to say nothing of my wife! I've had a passable 3G signal on the drive between Tyndrum/Bridge of Orchy before so I'd guess it was coming up from there somewhere and I was just high enough!
OP Ron Walker 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

Some more info on this link with MM blaming Apple. MM still not warning or notifying their customers on their website or DMS store that there is a problem http://www.memory-map.co.uk/supportforum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=4788&...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...