UKC

Mountain leader assessment, anyone have any tips or advice? =)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Laura-lou 02 Mar 2012
I posted up on my facebook that I was packing for my ML and got a load of really good suggestions and tips (glow stick for the back of my pack for night navigation, pack spare batteries etc) and was wondering if I could maybe mine UKC for some more! I also learnt recently that when doing a trangia talk with young people you can get them to put the strap that binds the trangia together around the head, rambo style, of the person you are having use it. Stops it from getting lost and means you can pick out your cooks more easily...possibly one of the best tips I've learnt in relation to group work. Anyone have any more?

Cheers, Laura
RhysB 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou:
i. Relax and enjoy it, treat each day as just another day in the hills, doing your thing, that you have done loads before.

ii. dont stress over it being an assessment, its 5/6 days long, odds are you might make one little mistake or forget something silly (like the name for tormental), so dont worry over it ad move on

iii. the assessors are not looking to catch you out, trick you or fail you. But to give you the best chance to show what you can do.
 butteredfrog 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou:

Relax and enjoy!

Have a "repair kit": gaffer tape, cable ties, 4mtrs paracord for bootlaces etc.

Nav, Nav, Nav, don't be pressured into giving an instant position if asked, take your time and relocate before giving a definative answer, you will be asked many times "where are we now, to the nearest meter?" this can happen at any point during your assesment, be prepared.

Stay positive, look keen, look like you are enjoying yourself. You are unlikley to get any confermation of your performance till the end of the assesment, have a crack, bit of laughter at mealtimes etc, show you are comfortable with your environment and the tasks you are being set.

Cheers Adam
 butteredfrog 02 Mar 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:

If you can get together with the other candidates beforehand, split a tent between you etc, its always a bonus.

Whatever tent you are using, pitch it a few times so you know how it goes together.

When you reach a campsite, think about cooking, select a good spot, bang the stove on first, whilst you pitch the tent. By the time the assesor turns up to check your progress, you are sat there with your tent up and a brew in your hand.

A good 80% of your job when working as an ML is about looking after other people, in all situations, project confidence.
 Weedyskid 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou:

Best advice I can give you, is to be relaxed, the only pressure you will be under will come from within. The assesor is not there to make your life difficult, they will pose problems that you shuold know how to deal with, involve the rest of your group as much as you can, this help to keep everyone calm and relaxed.

And most of all ENJOY it, its a great week, and one of the best weeks i've had in the mountains!
 t_hume 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou:

I found on day 2 of the exped, not knowing when we would finish or where we were camping was psychologically quite hard. Being mentally prepared to follow others for an extended time with out knowing the final destination would have probably helped.

Apart from those few hours i really enjoyed it.

And fully agree with butteredfrog, have a good laugh and show how comfortabe you are in that environment. It might impress the assessor and probably help you all to relax.
OP Laura-lou 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou: Thanks so much, it's all really good advice! I particularly like the repair kit idea, Im going to raid the shed and then head to Go Outdoors to put one together. Thanks again!
 Matt Schwarz 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou: eat loads, the days can be pretty long, and you need to be firing on all cylinders for night nav. I went dreading it, but it was fine, as the previous poster said all the pressure comes from you.
have fun and good luck.
 67hours 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Laura-lou: Best single tip I was given was "never lose a point of reference" for the night nav. I.e, make sure that even if you get stuck you can also get back to something that you know.

Make sure you enjoy the week and take the chance to learn some more as well - it isn't just a 6 day exam but a week's worth of an instructor's time that you can benefit greatly from!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...