UKC

Changing your diet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 07 Mar 2012
I have posted on here previously about this, and recognise that to lose weight you have to exercise more and eat a great deal healthier. I realise I need to lose one stone, but doing it will be hard as I have passed that magical age of 40. It seems your body changes.

Years ago when I have taken on an exercise regime, my body has always ached for days afterwards, my memory of that is enough to put me off. In fact when I was a very driven person , my body was permanently aching.

On a visit to a supermarket I could not stop myself buying some muffins. Not healthy at all. I dont eat salads, because they dont keep. I have cut out fizzy drinks, but do like chocolate. I find it really hard to change the rudiments of my diet.

How easy do you find it to change your diet?
 Milesy 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> How easy do you find it to change your diet?

It is easier to change in small steps at a time if looking for a life style change, otherwise you just need to suck it up. If you have three snacks a day then make a small change such as no snacks during the working day and then you can look forward to a single snack after your dinner. I find cutting things out completely is unenjoyable and not nessessary.

Don't food shop on an empty stomach after work before dinner and you will be greatly less likely to buy junk.

Cook food by weight and not eye sight (especially on an empty stomach)

The easiest thing to do is keep a food diary for a week or two and don't lie. Note down the product and the weight for the diary entry, and note down the calories for that specific product for say 100g (or item) at the back of the diary. This way you are not counting your calories while you are keeping the diary (and skewing your attempt) and you can then look up the calories for that item type when tallying up the totals. From this you can get a better picture of what you are eating, the times you are eating them and figure out small changes to make.
 Scarab9 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

I generally eat pretty healthy but if I get in a bad rutt it's usually because there's stuff going on that's killed my motivation (such as hard times recently) and at the point I put off eating until I'm starving and then can't be bothered cooking so get takeaway or a pizza from the shop or something. That's the difficulty for me, motivating myself to cook (which I actually love but sometimes forget, and it's not the same when it's just for you).
The other problem for me is when I'm a bit skint I don't want to splash out on more than's absolutely necessary and combined with the above can mean it's cheaper to eat crap.

best way of fixing it for me - get a cookbook. One that's obviously healthy, and one that's very simple (you won't be bothered if it's all fancy stuff that takes a lot of prep, even if it's all omelettes/risottos/pasta - all simple stuff - but with different ingredients it's inspiration) and then work through it. Make enough to last a couple of nights each time so you can still be a bit lazy at times.

also you'll struggle when you really don't have time, like grabbing a quick lunch or something. Make a big soup and freeze it so you just need to reheat so none of that "I could make this...but it'd take 20mins...I'll have a sandwich"

I don't need to lose weight (actually I need to put it back on...) but this helps me eat better, which is very similar.
 tony 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

> On a visit to a supermarket I could not stop myself buying some muffins. Not healthy at all. I dont eat salads, because they dont keep. I have cut out fizzy drinks, but do like chocolate. I find it really hard to change the rudiments of my diet.
>

It's not easy, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. To avoid buying muffins, don't go into the muffin aisle in the supermarket - you know you don't want them, and the only reason you buy them is because you see them. If you don't see them, you won't buy them.

Salads don't keep How long do you want to keep them? You should be eating them, not keeping them. Actually, you don't need to resort to salads - I'm never really sure where this idea comes from, that you need to eat salads if you want to lose weight. It's nonsense. You can easily eat more vegetables - lots of veg will keep fine for long enough.

Some chocolate is okay - it all depends how much you eat. Try to limit it to once a day, so you still get the pleasure, without going over the top.

It might help to plan a week's meals, and only buy for those meals. It's the wee treats that fall in your supermarket basket that cause the problems.
Wiley Coyote2 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

Whenever I've lost weight - and the fact I've had to do it so often shows I'm not very good at keeping it off - it's been a question of finding the right motivation. You have to want to be lighter more than you want the pleasure of eating the scrummy fattening, sugar-laden food. It might be getting fit for a trip, a hit route, burning your mates off, vanity, whatever. You just have to want it enough.
On the good news side a tv docu last week suggested excercise, for all its other benefits, was not a great way of losing weight.
 Tiberius 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> The easiest thing to do is keep a food diary for a week or two and don't lie.

I'd advise anyone thinking of losing weight to do this before they start. I was truly amazed at the amount of crap I ate.
 Dom Brown 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard: I'm trying to shift a bit of weight at the moment, Like others have said keeping a food Diary is really helpful, I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

it already has most foods on there so its easy to use, you can get apps for it on smart phones as well so there isn't really a reason not to use it.
 Anni 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

I personally had to find out why I was eating so much, and so much rubbish. Once Id cut out emotional triggers and dependance I then had to work on the what. I gradually found healthier options that I actually like, including stuff Id never have considered previously. One thing that really helped is I like meat, so found it easy to cut down substantially on carbs with my evening meal and at lunch (I have a desk job so really dont need that much of them) Ill still be full after a slab of meat with veg, and have cut out at least half the calories in that meal.

I still eat chocolate and crisps, but in much smaller amounts than I ever did. I dont make myself feel guilty about eating them either! Ive pretty much cut out chips, cut down on all the cheese I was eating, cut out a lot of pasta and bread and switched to low fat/healthier options where possible. If I dont like a lower fat/less sugary option I dont make myself eat it. Personally, I found making the changes gradually I missed stuff less, and healthier eating habits became an everyday thing rather than a chore. I make sure I adjust how much I eat on days I do a lot of exercise to avoid cravings from being too hungry. It becomes surprisingly easy not to pick up that packet of muffins after a while

All of the above took me about a month to get comfy with, something I thought was impossible before then. The only time Ive put on weight since is when Ive been having a stressful/crappy time. Once thats passed I find it easy to go back to being healthy again. Ive just lost nearly 8llbs in the last ten weeks while still enjoying cake, chocolate, crisps and booze. Bonus

Anni 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
>>
> Years ago when I have taken on an exercise regime, my body has always ached for days afterwards, my memory of that is enough to put me off. In fact when I was a very driven person , my body was permanently aching.
>

Having done that to myself, can completley understand! I found I had to go back to exercise gradually and find myself enjoying it again rather than doing it because I wanted to loose weight or be fit. Those are just the plus side to having fun
 The New NickB 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> On the good news side a tv docu last week suggested excercise, for all its other benefits, was not a great way of losing weight.

That isn't good news, thankfully it also isn't true. They talk about only 'heroic' amounts of exercise helping you lose weight, but when they heroic, they mean quite modest, like 5 hours fairly intense exercise, or longer for less intense stuff.

The problem is a lot of people are lazy and think a half hearted 30 minutes in the gym twice a week is a lot of exercise.
In reply to DB1: Another vote for myfitnesspal. It gives really graphical representations of your food intake and your progress.
 teflonpete 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

A few weeks ago I fell off above the 3rd clip at the climbing wall and ended up with my feet just touching the floor on rope stretch with my climbing partner catapulted up to the first clip. Realising that something needed to be done about our mismatching weights, and unable to persuade her to eat more pies, I took the drastic step of cutting down quite a lot on fried food and cutting out chocolate and cake. I haven't become a salad junkie or anything, just cutting out some of the more fattening things I was eating. 3 weeks on, 1/2 a stone off and my knees don't hurt all time now. To be honest, I haven't really missed the things I've cut out either, because I didn't go for a really radical diet change or anything, just cut out the worst offenders.
 waterbaby 08 Mar 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

Blimey, you did it. Well done!
 teflonpete 08 Mar 2012
In reply to waterbaby:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> Blimey, you did it. Well done!

Not yet, the first 1/2 stone is the easy bit, it's the next one that will take a bit more effort, but I'm heading in the right direction. :0)
 Scarab9 08 Mar 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

I know what will help - you can carry everyone's gear over the weekend! Only thinking of your health here mate :-p
 Ava Adore 12 Mar 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

Hey Skinny Pete, well done you!
 simon kimber 12 Mar 2012
"I dont eat salads, because they dont keep."
Erm, most food that is good for you doesn't keep very well. Do you not eat fish for the same reason? Why not just eat it the day you get it?

" I have cut out fizzy drinks, but do like chocolate. "
Are you eating chocolate chocolate or confectionary chocolate? If the latter, sack that in straight away, start eating proper chocolate (70% cocoa absolute minimum). You need less to feel satisfied and its actually good for you.

I find it really hard to change the rudiments of my diet.
Read a book by Michael Pollan, The Eaters Manifesto I think its called. He reduces all the shit diet advice to a very simple 'eat food, mostly plants, not too much'. Of course by food he means actual food, that a great great granmother would recognise as food

Shani 12 Mar 2012
In reply to simon kimber:

Sound advice. The only bit I'd disagree with is Pollen's advice to eat 'mostly plants'.

Plants are what food eats.
 bobtheclimber 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard: i have slowly changed my diet to what i condier healthier over the last year or so.

Its not to difficult to change just do it a bit at a time instead of getting overwhelmed and changing it all up at once and going back to old habtis

I used to love sweet cereals but i slowly weaned off by mixing two types together and then geting used to the healthier cereal. i went from crap eating crap like frosties/chocolate ceral>Granola>sugared museli>unsugared museli>bran flakes> all bran> oats and now in the monring i actuakly feel alot better when i just have a bowl of oats and raisiins

i have done a similar thing with lunch slowy changing from making white bread sandwiches to eating cous cous with, tomatoes cucumber and a couple of pitta breads.
I never buy salad leaves as i agree they dont keep but tomatoes cucumber and the like keep for a week or so.

its ok to eat things like muffins once in a while just try and cut them out of a daily ritual,instead of cutting down th size of your lunch make a bigger healthier one so you can eat it at 2-3 times through the day so your are not tempted to snack on chocolate and crisps or bring a healthier snack with you such as cashews to eat if u get peckish

like said before dont go shopping hungry and try and plan what you are going to buy/cook in advance so you dont end up with a load of tut your dont need.

one final thing you may not want to but cutting out alcohol (assuming you do drink ) can make a massive differences as having just a few pints can massivly add to your calorific intake

cheers
 Neil Williams 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

"I dont eat salads, because they dont keep."

No shop you can go to to buy them daily? Or have them delivered?

Neil
 kathrync 12 Mar 2012
In reply to simon kimber:
> Of course by food he means actual food, that a great great granmother would recognise as food

Ha, well if my Grandmother is anything to go by then that discounts pasta, rice, any kind of pulse, and any vegetable that isn't cabbage, carrot or cauliflower!
 Neil Williams 12 Mar 2012
In reply to tony:

"Salads don't keep How long do you want to keep them? You should be eating them, not keeping them. Actually, you don't need to resort to salads - I'm never really sure where this idea comes from, that you need to eat salads if you want to lose weight. It's nonsense. You can easily eat more vegetables - lots of veg will keep fine for long enough."

Where salads really come in is lunch - they can be as filling as sandwiches but with a fraction of the calories.

Unless, of course, you go to Subway and have double meat (tuna is worst because of the mayo) and half a bottle of South West sauce all over them. Ahem.

Neil
 Ava Adore 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

One salad leaf that does keep for ages is spinach. Not everyone's cup of tea admittedly but I love it.
 tlm 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> One salad leaf that does keep for ages is spinach. Not everyone's cup of tea admittedly but I love it.

I keep an iceberg lettuce going for about 2 weeks. I just don't cut it, but pull the leaves off. It only ends after 2 weeks because I have eaten it all by then - it never goes off.

thegreatape 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

A lass at work lost around 7 stone in 9 months by sticking to a healthy but fairly strict diet for 6 days then having anything she wanted on Sundays - whole tub of ice cream, takeaway, absolutely anything. She said she managed to stick to it because she knew she only had, at most, 5/6 days of it. Worked for her.
 waterbaby 13 Mar 2012
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> I keep an iceberg lettuce going for about 2 weeks. I just don't cut it, but pull the leaves off. It only ends after 2 weeks because I have eaten it all by then - it never goes off.

It gets really bitter when it's old, in fact it is often old when purchased.

You can revitalize it by soaking it in cold water and putting it in the fridge for a while.
 waterbaby 13 Mar 2012
In reply to thegreatape:

She didn't change her thinking about food though. Given time she will put it back on if she is not really careful.
 tlm 13 Mar 2012
In reply to waterbaby:

> It gets really bitter when it's old, in fact it is often old when purchased.

Do you think so? I've never noticed any bitterness, just crunchy wateryness. I've never really felt any need to revitalise. Mind you, I only have a bit in my sandwichs for some juicy crunch....

Maybe I will take a big bite tonight as an experiment...
 mloskot 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> On the good news side a tv docu last week suggested excercise,
> for all its other benefits, was not a great way of losing weight.

This is a big simplification. Watch it again.

mloskot 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> On a visit to a supermarket I could not stop myself buying some muffins.

From 7th minute:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cywtq/Horizon_20112012_The_Truth_Ab...

> I dont eat salads, because they dont keep.

You are not serious, aren't you.

> I have cut out fizzy drinks, but do like chocolate.

No pain, no gain

> I find it really hard to change the rudiments of my diet.
>

I have similar problem and I'm trying to solve it.
I have very sweet tooth and it is very hard indeed.
Whenever I buy food, I simply ask myself what I hate more:
the "pain" I don't have (too much) food I like
or the frustration on the wall.

For me, the answer is clear.

I'd also recommend to check this book - dead clear and easy to understand and apply:

http://www.davemacleod.com/shop/racingweightquickstartguide.html

I also regard Steve Bechtel, climbers (and not only) coach from US.
Steve has just posted new blog about weight management:

http://climbstrong.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/fat-loss-and-weight-management-...

There are number of interviews where he gives interesting tips:

youtube.com/watch?v=4e1cAVO8JOs&

youtube.com/watch?v=zdLCeXP3Xqc&

You can find video blog posted by Shelli Johnson who was trained by Steve.
She confirmed she has lost 23 pounds/13% body fat in around 6 months.

youtube.com/watch?v=HK3d2Kmkl3I&

AFAIU, the BBC docu linked above is aligned to what Steve recommends in his programs.

As someone said, people are simply lazy and the problem with such training is that
it is unpleasent. At least, it is far more unpleasent than 45 min of jog around park
which seems to give minimal results regarding weight loss.
 walkingOn 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard: I don't believe in that over 40 rule !!! Especially when I lost 1 stone myself just as I turned 40 and developed a flat stomach. I adopted a weight training / cardio / watch what you eat regime and it worked for me. I worked out five days per week for no more than 1 hour in the gym. It's important to split the body up into shoulders, chest and triceps one day and biceps and back another for say two days alternative and then on the fifth do your legs and abs. Put in a Cardio work out of no more than 20 mins for 3 / 4 times per week and eat at least 4 small meals per day and you've done it. Eat your carbs in the morning or no later than say 1500hrs in the day and If you don't lose weight by sticking to this ill eat a karabiner!!

Cut of junk !!!! Sorry but if it doesn't grow from the ground, fly, walk, swim etc then don't eat and cut the beer out completely for 4 weeks until you've lost the weight. Once you've achieved the weight you desire you'll know more about your body and then the odd beer won't do any harm because you'll know how to compensate.
 bobtheclimber 13 Mar 2012
In reply to thegreatape: did u follow this diet thegreatape?

youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU&

this may be useful to op as well
 thermal_t 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
> [...]
> Don't food shop on an empty stomach after work before dinner and you will be greatly less likely to buy junk.

Such a good piece of advice, have been caught out by that one on numerous occasions.
 tlm 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> Don't food shop on an empty stomach after work before dinner and you will be greatly less likely to buy junk.

Also - they handily tend to put all the junk in its own junk aisles in the supermarket. So I just rush past the end of the biscuit, sweet, alchohol, fizzy drink, pizza, ready meal, pre-cooked sauce, icecream, frozen pudding and crisp aisles without pausing. I allow myself to dither and browse in the vegetable section as much as I want to, buying pomegranites and aubergines galore.
 bigpad 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard: there was a new journal punished late late year stating that to loose weight you do not need to exercise but need to cut down on your food intake and eat better food, and climes that exercise make you got and healthy but not get rid of weight as tge average person after exercising will eat again because they are hungry or because they think they have lost weight so the chocolate cake with a cuppa will not do much damage. Just stop eating so much!

The New NickB 13 Mar 2012
In reply to bigpad:

These studies are always based very small amounts of exercise.
Anti Podean 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

I made a change in my diet 12 months ago, switching to a mostly paleo diet (~80% of it is sound; the rest is "magical thinking"), and dropped over 4 stone in 6 months. Although I've not adhered to it quite so strictly since Xmas, I've not put any weight back on and, now I've got into climbing I'm back on it again with positive results.

As you're probably aware, changing diets is about changing habits, triggers, and modifying your lifestyle to take it into account. I buy my lunch from a nearby café most days, so order a chicken salad (instead of a sarnie). I have a typical body-builder-style protein shake for breakfast on weekdays (instead of cereal) and bacon/eggs on weekends. Excluding processed food and grains (flour, bread, cereal, etc) is the main change.

I found communities on places like Reddit (particularly r/paleo and r/loseit) to be helpful. And the usual things like blogs, podcasts, etc, if you've got the time/inclination. Paleo (as with CrossFit) attracts a lot of magical thinkers, so keep your critical thinking hat on.

I should note that I'm only halfway to my weight goal, so I'm a _long way_ from being a wiry climber. And I'm 40. YMMV.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...