UKC

Burbage Valley - Camping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Greedotheferret 26 Mar 2012
Can anybody tell me if there are any restrictions I should be aware of or if camping is even permitted in Burbage Valley.
If the weather permits I will be hoping to get up to burbage north to do some routes and it would be nice to camp out rather than do the 2 hour exhausted drive home at the end of the day. It would be somewhere out of the way, maybe down by the woods or the stream. I just dont want to step on any toes if this is not permitted.
 winhill 26 Mar 2012
In reply to GREEDOTHEFERRET:

If it were permitted I think you'd find a few people doing it.

You don't seem to be thinking of many alternatives if the only options are sleeping in the woods or driving home.
 lowersharpnose 26 Mar 2012

Walk along to Stanage an sleep in the cave.
Greedotheferret 26 Mar 2012
In reply to GREEDOTHEFERRET: Cheers for the info; loos like I will be heading over to the Eric Byne site. Shame just seems like such a lovely place for it.
 deepsoup 26 Mar 2012
North Lees is closer.
I'd second LSN's suggestion though.
 _MJC_ 26 Mar 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose: Do other people not often have the same idea then?
 gethin_allen 26 Mar 2012
In reply to _MJC_:
> (In reply to lowersharpnose) Do other people not often have the same idea then?

There is that risk.
If the main cave is occupied you can get in the caves next-door, but they are less comfortable.
 deepsoup 26 Mar 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> There is that risk.
Though it probably helps that so many people confuse the one cave with the other - you might find the uncomfortable cave full of people and the comfy one empty. ;O)
 Ramblin dave 26 Mar 2012
> (In reply to GREEDOTHEFERRET) Shame just seems like such a lovely place for it.

The trouble is, it'd stop being such a lovely place for it very shortly after half the population of Sheffield pitched up on a saturday night and started playing music, shouting, partying, drinking, shitting, dropping litter...

(Nb not a specific dig at Sheffield, it just happens to be the large centre of population that's 20 minutes drive from the Burbage Valley.)
MattDTC 26 Mar 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to GREEDOTHEFERRET)
> [...]
>
> The trouble is, it'd stop being such a lovely place for it very shortly after half the population of Sheffield pitched up on a saturday night and started playing music, shouting, partying, drinking, shitting, dropping litter...
>

If you head down Burbage valley on Sat morning, you already do find people camping on a fairly regular basis. I've seen groups of 10+ with full on family tents, deck chairs, tables, crates of beer, stereo....the works.
 Simon 27 Mar 2012
In reply to MattDTC:

The wild camping that takes place at Burbage IS a big problem for the council and park authorities and is discouraged.

Stanage is a little different in that it is tolerated if you only leave footprints & have no fires.

We are experiencing quite a lot of people staying at Horseshoe now as they sleep round the fire pits and wood is no problem. Not saying its open for this - but it is tolerated.

Or just pay to stay at North Lee's - that's what its there for!

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...