UKC

Lancashire Quarries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 poeticshambles 23 May 2012
Hey, everyone, does anyone know if the are any crags near to Preston that I can get a train to? So, walking distance would be nice from a train station, as I don't have a car.

Thanks.
 efrance24234 23 May 2012
In reply to poeticshambles: train to bolton then belmont bus up to wiltons?
In reply to efrance24234: Yeah that would be good. I bought a bike the other week so I could take that on the train out of rush hour. It's just my mate wants to go, who has no bike. I'll have a look at the trains and buses. Thanks.
 Reidy 23 May 2012
In reply to poeticshambles: Bus to Craig y Longridge or get the train to silverdale or Carnforth and get on the limestone
 iccy 23 May 2012
In reply to Reidy:

Trowbarrow is definitely do-able by public transport
aultguish 23 May 2012
In reply to poeticshambles: Get your mate to buy a rickety old bike for £50 ish, you'll save on taxi/bus fares in the long run. You've then also got Bamber Bridge for Denham Quarry
 Enty 23 May 2012
In reply to iccy:
> (In reply to Reidy)
>
> Trowbarrow is definitely do-able by public transport

Did that loads of times in my student days.

E

In reply to poeticshambles: Thanks guys. The problem is, he doesn't actually want to climb, so he won't buy a bike. I'm just bribing him food at the moment as his student loan has ran out. I'm trying to train him as my belay slave as I don't really know anyone to climb with

I'll compile a list of doable places, hopefully I'll meet other climbers while I'm there, then I can go on the good ol' bicycle.
In reply to Reidy: That looks good around there. I could get a train straight there and then walk. Denham looks close too, definitely could bike to there. I'll have an explore now my exams are over.
 Paul Crusher R 23 May 2012
In reply to poeticshambles: Get a bus to Chorley/Preston on the A6 Preston road route. Get of at the Pines in CLayton Brook and you can walk in 10 up to denham.
Its the 125/126
http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/documents/transport/239.pdf
 robin mueller 23 May 2012
In reply to poeticshambles:

Knowle Heights, Darwen - about 200m from station
Billinge Hill, Cherry Tree - about 2km from station
Hoghton, Pleasington - about 2.5km from station
Healey Nab, chorley - about 2km from station (Stronstrey bank another 1km)
Horrobin (undeveloped), Adlington - about 2km from station
Parbold, Parbold - about 1.5km from station
Egerton, Bromley Cross - about 2km from station
 quirky 23 May 2012
In reply to robin mueller: Not sure about your first 3! First 2 would not be worth the bus fair.... Houghton has restrictions on it so check you can climb there before you go!!
 ht3 23 May 2012
In reply to robin mueller: Where abouts in Adlington is Horrobin? Always interested to find new places that are nearby
In reply to quirky:
> (In reply to robin mueller) Not sure about your first 3! First 2 would not be worth the bus fair.... Houghton has restrictions on it so check you can climb there before you go!!

Esoteric, yes. I've not climbed at Billinge but it looked like it would be alright in dry weather. I've had some fun bouldering at Knowle Heights - youtube.com/watch?v=yugxPv2KzO4&
In reply to harrytonge:
> (In reply to robin mueller) Where abouts in Adlington is Horrobin? Always interested to find new places that are nearby

Just off Horrobin lane.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.624407,-2.575095&spn=0.000883,0.002446&am...
In reply to robin mueller: That has to be a mistake, there's a roas there called "Asshawes" lol
In reply to poeticshambles: *road* sorry, bloody iPad.
 Ron247 23 May 2012
In reply to robin mueller:
> (In reply to harrytonge)
> [...]
>
> Just off Horrobin lane.
>
> http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.624407,-2.575095&spn=0.000883,0.002446&am...

Do you have any more info on this spot? It's really close to where I grew up and my dad still lives round there so would be good to have somewhere to nip round to when I go to visit. I assume it's just bouldering?
In reply to Ron247: I can't find it on the crags map. It seems to be opposite Anglezarke, or it may well be Anglezarke, I'm not sure.
In reply to Ron247:

Routes as well. 10-12m high, in a leafy quarry. A decent looking arete, a vertical wall and an overhanging wall which apparently never dries. Most stuff needs a bit of a clean - I don't know what, if anything, has been climbed.
In reply to poeticshambles:

It's not on the crags map. It's not Anglezarke.
In reply to robin mueller: Thanks, I may go and have a look tomorrow. I want to practice placing gear with my feet firmly on the ground.
 Ron247 24 May 2012

Is the map you linked the exact location? I vaguely remember there being something crag-like in those trees at the centre of that map but it was a long time ago. I don't remember seeing anything upto 10m or so though.
 robin mueller 24 May 2012
In reply to Ron247:

Yeah, that's the spot. I don't know the exact height, but too high for bouldering!
 Ron247 24 May 2012

I'll definitely check it out next time I'm in the area then. Unfortunately I'm pretty new to climbing and my outdoor experience is pretty much limited to bouldering at the moment but it'll still be interesting to have a look.

Thanks for the info.
 robin mueller 24 May 2012
In reply to Ron247:

There is some bouldering potential as well, but it needs cleaning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...