UKC

UKC Photo Critique group

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 09 Jun 2012
I've recently started a photo critique group at my local pub where around 6-8 photographers meet up and critique each others photos . The idea is that everyone brings 4 shots , all from different categories of photography i.e. NOT 4 landscapes , or 4 climbing shots but maybe 1 portrait , one landscape , one sport/action , one abstract /still life etc . while its slightly masochistic to have others tear your work apart and leave it lying in a dejected heap of unwanted pixels on the pub floor its also strangely constructive and has helped me see things i had previously not noticed .

I wondered if this would work on line on UKC . not 100% sure if the format would work online but i think it might. Maybe someone puts up 4 shots and anyone that critiques has to be prepared to put 4 of their own shots up for comment/abuse . It could get really messy and i would suggest that each set of 4 photos gets a few days for comment before anyone else puts another set up . also , not sure if the numbers would need to be limited as i don't think it would work if 100s of people were all trying to critique and post at the same time .

let me know if this sounds like something that rings your bell and lets see how we can move it forward . Any volunteers for posting first ?
 Dan Lane 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

There was one a while ago that lasted quite a long time, I'm sure there will be the same bunch of people will be along soon to give their opinion on your idea.
 Tall Clare 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Yep. The one that seems to be working at the moment, though it's not strictly a critique group, is the 'pictures you've taken this week' thread.

There have been flickr groups for UKC members for this, and the weekly photo crit group you mention, which did last for a good few weeks.

It's not that relevant for me because a) I don't tend to photograph climbers, and b) I'm a film photographer so I move at a snail's pace, but I still think they're interesting threads when they do appear.
 HarmM 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: you could have a go making a group on flickr lot easyer than the "photos you've taken this week" thread as you can actually see the photo and comment at the same time.

but im willing to give it a go if your intrested
In reply to HarmM: I really like the flickr group idea and I'd be well up for taking part
 Tall Clare 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

This was the last Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/636574@N25/

N.b. it was called the UKC group but the UKC Powers That Be pointed out that as there's a gallery function on here, please could the name of the Flickr group be changed. Not sure how they'd feel about it nowadays, as they have a UKC facebook page...
 HarmM 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: just call it monthly photo critque/competion

but this is worth reading before it gets set up

http://www.flickr.com/groups/636574@N25/discuss/72157606472244900/

these were the problems people had with the group
 Tall Clare 09 Jun 2012
In reply to HarmM:

Could just resurrect that one and ditch the 'monthly theme'? I'm happy to resign my moderatorship/hand it over to someone else. I don't use Flickr anywhere near as much as I used to...
 halo 09 Jun 2012
In reply to HarmM:
> (In reply to Nadir khan) you could have a go making a group on flickr lot easyer than the "photos you've taken this week" thread as you can actually see the photo and comment at the same time.
>
> but im willing to give it a go if your intrested

Have to agree with you Max on this one, a lot easier not only that but the response and feedback will be a lot broader.

I started a group http://www.flickr.com/groups/adayphotographed/ I now have over 173 members and it is still growing. So if you have any shots from May 15 2012 taken only on this date, you could join and submit your images to the group.

David
 halo 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Max Harms)
>
> Could just resurrect that one and ditch the 'monthly theme'? I'm happy to resign my moderatorship/hand it over to someone else. I don't use Flickr anywhere near as much as I used to...

You should get back on Flickr, so many sharing capabilities and not only that...a new lay out too.
 halo 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: It's all red tape Nick, they don't own the tag line United Kingdom...with my group for Aday.org I was given permission to share it on Flickr...thus this was born

http://www.flickr.com/groups/adayphotographed/ Your welcome to join!

David
 Tall Clare 09 Jun 2012
In reply to halo:

Yeah... I'm not taking so many pictures now, and I need to rebuild my own site Faff faff faff... you've reminded me I've some waiting to scan and upload to Flickr though so I'll do that tonight
 halo 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to halo)
>
> Yeah... I'm not taking so many pictures now, and I need to rebuild my own site Faff faff faff... you've reminded me I've some waiting to scan and upload to Flickr though so I'll do that tonight

Well it's better than watching the footie!
 Anni 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

I think its a great idea, be good to get it organised either using Claires old group or a new one?
 HarmM 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: use the current one but share the administration among 3 or four people and do fourtnightly projects

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...