UKC

Le tour 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 12 Jun 2012
Anyone going to see it this year then ?

What stage(s)will you be watching ??
 AdCo82 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:

Don't make me jealous, I want to go so much!!!!
 bigbobbyking 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:

Will probably cycle over to watch the finish in Bellegarde.
 mhawk 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100: Hopefully gonna see the TT in Besancon and the stage before or after. Think that could be the day that decides it for Wiggo.
 Liam M 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100: We're heading out for stages 2-5 ( I think) and hopefully pootling around the border area and across some Roubaix pave whilst out there. I'm getting rather excited.
OP Newbuild100 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Liam M: It will be my first time over there to watch.
Im going on motorcycle to hopefully make it easier to get on some of the hillier stages.

Looking forward to it, verily muchly.
 mhawk 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100: Any tips on what to do as it will be my first time. We will be camping, will this be hard to find near the stages or will there be plenty available in anticipation of crowds?
 LastBoyScout 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:

Doing the Etape Act Deux and will stay over to see the pros go past.
 Run_Ross_Run 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:

I'll be there 8th July for the belfort/porrentruy stage in the Alps and hopefully 15th/18th/19th in the pyrenees.

Even the wife is looking forward to it, so much so that she's got a massive Welsh flag to stick on the motorhome.
 David Hooper 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100: just the TV for me I'm afraid,but I may be cheering myself up by buying an Orange Carbo sportive bike in the next couple of weeks
OP Newbuild100 12 Jun 2012
In reply to rampantchopper: Im lead to believe you have to get to the hilly stages early, perhaps 2 or 3 days early worse case scenario.

Heres a link to a site on stage 11 that I thought about stopping on, but it was full weeks ago (Its on one of the big cols)

What stage are you heading to Rampant ???
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2012
In reply to rampantchopper:

Not sure about the camping, but the main tip from me would be plan to get where you want to watch early.... like hours early, if you're watching on a mountain especially the popular areas, then the day before or very early hours and bivi/wild camp near by perhaps. Take lots of food and wine, and enjoy the atmosphere with all the other spectators you get some real characters from all sorts of countries.

I'm not going this year as I'm doing LEJOG while it's on, but when I've seen it previous years, even on mid stage flat areas, the locals all tend to be out with little tables of food a few hours in advance of the race, making it a bit of a street party atmosphere.

I've seen the finish in paris 3 times, and would recomend the corner of the place de la concorde nearest the river as it means you see them come past you, and you see them go back up the champs elysee on the opposite side on each lap. There's also walls and things to perch on to get a better view, and food/drink stands down below on the river - this does require at least 5 hours of keeping your place though!
 Tiberius 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:

Will be going to Paris again, wanted to go see a mountain stage but doubt I'll have time unfortunately.
 mhawk 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100: Probably the TT in Besancon and the stage before or after that, although will play it by ear as heading over for two weeks with climbing,TdF and days out on the bike planned too.
 john arran 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:

I'll be here (Ariège) on 15th July when it comes through Tarascon just a few km from here then heads over a few cols and comes back to finish in Foix just 20km away. Haven't formed a detailed plan yet but saw the finish on the Plateau de Beille last year just up the road from here and it was brilliant. Cycled and walked up with one of our guests just in time for the Caravan to come past and had a great time.

In reply to john arran: Unfortunately it looks like Schelck is out. It looks like he broke his pelvis/vertebrae in his Dalphiné crash.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-reported-to-be-out-of-tour-de-...

Which will probably make the mountains less interesting.
 Flatlander 13 Jun 2012
In reply to a concerned citizen:

just read that to, good news for wiggins?
 Mr Powly 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Flatlander:

what's the point in winning if none of the competition is there?
 mattrm 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Mr Powly:

I wouldn't say Schleck is on form at the moment, so wouldn't expect him to be 'the competition' anyway. Cadel is probably the main threat this year. I don't think Sky will have it all their way, by any stretch.
 DaveHK 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Mr Powly:
> (In reply to endless winter)
>
> what's the point in winning if none of the competition is there?

If you do a winter route in fat / easy nick do you worry about that? I don't I just take the tick!

Tiberius 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Mr Powly:

Neither of the Schlecks were going to provide much competition this year. All the real competition is still there, Evens, Sanchez, Wiggo and a few others.
 Enty 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Mr Powly:
> (In reply to endless winter)
>

Ha ha. I've had a few results when a few of the local big hitters have been absent. Do I give a shit? No!! You gotta be in it to win it!

E

Swirly 13 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> but the main tip from me would be plan to get where you want to watch early.... like hours early, if you're watching on a mountain especially the popular areas, then the day before or very early hours and bivi/wild camp near by perhaps.

People always say this and last year I was told there was no way I'd get a place on the Alpe D'Huez unless I turned up a few days before. What actually happened was I rode over at about 9 am on the day with enough time to ride all the way up the Alpe and back down to a decent spot. There were still people turning (on bike/foot) up 2 hours before the leaders got to us.

Tiberius 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Swirly:
> People always say this and last year I was told there was no way I'd get a place on the Alpe D'Huez ...

Same in Paris, quite easy to get a place right on the barriers on the Champs just a few hours before they arrive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...