UKC

Please help! big wall climbing uk routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbon101 14 Jun 2012
I am wanting to do my first big wall climb, around 100 meters or more but i really cant find any routes in the uk that offer that.

can some one please help give me some nice vdiff or below grade routes for a big wall climb in the uk?
i live in Sheffield around the peak district, as far as i know there biggest you can get there are around 20 to 25 meters.

please help by giving me a few nice routes, please include the area and any information i may need to get there, or about the climb!

thanks
shaun
In reply to climbingpartnerwanted: There's nothing in the UK that requires you to take a planned bivvy (unless you really want to) ergo, there are no big walls. what you will find plenty of are long mountaineering routes that require a different set of skills than big wall climbing.
climbon101 14 Jun 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: well i kind of mean maybe a big wall aid climb or something like that.

i want to try something new.

any ideas
In reply to climbingpartnerwanted: nope. you need to head abroad for that sort of thing
 tony 14 Jun 2012
In reply to climbingpartnerwanted:

Are you sure you mean big walls? Are you possibly getting it mixed with multi-pitch?

Apologies if this seems a bit obvious, but 100m doesn't really count as a big wall.
 Ramblin dave 14 Jun 2012
Assuming you mean "big long easy multipitch" rather than actual "big wall", I'd recommend having a look at Dan Bailey's Mountain Ridges books (Scotland and England Wales & Ireland) which are full of stuff from easy scrambles up to low to mid grade rock routes. There's plenty to inspire you in there.
 HIGHTOWER 14 Jun 2012

There's plenty of long routes, over 100m and in your grade, in North Wales, The Lakes and Scotland.

As mentioned above big wall routes generally refer to routes that tend to take more than a day.
 Andy Hardy 14 Jun 2012
Are you looking at this as training for the Troll wall, by any chance?
climbon101 14 Jun 2012
In reply to tony: yes thats what i meant i had a mind blank :P
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Jun 2012

You seem confused, do you want to do a long VDiff, or a long aid route? Plenty of the former in the UK but not the latter.

Chris

PS "Big Wall" is usually used for routes that takes several days to complete rather than anything to do (specifically) with the height and/or grade.
In reply to climbingpartnerwanted: Ahh 'I see', said the blind man!

You need to get to wales/Lake district/Scotland.
 ericinbristol 14 Jun 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:

'troll' wall indeed...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...