UKC

Recommend me a rowing machine please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Hooper 20 Jun 2012
Hi guys

Gonna do my own Internet research as well but UKC usually comes up trumps with queries like this.

I've heard somewhere that the Concept 2 (?) is the one to go for. Is that correct or are there others to consider? Getting a good machine is more important than price issues.

Also am I right in thinking that they exercise ALL your muscle groups,arms,legs,back and core. Sounds too good to be true.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David
 Reach>Talent 20 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:
I'm not an expert on rowing machines but the concept2 ones I've used seem to be pretty well constructed and popular with a lot of gyms. One thing to say is that they aren't the best if you are really long legged, the tracks could really do with being an inch or two longer but this is only really an issue if you are very tall
 nniff 20 Jun 2012

Concept 2 all thw way.

I can't say that I've thought about which muscle groups it exercises - I suppose it does do most, but clearly some more than others.

Make sure that you watch Concept2's video to get your technique right and practice to make sure that you get a good action before really throwing yourself at it - if you don't, you do run a higher risk of injury and it will be a far less rewarding form of exercise.
 George Ormerod 20 Jun 2012

Concept 2 all the way David. The older models are fine and there's a thriving trade in second hand ones as they're bomb proof (and you can buy spares pretty easily). I got one for £500, the only trouble is that they don't seem to come up too often in the NW. Try ebay.
 MG 20 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Note you could/can hire Concept II ones from the company at reasonable rates.
 mrchewy 20 Jun 2012
A kayak?
 Skyfall 20 Jun 2012

Yes, concept 2. As said, the old models are fine and in fact I think were better in some respects.

It's the hardest all over exercise I do in the gym and I would think it probably does exercise most large muscle groups to a greateror lesser extent.
 balmybaldwin 20 Jun 2012

You really are going flat out on the fitness thing at the mo aren't you!
 Banned User 77 20 Jun 2012
>
>
> Also am I right in thinking that they exercise ALL your muscle groups,arms,legs,back and core. Sounds too good to be true.
>

Probably the best all over body work out.. can't think of many others which would work your CV system and your muscles like that..
 MJ 20 Jun 2012

I use the UKC forums for all my rowing needs...
 David Ponting 20 Jun 2012
As someone involved with a college boat club, the only option appears to be Concept 2s - others are never even mentioned!

In terms of exercise, if you do it properly, which most don't (all lightweight (<59kg) female rowers and even any coxes who know how to row can wipe the floor with even the strongest non-rower flailing on a rowing machine, just through technique!), it should exercise all the muscles, but the main power needs to come from your legs.

Look up the correct stroke online (or watch the olympics!); the basic pattern is (on the 'drive', when you pull back): Straighten the legs (thighs, but also core to avoid "bum-shoving", which wastes the power), lean back (back), follow through with the arms (arms), then reverse (so arms/core/legs) to go forwards again.

http://www.britishrowing.org/taking-part/rowing-basics/rowing-stroke
 earlsdonwhu 20 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Concept 2 without a doubt. Gyms ands Sports clubs quite often sell off reconditioned ones at reasonable prices. The spares are easy to order and instal if needed. If you think UKC is anal, then get on to the Concept 2 training forums!
OP David Hooper 20 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: yep - or I could just lie here all day on the sofa in my dressing gown with an invalids mindset.

Valar morghulis.
 SARS 21 Jun 2012

You might want to look into rowperfect as well as c2s. These are better if you care about technique - you can hook up computers to get loads of rowing stats including power curves which show how good your rowing technique is.
 dek 21 Jun 2012
It's worth keeping an eye on Gumtree for sale ads. Lots of people give up their fitness regime, and want rid of the kit.
 bignige 21 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Have a look at waterrower ( I think thats what is called) look fantastic and are very quiet. You can watch tv while rowing!
OP David Hooper 21 Jun 2012
In reply to bignige: I've seen the water rower.very aesthetic,like a wooden sculpture,withat big tank of water.

I think they would have to stay in one place all the time,where I believe you can fold and store the Concept.
OP David Hooper 21 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: thanks for the pretty unanimous advice folks.
Concept 2 it is then .

One last question - anyone know the difference between the 3 current models?

Obviously I will browse their website,but UKC feedback is usually invaluable.

Cheers

David
 Dave B 21 Jun 2012

While the concept 2 is a fantastic and very sturdy machine it is very noisy, which is where the water rower wins out. For home use, the water rower has some real proponents and benefits.

Rowing is really good, but is pretty intense on your body. You are also exercising 'sitting down', so shortening of the hip flexors can be pretty intense, and its tough on the lower back. Its not the most natural of positions to work in. The same could be said of cycling, though, so just take care is all I'd say.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...