UKC

first exepdition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anthonyh 23 Jun 2012

Hello
Im looking for ideas for a first expedition, im thinking something in the alps for 7-10days but not sure. these may not be an expedition but i have to start some where

Anthony
 Hannes 23 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh: you're quite right that the alps isn't exactly an expedition but what are you actually looking to do? Climb rock, walk up mountains? you need to tell us a lot more than that to be able to give you any ideas
anthonyh 23 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh:

Im not looking for rock climbing but walking, maybe snow-shoeing, wild camping. im not to worried about massive height grain. the reason i said the alps is becouse so far by ive mainly done stuff in the uk and ireland and i need to keep cost down. i have heard poeple saying that poland and morocco are becomming the place to go. Id love to go to green land or the north pole but i dont have the money to go there for about 2months
 lowersharpnose 23 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh:

Aren't you after a holiday with some snow and contours as opposed to an expedition?
 David Hooper 23 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh: either morocco or Iceland would give you a good mountain trekking expedition. Morocco has the advantage of being very cheap when you are there plus a fabulous history,culture and people
 Hannes 24 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh: It sounds like a trip to Norway would suit you apart from the cheap bit. Maybe the Swedish side would be more interesting then as it is probably going to come out cheaper.

Transylvania I hear is nice for walking (no joke, promise) and as is much of eastern Europe, probably fairly cheap as well.
 lowersharpnose 24 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh:

How about the GR10?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_10_(France)

The GR 10 is a French GR footpath, or hiking trail, that runs the length of the Pyrenees Mountains. It roughly parallels the French-Spanish border on the French side.

This variation is good scenery :

Some alternatives offer more scenic choices, for example the alternative route from Cauterets to Luz-Saint-Sauveur takes in Pont d'Espagne, the Refuge Oulettes de Gaube, the Refuge Baysellance, Gavarnie, Gedre and Pragneres, and offers more spectacular mountain scenery.
almost sane 24 Jun 2012
In reply to anthonyh:
If you are wanting to travel through some overseas mountains for a week or more, then I recommend the Pyrenees. These tend to be quieter than the Alps, and feel a bit "wilder." It feels easier to get away from roads and lifts in the Pyrenees than the Alps.

Another option is Norway. There are cheap flights to get there, and if you book tickets early enough then trains are cheap too.
Accommodation and food are expensive, but if you plan to wild camp or stay in the DNT huts, then that is not such a problem. Norway is like Scotland - no restrictions on wild camping, unlike most of the Alps. Norway also has more remote walks and treks than in the Alps or the Pyrenees. The mountains are not so high, but because it is so far north you still get plenty of glaciers if you choose the correct destination.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...