UKC

Road/Mtb Pedals and Cleats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Hutton 02 Jul 2012
Help! Finally bought some road shoes as I am really getting into it. And am now horrified to see that the screw holes for the cleats won't fit my mtb style cleats. I assume I will need new pedals? Worse thing is that I have just bought new pedals - PD-A520 as I thought the mtb pedals looked awful on the bike...

Can anyone think of a solution? Does one exist? Or am I stuck with buying a second pair of new pedals in 6 weeks?
In reply to Tom Hutton:

You can get an adapter plate for the shoes.

It fiits the three-hole road shoe patern and allows you to fit a MTB cleat.
Sort of defeats the object of getting road shoes.

It's worth getting decent road pedals though.
 mike123 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton: road shoes along with road pedals make a massive difference. i got these a couple of months ago having had spd s on my road bike, well worth the money.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Shimano-Clipless-Spd-SL-57...
 gear boy 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton: swap your shoes to ones with 2 hole SPD

the pedals you bought are designed to be used with touring shoes which have a deep recess for the cleat so you dont clitter clatter around when you walk on them

you can have road shoes with 2 hole like shimano 077 or 087 or get a touring shoe, some look a bit roadie others look like trainers (pearl izumi)
 David Hooper 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton: hey tom - now I'm over the jaundice and getting the fitness back,we must get together for some rides,I'm really hungry for it again.

I've just ordered some carbon iclick pedals (Look or Time?) which get good reviews. I've partnered them with spesh s works shoes which do up with a tensioned metal cable which is incredible supportive and comfy at the same time. I've paid a bit extra to get a retro plain black leather pair rather than the standard shiny being finish.

The bike shop is setting it all up for me tomorrow then I will be having an hour spin,then take them back for fine tuning. Really good customer service. I'll let you know how I get on as I've never worn cleats in my life. Confirmed flats user on the MTB.

PS Orange are building me a special one off custom built Gyro ( smug smile)

Talk soon and I hope your footwear needs are satisfactorily resolved.
 balmybaldwin 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton:

I strongly suggest putting the SPD's on Ebay (if you can't return or trade them in?) and getting some proper road pedals, I changed over in march, and they give you such a better platform to ride on, you feel much more connected to the bike, especially when climbing out of the saddle.
peakyg 02 Jul 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Why are road pedals so much better then? Having been mountain biking for years, I've just got myself a road bike for a mixture of quick rides, commuting and hopefully touring. The bike came with strapped pedals (terrible) so I'm planning to put something decent on it (I'm used to being attached to my mountain bike!).
Ideally, I would like to get pedals compatible with my existing MTB shoes - so I don't have to have different shoes. So is there a good reason I shouldn't get SPDs?
 balmybaldwin 02 Jul 2012
In reply to peakyg:

If you are aiming to have one pair of shoes, then SPDs are the obvious answer, however road shoes are lighter and more compact with the benefits that brings, but the biggest thing is the size of the cleat and the stability it gives your foot on the pedals when pushing the bigger gears up hills with my old spds I almost felt like my shoes were about to "fall out" of the pedals, and i suppose there was a concious effort required to keep my feet straight where as the spd-sls I now use on the road bike are so much firmer all the effort goes into spinning the pedals

That may not make too much sense, but it's how it feels to me - I feel better connected to the bike.
loopyone 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton: I have SPD Sl pedals and shoes and i still find the amount of movement in them a bit disconcerting when out of the saddle.
 Toby_W 03 Jul 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Good choice on the shoes. I've had three pairs of those now and will stick with them forever. Nothing better imo.
Cheers
Toby
OP Tom Hutton 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton: Thanks all for the comments, and David - yes it would be great although I'm a little more budget basement than you I'm afraid. Seems I am going to buying some pedals then...
 gear boy 03 Jul 2012
In reply to tatty112: yellow or red cleat?
 woolsack 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Tom Hutton: I was all up to buy some Speedplay pedals until I learnt what a bunch of dirty shits they have been towards their customers. Google 'speedplay sues customers' if you want to understand what owning a pair of these could be like. There is a long thread on Weight Weenies

I bought the Shimano SPD SL 105's.
loopyone 03 Jul 2012
In reply to gear boy: Yellow
loopyone 03 Jul 2012
In reply to gear boy: Ah i see why you ask, i didn't realise you could get red cleats that have no float.
Rigid Raider 05 Jul 2012
The Shimano shoes and SPD cleats and pedals I have on my mountain bike are more than double the weight of the Shimano shoes and Look Keo cleats and pedals I have on the roadie.

The SPDs are much easier to use than the Keos, which can be a pain in the arse to use. However the road setup is better on long trips when you might stay clipped in for an hour or longer and it gives you a very firm platform when you're out of the saddle.

Plenty of people use SPDs for mountain and road bike but I've only once seen road pedals on a mountain bike.
 gear boy 11 Jul 2012
In reply to tatty112: if you get red cleats, makee sure the are set up correctly otherwise you will feel it tweaking your knee amongst other things

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...