UKC

Landscape photograper of the year...who's entered?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Folks, although I don't think I've got a chance in hell of getting anything shortlisted I've entered the LPOY comp for the first time as you've got to be in it to win it etc

I know Nadir Kahn has also entered and was wondering if any of the other UKC photographers are having a go?
 Brian 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:It appears I have ran out of time for this year !!
 Nadir khan 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: i sent my lot of but just after i did i took this which I think is better than some of the other stuff so was kicking myself . you will defo get shortlisted , the final cut is the hard bit . Good luck

http://nadirkhanphotography.co.uk/blog/?attachment_id=494
 icnoble 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: Just had a look at your website, very impressive
 Sean Kelly 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: You can always enter that shot next year as there is a 5 year limit on entries. I think the 'Shard' looks impressive in your photo but the rest of the image is average. To get shortlisted the image has to have something extra. Then again when I saw the winning entry 2 years back you do wonder what the judges are thinking. At the end of the day it is all down to the Judges' personal preference. If contemplating entry a good tip is to look at what got into the book published with each competition. The winner 3 years back had a lot of manipulation, so following criticism, there was a move away from too much Photoshopping. Also as it is essentially a 'Landscape' photo comp thatey are not too keen on figures appearing in the image. Last year a winter landscape was the outright winner, so don't expect the same this year. Possibly something about our unique weather we have be enduring. You really have to try and read their minds.
Then again, be true to yourself about what your photography is really all about. Best of luck.
Duncan_Andison 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Yeah, entered a few shots this year.... be nice to get shortlisted, anything else is a bonus!
 Nadir khan 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Sean Kelly: you're right Sean , the winner is something quite underwhelming , last years book was probably the poorest so far , there was even a photo with unedited dust spots on it !. ah well , lets wait and see i suppose
In reply to Nadir khan and Sean Kelly: I think second guessing what the judges want might lead to a bout of tail chasing so I've just done what I do and hope for the best...my expectations are very low as it seems to me that many successful images in the competition feel rather sanitised with no real emotion or love for the subject matter, that's my impression anyway!

When do they usually start informing folk that they've been shortlisted?
 Nadir khan 25 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Nice one , I didn't even get shortlisted > good luck , I like the second one
Duncan_Andison 25 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Congrats, like them all but the second one is a stunner. Good luck!!

No shortlisting for myself this year either.
In reply to Duncan_Andison and Nadir kahn: That sucks and I'm very surprised, although that's two brilliant photographers less to worry about!

I'll let you know how it goes but I don't think I'll be going any further...let's all try again next year
Duncan_Andison 25 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: You have every chance, great shots and it would be excellent to have someone from UKC in the book!!! So here's hoping!

Next stop, Outdoor Photographer of the Year
 Nadir khan 25 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: I was shortlisted last year with a photo that was nothing special , i thought my stuff was much better this year but not even a sniff
 Nadir khan 25 Jul 2012
In reply to Duncan_Andison: really like your work Duncan , thought the talisker bay shots were great . it'll be interesting to see how the book turns out this year
Duncan_Andison 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: Cheers Nadir, you have more than a few belting shots yourself. The shard one is a beauty.

It will be interesting to see how the book turns out, as Sean has already mentioned, it can be a bit of a lottery as it all depends on what they are looking for but they are unlikely to go for shots that won categories etc last year. Anyway, it keeps us pushing harder to improve. If it was easy we wouldn't appreciate the success when it comes and hopefully it will for all of us at some point!
 Siward 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Love the Cairngorm one,

However you do realise that you are cheating in getting out into the Scottish hills don't you? Too beautiful you see...
In reply to Siward: Oh come on, there's a lot of competition so I had to stack the odds in my favour!
 chris fox 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Sweet shots Nicholas, i like the mood of shot 1 and shot 2 is just fantastic lighting.
Good luck
 Sean Kelly 26 Jul 2012
In reply to chris fox: Thanks Chris, btw, t'was nice to meet you a few weeks ago
In reply to Sean Kelly: That's really quite beautiful Sean. Like you my shortlisted shots were not the ones I imagined the judges might like, maybe it's because they're a little bit different from the many Buachaille Etive Mors, Llanddwyn Island, Old Man of Storr or milky water long exposures they must get inundated with!

Anyhow, I'll be happy if I make the book but I'm not holding my breath...good luck with your beautiful shot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...