UKC

Kashmir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blinder 06 Aug 2012
Anybody been skiing here? Worth the long flight? Thinking about going at Christmas/ New year. Looks like it could be fun.
 Rachel Slater 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Blinder:

I was also considering going there around New Year but a bit apprehensive about the quality of equipment we'd have to rent. Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. The slopes look amazing though.
OP Blinder 07 Aug 2012
In reply to r fizzle: would it not be possible to take your kit out there? Or are you traveling already
 mike123 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Blinder: have you seen the video (i think it was on here, or linked to from here) of two women free skiers in kashmir ? very watchable.i have nt skied there but have been a few times, i reckon it would be a great short trip and relatively simple to organise. i would still be a bit cautious of safety outside of srinagar - gulmarg .
 The Iain 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Blinder: The nice chap at SnowChasers was there in the '11 season, I can't remember how much there was about how he found it but it might make for some interesting reading and tips...
http://snowchasers.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Gulmarg
 ben b 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Blinder: My bro-in-law went with tele gear and said the "resort" was amazing - amazing snow, dhal baht for breakfast and boys with AK-47s everywhere. Just amazing skiing but 7 days of curry three times a day was like some kind of aversion therapy. Not sure what the security situation is now - may be difficult to get insurers to cover you these days....
b
Calski 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Blinder: Glenmore Lodge used to run trips there and it looked amazing in the pictures that Ian Sherrington used in slides.

Also I think that PYB have a trip planned there for 2013, so presumably have a wealth of useful information.

Rachel Slater 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Blinder: It would be part of a larger trip so I wouldn't be able to take equipment.
lee johnson 12 Aug 2012
In reply to r fizzle: have skied down the road in the kullu valley and you could rent rear entry boots, all in one 80's ski suits and skis to match. Take your own!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...