UKC

The Jura

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm heading over to France to the Jura for a week or so. I'm won't be climbing but I'm looking for suggestions for

i) Day walks
ii) Campsites
iii) Other cool stuff to do/see
iv) Any books featuring the above.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Dave
 Doug 20 Aug 2012
In reply to mostly harmless: I spent last week in the Jura, mostly day walks although some sightseeing as my partners not able to walk much at the moment. The most alpine part is the Crete du Neige which I walked up from Lelex & took a detour to the slightly lower summit of the Reculet. I'd recommend this as a good day with (if you are lucky) views over Lake Geneva to Mt Blanc. The cable car from Lelex would make this much shorter but I think it only operates at weekends in the summer. There are also some obvious walks from the nearby Col du Faucille which you can drive to.

On a more sightseeing theme, the saltworks at Salin are worth a visit

The guide book I've used for visits is Michel Blant's "Le Jura - Les paysages, la vie sauvage, les terroirs" but its a guide to the natural history rather than a walking guide.
 Doug 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mostly harmless: Thinking back to other visits, a couple of other places I've enjoyed included
- les Cascades du Hérisson - a series of waterfalls in a gorge which can be accessed from above, below or near its mid point.
- Baume les Messieurs - former monastery in limestone cirque

Also good cheese & wine to taste (& visit vineyards & 'fruitières if that interests you).
In reply to Doug: Thanks Doug, any idea about camping or are the campsites plentiful enough just to pitch up and find one?

Cheers

Dave
 Doug 22 Aug 2012
In reply to mostly harmless: My partner refuses to camp so we've always stayed in B&Bs, cheap hotels, etc. But as we've always found a room very easily, even last week which is the busiest period of the French summer holidays. I guess camp sites would be similar.
 gingerdave13 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Doug:

> On a more sightseeing theme, the saltworks at Salin are worth a visit

I too remember visiting a salt mine in the area when staying in the jura and it was pretty darned cool!

The rest was a conservation holiday so I was ‘working’ for the national park rangers.
 robert-hutton 22 Aug 2012
In reply to mostly harmless:
Hi Just come back from the Jura area we camped at Labergement-Sainte-Marie www.camping-lac-remoray.com
It is a basic nice campsite by the lake with plenty to do in the area. The area is quite high at 1000m so presume summer is quite short but a stunning area
Some nice walks in the Mont d'O area with views onto Mont Blanc and Swiss Alps

We went to the les Cascades du Hérisson which was like a series of dry stone steps due to a dry summer
Hope you have a good time
Rob
 deepstar 22 Aug 2012
 Darron 23 Aug 2012
In reply to mostly harmless:

I can highly recommend the camping near (just north) of Longchaumois. Quiet, nice spot. Good walking. High so cooler.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...