UKC

Malcolm X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 26 Aug 2012
I have listened many times to his speech "The Ballot or the Bullet" which is very interesting. Whilst I don't agree with some of what he says the energy he conveyed as a speaker is impressive.

Can anyone recommend a good, authoritative, book about him?
 gd303uk 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Saor Alba: Check out the final speeches book
OP Cuthbert 27 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Thanks.
Old Skooled 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

Authoratative? Not sure about that, but the autobiography is well worth reading.
 David Hooper 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Saor Alba: All i have seen ins the film Cry Freeedom which is is well worth a evn thoughb it is very much from the point of view ofthe white journalists
 Chris the Tall 29 Aug 2012
In reply to David Hooper:
Cry Freedom was about Steve Biko.
Donald Wood's book, on which the film was based, is excellant, but the film makers decided to make him the main character, rather than Biko.

My understanding is that Malcolm X was rather more radical
 flaneur 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

Start with The Autobiography. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Autobiography_of_Malcolm_X

This was written by Alex Haley from conversations with Malcoim X. There was significant editorial input arguably making the subject more attractive to a mainstream audience but it is still the closest to the original source.

Spike Lee's film was largely based on it.
Pan Ron 29 Aug 2012
In reply to flaneur:

Not that I've read any other books on him, I agree that this one was very good. I really had negligible interest in him or in autobiographies in general, but found his to be fascinating. An interesting slice of 1920s-60s America and an insight in to the man's mind (his extremism, energy and eventual moderation).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...