UKC

good places to live in north yorks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fxceltic 06 Sep 2012
if I was considering a move to this part of the country, where are the nicer areas? I would have a preference for being close to the moors and not far from the coast, but dont want to live in a big place like Scarborough, for example

I dont know the villages of the area so suggestions would be helpful.

Want to be somewhere where there are decent schools, climbing nearby, good bike riding to be had, close (circa 15 miles) to coast, that type of thing.

Geographically somewhere like Pickering or Snainton look like a good location, but having never been to these places Ive no idea what they are like.

ta
In reply to fxceltic:

There a so many nice places to live in N Yorks. Money will be the big deciding factor for some though...some areas are super expensive.

Pickering is nice, big enough to have a couple of decent restaurants and a few good pubs, but not so big that it loses that market town feel.

Knaresborough is also nice, but a good bit further from the coast.

Pocklington is awesome and has a fantastic school nearby, but can be very expensive to buy there.
fxceltic 06 Sep 2012
In reply to professionalwreckhead:
moneys always an issue, hence staying away from places like York, Harrogate etc, I can get a 4 bed detached or semi for what I would be looking at paying somewhere more rural.

I'll have a look at pocklington...
fxceltic 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic: pocklington seems to have little I would be interested in at a price I would want to pay... as you said!
In reply to fxceltic:

I think much of it is because of Pocklington School, which I'm led to believe is one of the best around.

Worth heading to Pickering for the weekend, it has a bit of everything. A couple of friends have a B&B there which is really nice. Mike is a mtb guide too and can show you the local riding. They have a good social life there, both as adults and a family. Their B&B is called Eleven Westgate. Go down for a couple of days and see what you think.
fxceltic 06 Sep 2012
In reply to professionalwreckhead: cheers for the help, its early stages but I will bear this in mind as an option.
fxceltic 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic: bump - any other suggestions?
 Tall Clare 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

Memories from my late teenage years - Hutton-le-Hole's a nice village, but I suspect it's expensive, and Kirbymoorside might be worth a look too.
 Jerry67 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic: Malton maybe, or Kirby Moorside or the villages around those two. Helmsley is nice, but maybe a bit far from the coast, also quite expensive.
J
 another_mark 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic: If you're looking at cheaper than Harrogate/York then what about the areas towards Teesside?

Stokesley? Great Ayton? and the A19 corridor towards Northallerton/Thirsk?

That sort of area? Still reasonably near the coast, Scugdale is a good climbing venue. Schools OK.

Glaisdale, Danby, Hutton-le-hole nice - but not sure about schools that way.
 Billhook 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
Close to the moors?? Near the coast?? A village???

Well you could try Staithes, Runswick bay, Whitby (OK not a village) or where I live Robin Hood's Bay.
Wiley Coyote2 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

I suspect Hutton-le-Hole would be hellish. Gorgeous to look at and has a massive outdoor museum where they have uprooted entire buildings from elsewhere and rebuilt them brick by brick. The upshot is that the place is heaving every sunny weekend.
 Blue Straggler 06 Sep 2012
In reply to another_mark:
> (In reply to fxceltic) If you're looking at cheaper than Harrogate/York then what about the areas towards Teesside?
>
> Stokesley? Great Ayton? and the A19 corridor towards Northallerton/Thirsk?
>
> That sort of area? Still reasonably near the coast, Scugdale is a good climbing venue. Schools OK.
>
> Glaisdale, Danby, Hutton-le-hole nice - but not sure about schools that way.

Don't Danby kids end up schooling at Guisborough if there's any ambition?
 Blue Straggler 06 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

Your requirements remind me of this

youtube.com/watch?v=W7ZrBCY9ipI&
 Billhook 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
Stone by stone as there's no brick there!!!!
 peter.corrigan 08 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic: Go to the other side. The Yorkshire Dales, grit and limestone (trad and bolts), not sure any of the other suggestions get anywhere close. Look at Skipton or Settle. Also good schools, both private and free.
 stewart murray 09 Sep 2012
In reply to fxceltic: Guisborough could be worth a look as could Saltburn or Marske on the coast. Prices will tend to be cheaper here as Teesside rather than North Yorkshire but with equally good access to moors and coast as places that have been mentioned.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...