UKC

Nottingham new climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 11 Sep 2012
There were rumours of a new climbing wall being built in Nottingham. These originally suggested opening in the autumn.

It has gone very quiet.

Conspiracy theorist friends of mine have suggested it was never anything more than a made up rumour in order to encourage the existing wall to spruce itself up a bit.

Anyone know if there is any truth in anything?
 MrFreekie 11 Sep 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

First week in October was the latest.

http://goo.gl/WCsH2
All I get from that link is "This content is currently unavailable". If it is really opening in three weeks it is awfully quiet!
 CarbonCopy 11 Sep 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi: I believe they are at the route setting stage, that came from their Facebook page.
 jimjimjim 11 Sep 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi: i hope it does make them spruce their ideas up either way. the routes stay the same for ages and we went there the other day to find all the lead walls out of action because they had hung up some sort of cargo net for kids. There are much better walls around for climbers. kids birthdays is what they're good at. i heard the new place is bouldering only....shame.
 Adam Lincoln 11 Sep 2012
Ok, that does look very cool, you'd think there would be some kind of announcement if it was at the route setting stage though!
 winhill 13 Sep 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to duchessofmalfi) i hope it does make them spruce their ideas up either way. the routes stay the same for ages and we went there the other day to find all the lead walls out of action because they had hung up some sort of cargo net for kids. There are much better walls around for climbers. kids birthdays is what they're good at.

Did you know that Nottingham Wall has contributed 25% of the current Team GB Youth Climbing Team?

That might make it the most successful training wall in the country.
 nicboarder 14 Sep 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi: The Depot Nottingham - It's a bouldering centre, same as Depot Leeds, which is one of best climbing walls I have ever been to. Check their FB page for progress update, think the walls are in and painting has begun.

Camm 14 Sep 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:
If it wasn't for Nottingham Climbing Centre I probably wouldn't be a climber now, I was one of those kids on the cargo nets at one point.
 Depot Climbing 14 Sep 2012
Thanks for the responses.

As folks have suggested The Depot is now almost complete and we should be in a position to open by the end of the first week in October. The video (posted above) shows about 50% of the overall climbing surface and we are confident that we are offering something for everyone. The response we have received from local climbers has been overwhelming with folks popping in daily to view the progress and encourage the team. We had a rather ambitious plan and I think we have exceeded what we initially thought we could deliver.

Once we get a 'nailed on' completion date we will announce it via UKC industry news. The Depot Nottingham website will be live soon with all the relevant info. As mentioned you can find us on Facebook and get timely updates if you wish.

With regards the comments on Nottingham Climbing centre I think its worth considering another point of view. The Depot will be a world-class bouldering centre with all the facilities that entails. The building is easily big enough that we could have had roped climbing. However, roped climbing is something that Nottingham Centre provides and we didn't have any motivation to step on their toes in this regard. As we know from Leeds, we will generate a lot of new interest in the sport and inn turn those people will look to get involved in other types of climbing and no doubt use the facilities that Nottingham Climbing centre provides. We have experienced this ourselves with the opening of the Barn in Bingley and Harrogate Climbing centre - both of these walls have had a positive impact on our Leeds business.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

The Depot Team
 jimjimjim 14 Sep 2012
In reply to danrock101: so what...that still doesn't stop me getting pissed off when I've paid my money and think next time I'll make the drive and join the decent climbers at the foundry. im just looking at it from my side mate...i don't care about yours.
 Camm 14 Sep 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:

ROFL
Thank f*ck for that
and ROFL again
 jimjimjim 15 Sep 2012
In reply to danrock101: then you're easily amused.
 Offwidth 15 Sep 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:

Another vote for Nottingham Climbing Centre, especially now the recent changes are bedding in.

If they are too busy with kids when we want to climb we boulder instead or have a coffee and a chat and wait an hour. Driving to Sheffield is expensive and you spend an extra hour and a half in the car at least.
 Camm 15 Sep 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
To get this thread back on track, I quite enjoyed The Depot at Leeds considering I don't go indoor climbing that much, but I'm looking forward to this one opening and I will certainly be down to try it out. Hopefully The Depot will attract people from out of Nottingham to, I know NCC does.
 andork123 15 Sep 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi: personally i think a bouldering only wall in nottingham is a fantastic idea-nottingham holds a lot of climbers and it feels odd that it only had the one centre-sheffield does fine with all there walls and look at how successful the climbing works is. I was almost put off going to notts uni because of the lack of bouldering despite it being a better uni than sheffield for my subject.

rather than people being territorial about there favorite wall just be thankful.
 Neil Amos 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Depot Climbing: a very carefully constructed reply and thanks you for that. There are many climbers in Nottingham and due to the fact that it has always been a 'one centre town' , there are many loyal customers and this can be felt in the palpable replies.

I believe that Nottingham is big enough for another wall especially when you consider the fact that one has ropes and the other not and that the new wall will generate new climbers.

I just hope that there is some communication when considering things like competition nights and special events.
In reply to Depot Climbing:

I saw that the Depot said it would open in the first week of October.

We're in the first week of October and no sign or word that it is opening - anyone know if it is delayed?
Bobz 03 Oct 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi: saw some facebook pics recently - the walls were up but still holdless - soon it looked like. i might have a scout on my way home, i only live 2 mins away...
 Depot Climbing 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobz:

The wall build is complete and setting starts tomorrow. The training boards and the circuit board have been set already. The centre is huge and as a result its going to take our team of setters roughly 7 days to complete 250 + problems. As it stands we are about 7-10 days away from opening.

You are welcome to pop your head in and say hello - just make sure you shout from the door before you walk in so that someone comes and shows you around safely.

As stated before we have loads of parking in a clearly lighted area and its a doodle to access.

Looking forward to seeing you all down here

Cheers

Steve
In reply to duchessofmalfi: This is going to be great. Nearest bouldering wall is Leicester which is pretty small and as I live in newark, Nottingham is easy peasy.
In reply to Depot Climbing: Sounds great, looking forward to checking the place out! =o)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...