UKC

OI NEWS: VIDEO: Camalot X4 — coming Spring 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Sep 2012
Camalot X4, 2 kbVIDEO: Introducing the Camalot X4—the latest addition to the gold-standard Camalot family.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4923
 CurlyStevo 12 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:
They look seriously nice bits of kit!
 Tommyads 12 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:
Given the price of C3's... Being a new product these will be about £70 each?

Or would it be similar to demon cams, being a first small cam for your rack and be less than C3's?

I hope there no more than £50 each! With pack deals 3 for 120...
 205Chris 12 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:

That comment on the video should probably be:

After months of design and development, and countless pitches of testing with BD athletes and employees.......we just ripped off the design of the old Aliens.
 CurlyStevo 12 Sep 2012
In reply to 205Chris:
improved on the design would be a fairer assessment. Anyway at first glance they look very nice, would be interested to see them in person and the specs (head width, expansion range and weight)
 gethin_allen 12 Sep 2012
In reply to 205Chris:
Did you miss the inventive bit about the effective double axle on one axle? Nothing like an alien in that respect and probably with better qc.
 Michael Gordon 13 Sep 2012
In reply to 205Chris:

I thought they looked quite like the Metolious Mastercams.
 205Chris 13 Sep 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to 205Chris)
> Did you miss the inventive bit about the effective double axle on one axle? Nothing like an alien in that respect and probably with better qc.

I said ripped off, not copied.

Rip off - Something that is clearly imitative or based on something else.

Sure, BD have made a few improvements but there's an uncanny resemblance to the old Aliens and since they're no longer made there's obviously a gap in the market that BD are keen to exploit.
 jimtitt 13 Sep 2012
In reply to 205Chris:
The original Aliens are now made by Fixe (hopefully better) and an improved version by Totem.
 TobyA 13 Sep 2012
In reply to 205Chris:

> but there's an uncanny resemblance to the old Aliens and since they're no longer made

I thought you could buy them again from Spain?

Anyway, it's a cam. It kinda looks like all other single stem cams. So it looks like a flexi friend. And flexi friends look like original friends just more bendy. What's your point caller?
 Michael Ryan 13 Sep 2012
In reply to 205Chris:

Here you are Chris

http://www.fixehardware.com/aliens.htm

Like what Jim said, David Wagoneer's widow sold CCH the maker of Aliens to Fixe in Spain.

Here's some great essays on the history of cams and nuts by Stéphane Pennequin....superb research and work.

http://needlesports.com/NeedleSports/nutsmuseum/camsstory.htm

Lots of the major climbing companies have been chasing the Alien allure...some have come to fruition, others abandoned.

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...