UKC

Project help/Photoshop help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LiamDobson 01 Oct 2012
For a project on my architecture course I am looking into trying to blend old historic photos of a site with ones taken in the present days.

sort of like these
http://www.buzzfeed.com/txblacklabel/blending-wwii-pictures-into-today-28m7

beyond making sure that you take the new photo from a similar place as the old one does anyone have any tips as to the best way to achieve this effect in photoshop? I assume you would just place the old photo onto a new layer, line them up and then erase around the sections you want to be the new photo on the layer below, if this makes sense. I imagine it isn't quite this easy though. Has anyone else tried this? How did it go?
 london_huddy 01 Oct 2012
In reply to LiamDobson:

Shouldn't be too complicated in terms of the post-processing: I'd do as you describe but would mask out the transition between layers rather than esasing it - i prefer non-destructive work-flow so I can change things later.

Not tried it, but getting framing right would probably be the tricky bit - correct focal length etc.
 MJ 01 Oct 2012
In reply to LiamDobson:

Layer masks might be a good option: -

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/layer-masks/
 Fraser 01 Oct 2012
In reply to MJ:

Layer masking is the way I'd do it - it'll give you a nice adjustable fade between the photos... but hindu's right, getting the correct focal length will be the main issue.
 london_huddy 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Fraser:

If the photos are old enough then at least you'll be able to guess what the focal length should be because it'll be been shot with a prime...

To the OP: Good luck and show us the results!
OP LiamDobson 01 Oct 2012
In reply to hindu: The photos I am working with are from the mid 30's early 40's what will this mean for the focal length?
 london_huddy 01 Oct 2012
In reply to LiamDobson:

I'm not a historic photographer (Tall Clare of this parish might be able to assist) but the most common primes, so far as I know are 20/24/28/35/50mm

Longer than that (85mm/105mm+) are probably less likely for what you're looking at I'd have though.

I've thought about a few ideas with this technique and my plan would be to ID the exact spot the photo was taken from, ID the frame boundaries and then work with Live View (rather than through the viewfinder because a of lot bodies don't have a 100% view through the view finder) and a few zooms based on the common focal lengths above to get it. I'd maybe think about shooting a little wider than needed to I could crop to give a little wiggle room in post.

Anyway, have fun!
OP LiamDobson 02 Oct 2012
In reply to LiamDobson: For those who were interested and those who gave advice here is the result of the first attempt I have made.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobsonliam/8047743789/

any comments are most definatly welcome as i have about 2 weeks to improve on this along with the others i am going to do.

Thank you
In reply to LiamDobson:

You don't need to know the focal length. You just have to stand at the right point and shoot a slightly wider shot.

The main thing will be to spot good perspective indicators. Straight on to a door way. The way tips of building line up etc.

You'll have to adjust the scale of the images to match anyway. If you shoot really wide then then you might not have enough resolution. But its unilikey that the modern image will be the one that holds bck the resolution, unless you accessing medium format or larger negatives
 Fraser 13 Oct 2012
In reply to LiamDobson:

That's a pretty good effort I'd say. The tutors won't be overly bothered by any graphic mismatch in the photo...it's your concept and design development they'll be interested in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...