UKC

gore tex or.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lukeanoble 01 Oct 2012
gore tex or e-vent or paramo..... Whats your opinion?

looking for a new waterproof for the wife

Generaly used in the uk, on the hills so waterpoofness..ness is important but so is durability and breathability.

the reason I ask is that my gore tex jacket has lasted ages and still really water proof, where as her e-vent jacket leaks like a sieve despite being well looked after but thought that maybe this was a brand related issue rather than the material.

nniff 01 Oct 2012
In reply to lukeanoble:

I dithered and bought Goretex again. Decided Paramo was heavy and hot, neither of which sit well with me.
In reply to lukeanoble:
> gore tex or e-vent or paramo..... Whats your opinion?
Controversial question! Each side of the Gore / e vent and paramo split will never agree !
> Generaly used in the uk, on the hills so waterpoofness..ness is important but so is durability and breathability.
For me overall and in most circumstances Paramo due to comfort, breathability, durability and repair ability. Yes it is or can be warm but I generally use it in the colder north and can vent to cool in most conditions even in heavy driving rain (the Aspira smock has something like 27 different ways to allow cooling if I remember the original ads correctly). I also much prefer to be warm and damp in Paramo than cold and wet as I typically have been in a laminated waterproof due to lack of breathability. Yes it is heavier, but it means less need to wear another layer or carry one in the sac. I usually just need a base layer and the jacket with paramo in most walking conditions, whereas I need at least one or two mid layers in addition with an laminated jacket in the same conditions and more faffing stopping to put on or take off.
I do have e vent jacket for certain circumstances, mainly where I wish waterproofness in warmer condition as its less bulky and easier to carry. My Paramo jacket is the norm all year round in Scotland though and has been well used and abused, and all you need do is repair when needed, wash and reproof and it functions as new. Rip a laminate or if it delaminates or breaks down, then it's for the bin. Most of my regular walking mates use paramo or cioch equivalent, but its not for everyone. Can't comment between goretex and e vent as never had a goretex jacket.
 Sharp 02 Oct 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: If you're trying to decide between membrane or paramo then ask yourself how much you sweat. If you found that your gore-tex jacket soaked you with sweat then consider paramo, if you've been quite comfy in you gore-tex then why not stick with that?

Personally I really hate the cut of paramo and think it's too heavy and hot for me. I don't sweat a great deal and Gore-tex has always kept me reasonably dry. Having 27 options for venting probably tells you quite a bit about the overheating problem.

Paramo is repairable but depending on how handy you are with a sewing kit it isn't necessarily easier to repair than a membrane jacket.
 mikekeswick 02 Oct 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: I like all three!!!
My normal mountain hardware goretex proshell jacket works amazingly. Helped massively by the long pit zips for the uphills.
 mrchewy 02 Oct 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: I found eVent needed washing too much and went back to Proshell.
 pff 02 Oct 2012
In reply to lukeanoble:
i have had 2 E-vent jackets ,and have found them really breathable,and lets out sweat ,but only when its not raining.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...