UKC

Places to go in alps for novices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BarmyAlex118 13 Oct 2012
HI
I was hoping to organize a trip to the alps for myself and few mates to the alps for next year.
I have been once previously on a introductory trip with army cadets were we covered the very basics on alpine mountaineering.
I was just wondering if there was anywhere in the alps which had easy grades and few glaciers and was on the cheap side of things.
Was thinking of heading out in June time or July time
marmot hunter 13 Oct 2012
In reply to BarmyAlex118:
Maurienne will fit the bill:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3793
 jonesieboy 19 Oct 2012

Sass Fee is not cheap for eating out, but you get a free pass for all the buses and lifts in the whole area if you stay in the campsites or hotels, which saves a fortune. The campsite at Sass Grund is opposite the gondola up to to huts.

There is a brilliant range of 4000m peaks to go at for beginners. I did a trip there a couple of years ago - my second and my climbing partner's first - and we had a great time. We started with the Allallinhorn (one of the easiest 4000m peaks in the alps) then did the classic traverse of the Weissmies, then the Nadelhorn. Just remember to pack light for the trip up to the Mischabel Hut - the descent is a brutal knee-wrecker!

My own first trip was to Arolla a few years earlier, which many folk recommend, but I think the Sass valley is a better place to start - better uplift, for a start
 Martin Haworth 19 Oct 2012
In reply to BarmyAlex118: Try Ailefroide in the Ecrins.
I second the comments about Saas. I went there earlier this year and found it most agreeable - the free (4.5 CHF tax really) lift pass was a bargain and made the trip a lot more affordable. We camped also.
I enjoyed climbing the Stelihorn which has a tiny glacier and can be done from the valley in a (long) day.

You can also get to the Saas Fee glaciers directly from the cable cars for practising technique.
In reply to BarmyAlex118: In addition to standard suggestions of Saas Fee/Saas Grund and the peaks in the immediate vicinity you need to bear in mind you plenty of other great locations nearby like the Moiry valley.

With the Parc National Des Ecrins, you have a choice of both side of the Massif - La Berade as well as Ailefroide - both of which are excellent.

You have other areas like the Parc National De La Vanoise that are very worth looking at for short easy Alpine routes.
 Up High 19 Oct 2012
You would be well advised to get your friends up to Scotland this winter and get some snow and Ice experience, this will give you an opportunity to practice crampon and rope work, and will make your Alps trip safer and more enjoyable.
OP BarmyAlex118 19 Oct 2012
In reply to BarmyAlex118: Ironically enough we stayed at the mischabel hut on my introductory alpine course and i will agree with you the descent is a knee-wrecker. I was thinking about heading back to sass fee area but was put off my the high prices.
Im hoping to get a trip sorted to scotland but i think there my be limited intrest on my uni campus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...